WAG Summer camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sneezyone

Proud Parent
We are moving overseas next year to a location with less experienced coaches and limited facilities/equipment. DD will be training lvl 8. She should have her giant before we leave. That's all that she still needs for 7.

I am considering saving up to take DD back to the states for three weeks of camp midway through our stay so she can learn some new drills and up-train lvl 8/9 skills with a pit.

Has anyone done this before? Was it beneficial? What camps do you recommend?

I'm not interested in a chaotic 'mostly fun' camp experience but one that could help her keep up, skill-wise, while we are away. Small groups, quality staff.

We are moving overseas next year to a location with less experienced coaches and limited facilities/equipment. DD will be training lvl 8. She should have her giant before we leave. That's all that she still needs for 7.

I am considering saving up to take DD back to the states for three weeks of camp midway through our stay so she can learn some new drills and up-train lvl 8/9 skills with a pit.

Has anyone done this before? Was it beneficial? What camps do you recommend?

I'm not interested in a chaotic 'mostly fun' camp experience but one that could help her keep up, skill-wise, while we are away. Small groups, quality staff.
From what I've heard, the college run camps are better in terms of focused training.
Out of curiosity, if you are moving overseas, will she be competing there? I'm wondering how she will keep up if coaching and training facilities/equiptment aren't great?

Rather than a camp, I'd probably find a good gym in an area you'd like to spend some time anyway, or has cheap vacation lodging (Orlando comes to mind) and see if your daughter could train with then for a month. I think it might be more intense than almost any camp, it would be cheaper than three weeks of camp, and you could spend time together and see the sights on the weekends and evenings.

Rather than a camp, I'd probably find a good gym in an area you'd like to spend some time anyway, or has cheap vacation lodging (Orlando comes to mind) and see if your daughter could train with then for a month. I think it might be more intense than almost any camp, it would be cheaper than three weeks of camp, and you could spend time together and see the sights on the weekends and evenings.

I second this :)

Great suggestion. I've heard Parkettes has allowed guests gymnast for the summer.

One concern could be the conditioning level of your gymnast if you chose to visit another USA club. The NCAA camps would require a less conditioned athlete since they don't do conditioning. But of course without much conditioning there won't be many skills.

A couple thoughts. With limited gym time and equipment can she add in a conditioning program at home? Maybe talk to her coach here to get plan for the year?

Second, if you really want camps then the college camps would probably be the better choice. Or can she spend a few weeks back at her current gym? That way she can spend time with friends as well.

Your situations unfortunately is not ideal and training at a good gym (while better than nothing) may prove not to be as beneficial.

1). Whatever skills, strength your daughter learns or acquires could be lost quickly if not practiced.

2) Practicing at a gym where your daughter is not a team member or the coaches have not worked with or do not know her abilities may not lead or meet your expectations. They may not teach her new skills if her current skills or physical fitness is not where they want it to be. In addition, they do not have a vested interest to put forth the effort to progress her.

3) Before throwing in money for "better" training, evaluate your daughter's goals. Note that a three week camp is not likely to teach her and let her maintain the skills she will need to go further. It takes regular practice. If you will be moving back to a location that has better coaching and facilities, then perhaps a camp here and there may be helpful. But if you are staying overseas with inferior coaching and equipment for long term, I am afraid a camp here and there will not give you the progress you are hoping for.

We don't get a choice about moving so we have to make the best of it. I like the visiting gym idea, thanks. Conditioning isn't the issue, the lack of a pit and quality coaches is. From what i can tell, they condition hard.

I agree with finding a gym at which to work out rather than a camp, and I think a lot depends on picking the right gym. The only way to do that would be to talk to people (maybe even on CB) to find one that will work well.

We aren't traveling this summer (driver's ed is ruining our lives), but we have a relationship with a gym on the other side of the country where our kids work out when we vacation there. The coaches are terrific with both of ours and definitely invest in their success. It really only takes a day or so for them to figure out where they are and how to fit them into their groups and training. Likewise, there's a boy who visits our gym for a week or two in the late summer every year. The boys enjoy having him around, and last summer, he left us with a solid DB dismount on pbars that was very iffy and needed a spot when he arrived. I think I'd be looking for a moderate sized gym with good coaches and a decent number of kids at your DD's level in addition to a pit, and you definitely want one where folks tell you visitors get good training and treatment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back