WAG Hours a week for training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2monkeys

Proud Parent
Our gym only offers our girls (level 2-6) 4 hours in the gym a week. I personally think this is absurd, they are not getting the training they need. We have to pay for privates to get more time in the gym. What are the average gym hours per week for your gyms? Thanks so much!

Yea, that is really low. We just started at a new gym. For the fall, the 3s go 11 hours, 4/5 is 14.25 and optionals 18.75 but it looks like there are extra vault/bar release classes for the optional girls too. Hopefully you can find a way to get more in. Good luck! :)

Preteam is about 4-6 (level 1 & 2), level 3 is 9, level 4/5 is 16 and level 6/7 is about 18 hrs a week. Levels 8-10 are around 22 I think. I agree that 4 hours a week isn't enough for especially level 3 and up. Just a mom's opinion but I think they need 9 hrs a week minimum to be competitive at even at level 3. We have gyms in our area that do way more hours than we do.

Pre Team (xcel bronze/L2) is 4 hours, L3 is 6 hours, L4+ is 9 hours. In summer xcel bronze and L2 is up to 6, L3 is up to 9, and L4+ is up to 12

Xcel Bronze was 6 hours, L3 was 9, L4 is 12 at the old gym.

New gym I'm not sure what L3 does. L4 is 12, L5 is 16.

Thanks guys. It's clear we are not getting enough training hours. Problem is we're in an area where there are no more options:( We are willing to pay more for more hours but the owner is more into Cheerleading then competitive. It really is unfortunate for our girls.

Thanks guys. It's clear we are not getting enough training hours. Problem is we're in an area where there are no more options:( We are willing to pay more for more hours but the owner is more into Cheerleading then competitive. It really is unfortunate for our girls.

Has anyone talked to the owner about what seems to be the going ranges for compulsory JO teams? More specifically have you surveyed the teams you see most at competitions? What region are you in?

These are the hours my current gym does:
L2 4 hours
L3 6 hours
L4 8 hours
We don't have anyone above L4 at my gym, it's a very small team.

I think the gym has made a decision on their business model. The owner leans toward cheerleading and those dollars.

I think unfortunately for more options you may need to travel further.

I think presenting what other gyms do and what the team is up against certainly wouldn't hurt. It's possible the owner isn't aware.
I think if they are a USAG gym the owner is very aware. He/she is just making different choices for their business.

We left a gym whose business model was heavily based on rec revenue. They have been in business for many many years.

They had team but rec scheduling was a priority. They know and they chose. I had to choose. I left. As did others. Owner is OK because rec business is booming.

OP knows, probably time to choose.

Unfortunate there aren't many options nearby.

How is it set up with such a low amount of hours? It seems like conditioning and stretching must be missing. During school my daughter goes 4 hours a day, but 1 hour is stretching and warm up and 45 minutes is conditioning, along with some extra conditioning in between sets on bar, etc. It seems like it would be hard to acquire new skills without the strength gained by conditioning.

Unless it is high quality, little wait time with condition
L3-L8 and Xcel Gold & Platinum 7.5 hours a week (if you go all 3 days and are there from start to finish).

Jr. High team Aug - October ... 7.5 hrs a week unless there is a meet, but they are allowed to stay until the end of "our" practice which adds another possible 6 hours.
Since 17 of these girls are also on our team, they will probably stay, giving them a maximum of 13.5 hours a week unless they are in other sports too.

High School Team Nov-March... 7.5 hrs a week unless there is a meet, but they are allowed to stay until the end of "our" practice which adds another possible 6 hours.

We actually are only able to go 2 days a week most of the time and have to leave a half hour early, so when Jr. High practice starts, we will go early and practice with them so we can get 6 hours a week. We will pick it back up when high school practices start.

Our gym is on the low end of hours, and that sounds even lower. Level 2 - 3 hours, level 3 - 4-6 hours, level 4-7 - 11 hours.

Now that to say, some of us Moms pushed for the option to do more hours for level 3 - thus the range, we have a choice to do 2 or 3 2 hour practices now. Can you talk with the owner and let her know you'd like more hours, and are willing to pay for it?

twin momma: I think that is the next step, talking to owner about schedule. Wish there was a recommendation from USAG to show her. :)

All gyms we compete against are getting 9-12 hours a week in gym. We do really good but could do even better if we leveled the playing field with more practice. Nearest gyms to us are 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.

And yes I'm totally willing to pay for another day. I am paying for privates now so it would definitely save me money.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back