Parents What to do...what to expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

notthatmom

Proud Parent
Hello everyone, I am brand new to this forum and looking forward to learning and sharing things with you all.

My daughter is just starting out in gymnastics, she has been in rec classes for about a year and a half (with a small break last summer due to a broken arm - non-gym injury).
I have some concerns with the current "coach" she has. I feel like the coach, who I believe is still in high school, is basically just teaching this class as a part time job since she no longer competes, she doesn't seem to care, or know what she is doing. I have "coached" my daughter after class on occasion how to properly touch her toes, point her toes, do a bridge, etc. (I mean really? How hard is it to show kids how to do that correctly?) Her regular coach was out a few weeks ago so my daughter had a substitute coach. I noticed a huge difference in both the coaching style and in the things my daughter was able to do. This coach showed my daughter how to use much better technique, corrected her feet/arms/legs when needed, and just like that, DD magically did the most beautiful handstand I have ever seen her do. She also started training her on conditioning for the harder tricks that she will need to master when she moves up, something her regular coach never does. I don't want to be that parent that tells a gym how to run things, but I am paying money for her to be in this class, she clearly has potential, but the current coach is getting her nowhere. My kid is strong, and her technique is impeccable when someone is showing her the correct way to do it. If I didn't think she had potential I wouldn't say so...I wouldn't spend time and money on a sport my kid couldn't be good at we would be somewhere along the lines of "Hey so I realize you go to gymnastics now, but how does T-Ball Sound?" ; ) ....I want to make sure she's getting the proper training so she isn't a recreational gymnast for 7 years....What would you say to the Rec Coordinator? How would you go about this?

Also, I am starting to prepare for what DD's schedule will be like once she gets to level 3 and starts competing, I just don't exactly know what to expect. I was a competitive figure skater, so I understand the commitment it takes to be in such a sport, but I am not too clear on it. I want to make sure that if I keep my daughter in gym, and she wants to compete that I will have the time and money to do so. I understand it of course varies from gym to gym, but what's the norm, how many hours, and the approx. monthly cost (if you don't mind sharing).

Thanks, I look forward to your feedback, harsh or sweet, I can take it all :)

If I didn't think she had potential I wouldn't say so...I wouldn't spend time and money on a sport my kid couldn't be good at we would be somewhere along the lines of "Hey so I realize you go to gymnastics now, but how does T-Ball Sound?" ; ) ....I want to make sure she's getting the proper training so she isn't a recreational gymnast for 7 years....What would you say to the Rec Coordinator? How would you go about this?

Also, I am starting to prepare for what DD's schedule will be like once she gets to level 3 and starts competing, I just don't exactly know what to expect. I was a competitive figure skater, so I understand the commitment it takes to be in such a sport, but I am not too clear on it. I want to make sure that if I keep my daughter in gym, and she wants to compete that I will have the time and money to do so. I understand it of course varies from gym to gym, but what's the norm, how many hours, and the approx. monthly cost (if you don't mind sharing).
First, it's great to assess now whether you can out the time and money into this sport. It's really hard to say what the norm is in regards to hours and cost. It varies so much. But know that both go up with time and levels. Also, there will be meet fees, coaches fees, uniforms and, if she gets to optionals, music and choreography.

Above all of that you need to decide why she's in the sport. You keep mentioning having potential etc. Are you asking if it's worth putting the money and time in as a gamble to where it will take her? This is so hard to say. Gymnastics is a long road. I think the focus needs to be on her enjoying the sport, gaining confidence, core strength, resilience etc.

First, it's great to assess now whether you can out the time and money into this sport. It's really hard to say what the norm is in regards to hours and cost. It varies so much. But know that both go up with time and levels. Also, there will be meet fees, coaches fees, uniforms and, if she gets to optionals, music and choreography.

Above all of that you need to decide why she's in the sport. You keep mentioning having potential etc. Are you asking if it's worth putting the money and time in as a gamble to where it will take her? This is so hard to say. Gymnastics is a long road. I think the focus needs to be on her enjoying the sport, gaining confidence, core strength, resilience etc.
I definitely know she loves doing it, I make sure to ask if she wants to keep doing it every time its time to sign up for a new session. When I ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, all she ever says is "to keep being in gymnastics"
I don't want to be that parent that pushes their kid at something they don't want to do.

I guess I am really just trying to figure out that if she wants to keep doing this, that I will be able to afford it (both with time and money) I don't want to get her hopes up and then all of the sudden have to pull her out of it due to the fact that the funds aren't there. That and I want to know ahead of time so I can budget and save properly in order for her to keep doing what she loves.

As far as the current coach goes, it just annoys me that week after week my daughter seems to be bored of the same stuff, and the coach has no idea what to do...she just looks around the gym for an open spot, plays around with the kids on one apparatus for 15 minutes, moves on to the next thing, doesn't TEACH them anything. I feel like if she had a different coach she wouldn't be stuck where she is. DD is already so much better than her coach thinks she is, coach just has no idea because she doesn't pay attention, and doesn't show interest. If that makes any sense at all.
If this wasn't one of the best gyms in the state, I think I would be much more vocal about my daughter's progress, but this gym is very credible and has an overwhelming amount of proof that they sure as hell know what they're doing... I just think they need to re-evaluate this one coach, so parents get their money's worth, and the kids actually learn something...

How old is your DD and what kind of class is she in? Is she in a pre-team group? If she's just in a regular rec class, you probably should talk to the gym about when/whether they plan to change her group to get her on track to do team if that is in the cards. Different gyms have very different systems for moving kids from rec to team, so you should find out what's entailed at yours. If her current coach is not coaching a group that's preparing to enter team or pre-team, the training may be somewhat different from what one would see otherwise, unless you're talking about very young kids.

It's very hard to know what to say about your post. I have two kids on team, both of whom have been competing now for at least four years and will probably both be L8s next season. A lot goes into learning foundational gymnastics skills, and much of what has to happen is not self-evident or self-explanatory to an observer who doesn't know the sport well. With gymnastics, too, some of the skills that look basic and easy can actually carry significant risk. To take just one example, you say "really? How hard is it to show kids how to do [a bridge] correctly?" Actually -- based on seeing dozens of kids progress from pre-team to optionals over the years, a bridge is one of those skills that can take some kids years to master with correct and safe technique.

In my experience, it's always fun when a new coach comes in for a few days and does things differently, and a couple of new drills can create the illusion of magic progress, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the boring old coach isn't any good.

I also agree with Sce. At this point in the process and for several years to come, the most important thing is not potential and your financial investment. It's her enjoyment in and enthusiasm for doing gymnastics. Without those two things, all the potential and investment in the world won't even get her to Level 4, much less wherever you think you might want her to go with gymnastics.

This sport gets expensive in a hurry. I live in a state that seems to be relatively inexpensive but will still shell out close to $3000 come competition time between tuition, coach's fees, meet fees, travel ( we have to travel EVERYWHERE), paying to get into the meets ect...

As to what to say to your current coach/rec director. I would first find out how your gym progresses through the pre team/ team levels. It could be your DD will only be involved with this coach for a short time. I am not sure I would say anything until I know how one gets onto the pre-team/team track.

How old is your DD and what kind of class is she in? Is she in a pre-team group? If she's just in a regular rec class, you probably should talk to the gym about when/whether they plan to change her group to get her on track to do team if that is in the cards. Different gyms have very different systems for moving kids from rec to team, so you should find out what's entailed at yours. If her current coach is not coaching a group that's preparing to enter team or pre-team, the training may be somewhat different from what one would see otherwise, unless you're talking about very young kids.

It's very hard to know what to say about your post. I have two kids on team, both of whom have been competing now for at least four years and will probably both be L8s next season. A lot goes into learning foundational gymnastics skills, and much of what has to happen is not self-evident or self-explanatory to an observer who doesn't know the sport well. With gymnastics, too, some of the skills that look basic and easy can actually carry significant risk. To take just one example, you say "really? How hard is it to show kids how to do [a bridge] correctly?" Actually -- based on seeing dozens of kids progress from pre-team to optionals over the years, a bridge is one of those skills that can take some kids years to master with correct and safe technique.

In my experience, it's always fun when a new coach comes in for a few days and does things differently, and a couple of new drills can create the illusion of magic progress, but this doesn't necessarily mean that the boring old coach isn't any good.

I also agree with Sce. At this point in the process and for several years to come, the most important thing is not potential and your financial investment. It's her enjoyment in and enthusiasm for doing gymnastics. Without those two things, all the potential and investment in the world won't even get her to Level 4, much less wherever you think you might want her to go with gymnastics.

She is 6 years old. She currently is in Beginner, which at our gym is a couple steps above the little kid/kinder rec classes, I don't think its considered pre-team until she gets to "Advanced" which is where she can qualify to try out for team.

I am not completely new to the sport as a whole, I did gymnastics as a child prior to (and during) Figure Skating, so I am aware of how to do most of the basic skills. I trust myself how to teach my kid how to properly do a bridge, what your feet should look like in a straddle, etc. but anything after say, a round off.... yep, no idea :)

I like your advice as far as talking to them about pre-team classes, and asking if there's anything else I should be doing. I mean how are they to know I want more for my daughter than a fun activity for Saturdays?

I agree that potential is worthless without passion, but I see what you are saying. I gather that you fear her passion/enthusiasm will dwindle in her current class and she will never know her potential. If she's in rec classes, change her schedule. Happens all the time. Cite a recent conflict & conveniently change her into a class that the substitute teacher runs. Ask questions about the team program, when/how are students selected. Make sure they know you are interested in that path for your dd. Inquisitions don't equate to pushy crazy gym parent. As far as time and money goes, well, the only way to gauge that is within your gym. We live in a very competitive state & our level 3's train 9-12 hours, but our tuition is fairly low compared to others throughout the state at about $150-$200 for compulsory levels. Tuition maxes out at about $400 in our gym. Additionally, I would add that even with all the cards aligning in the right place, there may not be a return on your investment. She WILL gain lots of critically important life skills, but in the end, you may still end up paying for college. Another thing, and this is where I struggle from time to time, evaluate YOUR level of passion! How much are you willing to give up for your DD's extracurricular activity? It is definitely a family commitment! & sometimes, I feel like throwing a tantrum bc of the things I personally sacrifice for her gymnastics! I readily admit to being selfish from time to time!

It's good you're thinking about this now. For us, the now eight? nine? year journey that has led to thousands of dollars a year, will have us in the gym a combined 40 hours a week this summer, and provided our family with an almost unimaginable (but worth it) insane roller coaster tour of emotional ups and downs all started when we came home to a phone message from the gym owner saying that he'd like to invite our then-rec DD to join the gymnastics preteam. DH and I looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders, confirmed with her that she loooooooved gymnastics, and said, "OK, sure, why not?"

Way back in the day, DD's team did not compete the equivalent of L3. They started at the equivalent of L4 and I think she did something like 9 hours a week for pre-team and maybe 10-12 when she started team just prior to competing (then) L5. DS did four hours a week on preteam and started competing L4 with something like six hours a week. I can't really remember well, but I think tuition was in the low $200s monthly. As others have said, both cost and hours vary quite a lot depending on where you are.

I wouldn't be too quick, though, to assume the coach is no good. We have a young man coaching boys' team (in addition to rec) who is finishing high school and is a former team gymnast. He had a pretty sharp learning curve, and if you'd seen him in his first few months of coaching alone, you (like some parents) might have been unhappy. But he accepted excellent mentoring and has developed quickly into a very fine coach who can handle even some pretty difficult groups well. We are all really going to miss him when he heads off to college, but if he's interested in continuing, some gym near his intended school with a boys' team and a shorthanded staff is going to hit the jackpot this September!

But bottom line -- as you recognize -- talk to the gym and see what the plan is. I wouldn't engage in subterfuge about switching classes if that's what you want to do. I'd ask up front about the focus and goals of the class she's in and, if appropriate, ask the gym to place her in a class that is more suited for her. But do be aware that a lot of what's involved in getting good at gymnastics is boring repetitions of skills. Just ask a certain pack of optional boys who will be working on roundoff technique tonight when they get to floor instead of "OMG dude, did you see that #@!@#! double front twist/double back flip/other instance of Extreme Awesomeness?! Dude, tape me so I can put it on instagram!" :D (I hear there is to be split testing as well . . . too bad I'm working late and won't be able to see it, hahahahaha!)

This is all so helpful, thank you all so much!!! I definitely just need to have a chat with the gym, and find out what the best plan for her will be. I'm ready for the repetition, my kid isn't even competing yet and I could probably perform the level 3 routine in my sleep just from seeing it while my daughter is in the gym. Lol!
I just need to get in-the-know of what's to come, once I do, and once the gym knows what track I see my daughter on, I won't be as "worrisome" (if that's the right word)

Talking with the coaching staff and letting them know that you are interested in team is aa good first step. They may move her to a different class as a result. Kind of seems odd that she is still in a beginner class after more than a year. You could also just take her to a different class with a different instructor.

As for the coaching strategies, rec classes really are just for fun. They are for improving strength and coordination, help kids figure out if they might like to do gymnastics more intensely, and help coaches determine which children have potential. This is particularly true for beginner classes. pre-team is where the girls begin to condition and begin working more drills that eventually lead to true skills. If that substitute coach was a higher level coach than the difference you saw makes a lot of sense.

I agree with the advice above to ask at your current gym about the path to/requirements for team and pre-team, and to express interest in that path. Regarding costs, I am in a fairly gymnastics-dense state (I have 5 gyms, in addition to the one that my DDs are at, within a 30 minute driving radius) in the Midwest. All in, I paid around $6000 for Level 4 (older DD) last year - this included monthly tuition, coaches fees, meet fees, apparel, travel costs. I will probably pay about the same, or maybe a little less, for Level 5 this year - tuition is a little higher (hours are the same - 16 a week - but monthly cost is up about $20/month), but will not have to buy Leo, practice leo/outfit, warm-ups and duffle as we are thankfully using the same ones that we bought last year. I definitely think that the $6000 figure could swing pretty widely either way, though, depending on the area that you live in.

I agree that you need to talk to your gym to see if there is a better class for your DD at the gym now and inquire about the progression from rec to team for the future. The only way to get this info that is specific for you is to ask. And, once your daughter is clearly on the pre-team/team path, you'll want to get the specifics for costs etc. for your gym.

But, in the meantime, to give you some comparison points, we are in a small gym in So. CA. For L3 girls, the minimum hrs/wk is 6, with practice being 2 hrs each session. This is the lowest by far in our area but somehow they are making it work and we are placing well at meets. My L4 is required to do 8 hrs/wk but does 10. Monthly tuition for 10 hrs. is $350. Private lessons aren't required but run $60/hr. if you want them -- we do maybe 1-2/month because my DD has ADHD and has trouble concentrating in the gym, so an hour of quiet time with just she and coach in the gym helps a lot. The occasional camp or special clinic runs $36 and we probably do 1 each school vacation week and 1 a week during the summer.

The team uniform package (leo, warm ups, bag) was $360. Meet fees for the fall are $700 -- the covers 7 meets including registration fees and coaches time. Getting to/from the meets is on the family. The optional spring meets were $500 (5 meets). If the gymnast qualifies for sectionals or state meet, that is extra (and about $100 - 150/each). Throw in about $100 each year for coaches gifts and $100 for two practice meets/evaluation sessions with paid judges. And I just added all of that up and really wish I hadn't... Yikes -- no wonder I always feel broke!

In terms of time, aside from the obvious practice times, each of the meets really blocks out the weekend. You are only there for 3-4 hours but you don't know when those hours will be until about 1-2 weeks before the actual meet. And even then the times can change up to the last minute so you leave the entire weekend open "just in case". For us, most meets are within an hour of home, so travel isn't too bad. Oh, and block out about 30 minutes before you leave to do hair! I swear this is the most annoying part of meets -- and the most frustrating for both DD and I!

That's a pretty complete picture of what it looks like for us -- of course, different gyms and different parts of the country have wildly differing expectations and fees, so, as they say, "your mileage may vary". Good luck!

I just need to get in-the-know of what's to come, once I do, and once the gym knows what track I see my daughter on, I won't be as "worrisome" (if that's the right word)

Oh, the worry never goes away :) It starts here, but it just builds. But that is what we are here for! To let you know that the worry is normal, questions are ok, and stress happens ;)

Welcome to gymnastics and to CB!

I agree with the advice above to ask at your current gym about the path to/requirements for team and pre-team, and to express interest in that path. Regarding costs, I am in a fairly gymnastics-dense state (I have 5 gyms, in addition to the one that my DDs are at, within a 30 minute driving radius) in the Midwest. All in, I paid around $6000 for Level 4 (older DD) last year - this included monthly tuition, coaches fees, meet fees, apparel, travel costs. I will probably pay about the same, or maybe a little less, for Level 5 this year - tuition is a little higher (hours are the same - 16 a week - but monthly cost is up about $20/month), but will not have to buy Leo, practice leo/outfit, warm-ups and duffle as we are thankfully using the same ones that we bought last year. I definitely think that the $6000 figure could swing pretty widely either way, though, depending on the area that you live in.
I think you might live in my state haha. Those costs seem what I was expecting... I figure by the time she is on a team level, my youngest will be school age, meaning I don't need to pay for full time daycare...I can just shift that budget over to gymnastics :)

Agree with all the great advice above on voicing your daughter's interest in team and finding out the plan for her. Rec coaches can vary widely, even in a well-known gym, so you are justified to ask questions and assess whether she is getting properly groomed for a possible team path. Changing rec coaches, if possible for you, is quite routine, so don't feel bad if you're still having gut feelings that the coaching isn't what you think fits your daughter, even after you've talked about her pathway to team with the head coach/owner/team coach. Even if you're wrong and she's great, switching politely will help you figure it out and you can switch back if so.

We're in a competitive area, more on the expensive end, and with monthly tuition, team/comp fees, comp attire, observer meet entrance fees, coaches gifts, and a few overnight hotel stays (not even any flights yet, and no private lessons), we will spend roughly 10K/year for L3 and 12K/year L4/L5 (hours and number of comps go up). Not counting gas money to practice, convenience foods due to late practice hours, and the like. Haven't reached optionals yet ;) It's a significant stretch for us, but it's what she loves. (And I also have a son gymnast! So nearly double the above for us - woo!). We have no expectations that either child will earn any scholarship. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but it is a longshot for any gymnast and does not factor into our decision to support them. And as you can calculate, if money for college were the motivator, we would do MUCH better by putting 10-12K a year away into a growing fund for the next 10 years than 'investing' it in gymnastics training. o_O

Note that I've read numerous older threads on about ways people can scrape together funds by volunteering/working at the gym, such as watching children, cleaning, etc, as well as many gyms having booster clubs that fundraise to offset costs. We don't have most of those ops personally, but many do find ways to make it work on tight budgets.

And, yes, prepare for your life to literally revolve around gym. Once she is competing, your weekends are mostly tied up and on hold, and taking time off for other vacations becomes constrained by worrying about the impact of lost training time on whatever is coming up next. But the good news is, since there is no money left for vacations anyway, taking time off shouldn't be so necessary :eek::rolleyes:

Welcome to CB!

I kept track one year when my DD was in compulsories. It was around $5K I believe but that didn't include meet-associated travel costs including a meet in Florida. We mostly stayed in the states that border ours so no airfare required.

I don't do that anymore because it was very depressing. Optionals seems even more expensive because now the leos are more expensive, there is music to buy and choreographers to pay. We go to bigger meets so entry fees for both gymnast and family are higher. We even sometimes have to pay for parking. Meets are further away so there is almost always a hotel stay involved. Plus there are mandatory and "strongly encouraged" summer camps, regional camps, clinics, etc.

I can't help but to listen without much pity when our L2 and L3 parents gripe about the costs. Monthly fees just a little over $100 while I'm paying close to $300. Meet fees about $50 less a month. $120 comp leos. No grips, no tiger paws. And when new parents come in at L2 wanting to know about scholarship opportunities, I'm flabbergasted why they would start down a road when they can't afford to take the first exit.

Gym becomes everything. No more other sports for my DD. Not with 5 days a week at the gym. She no longer has to decline birthday party invitations because no one bothers inviting her anymore....except other gymasts...her sister. She spends her time surrounded by amazing girls and young women who encourage one another and love one another even as they squabble.

She gets to travel more than most 11 year olds. She can check into a hotel and navigate like a pro. She can pack herself for a weekend trip. She knows the best way to load a car, how to remember to take her grips back to the gym, and has learned to tolerate long car drives.

It's worth every penny and every second because the kid you end up getting as they navigate this sport is just absolutely the BEST! Even if they don't win 1st AA.

Most gyms have more than one rec class. Why don't you just switch her teacher? I don't think you need to say anything, just say "we want to switch to Tuesdays" and if pressed just say "the coach seems fun but after XYZ subbed DD was hoping to continue with a stricter instructor on technique." Some parents and kids like fun coaches who aren't too strict. The gym is not going to fire her because you think your daughter could be on team. There is no need to get into all that. Just switch her time. If your gym only offers one rec class, you may want to look into a bigger gym if that one class does not meet your needs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back