WAG treatment of apophysitis of ischial tuberosity

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ascarter1

Proud Parent
Does anyone have any information on the treatment of apophysitis of ischial tuberosity. Dd was injured at the end of May. This is the diagnosis.

Also called Osgood-Schlatter and not uncommon I think in kiddos in sports especially around growth spurts. Treatment is usually conservative (PT, ant-inflammatories, ice etc). Hope she feels better soon.

Also called Osgood-Schlatter and not uncommon I think in kiddos in sports especially around growth spurts. Treatment is usually conservative (PT, ant-inflammatories, ice etc). Hope she feels better soon.

It's is on her hip/booty area. I had read that it was in the same family as Osgood-Schlatter. She was vaulting and landed wonkie. It hyperextended her hip. Her tendon has pulled away from that area of the hip on the growth plate. We are on 3 weeks of no impact and anti-inflammatories. Hoping she can start tumbling in a month or so! Luckily she was cleared to do bars as long as she dismounts into the pit, so at least she isn't falling too far behind.

Oops missed the ischial part. Back to anatomy class for me! Sound like similar treatment though. Glad she can do some training though.

What pain does it cause?

Years ago, while I was doing a split without warming up, I tore my tendon away from a bone in my booty. It made a snap and hurt really bad. I rested it, but it still built scar tissue and didn't heal very well.

I should have rested it more and apply light massage after 2 or 3 weeks to support the healing process.

However, I had pain along the ischias for years. Then did deep friction massage. The doctor went really deep into it and massaged the scar tissue. I did that twice for about an hours. I still feel it but just very rarely and not really bad.

I hope your DD feels better soon!

Be patient. According to my DD's orthopedist it can take months to heal. She was given stretches and PT to address it. After it didn't improve, an MRI was done and they found a stress fracture. So keep monitoring it and if there is no improvement go back to the doc.

Be patient. According to my DD's orthopedist it can take months to heal. She was given stretches and PT to address it. After it didn't improve, an MRI was done and they found a stress fracture. So keep monitoring it and if there is no improvement go back to the doc.

We go back in 3 weeks for a recheck. And I'm sure more x-Rays will be done. Luckily the bones looked great on the first set of x-Rays. Hopefully the tendon and growth plate continue to heal. She is so concerned about getting behind. The dr seemed optimistic about competing come January! Fingers crossed!

Thanks so very much for your responses!

My daughter is still coming good from that and competed at states and Nationals with it. The physio told us how to massage it and recommended training in compression leggings and putting a heat pack on it prior to training. He said that for some people stretching helps and for others it doesn't. They just have to manage the workload on it, particularly cutting back on vault and tumbling. It's been about five months but is almost gone now.

My daughter is still coming good from that and competed at states and Nationals with it. The physio told us how to massage it and recommended training in compression leggings and putting a heat pack on it prior to training. He said that for some people stretching helps and for others it doesn't. They just have to manage the workload on it, particularly cutting back on vault and tumbling. It's been about five months but is almost gone now.

Ugh! 5 months is so long! Eekk! The ortho seemed confident with the fact that her first unofficial meet isn't until November, with her official meet season starting January. I'm thinking the main concern is the exposed growth plate right now! Hopefully we will be cleared to tumble in a month or so. Oh dear!

Ugh! 5 months is so long! Eekk! The ortho seemed confident with the fact that her first unofficial meet isn't until November, with her official meet season starting January. I'm thinking the main concern is the exposed growth plate right now! Hopefully we will be cleared to tumble in a month or so. Oh dear!
I'm sure she'll be fine. Our girl had to pull back a bit in training and then just ramp up in the lead up to competitions. She was probably diagnosed two weeks out from her major competition season and managed to compete well enough at regionals to qualify for states, and then to compete well enough at states to qualify for nationals. At nationals she won AA and on floor, so even though she had the injury it was possible to manage it around her competitions.

The physio assured us she couldn't make it worse, it was just putting up with the pain. So he talked to her about where her goals were for the comp season and told her to focus on those rather than trying to do well at every meet. I would say you'll find she is pretty good by November, particularly if she pulls up when it starts hurting. The physio got my daughter to rate all the skills and things she does on a 1 to 3 scale. 1 was easy and no pain, 3 was hard and really painful and 2 was easy but some pain. He told her she should then look at that list with her coach and work out which level 3 skills were good enough that they could be dropped until just before a comp and what level 2 skills absolutely needed to be worked on. She and her coach then worked out a plan where she did every level 1 skill and the necessary level 2 skills up until a week out from each comp when they then added in all the skills needed in her routines. I wouldn't say her pain was any worse those weeks than the ones prior, although her but was often sore after the competition when she'd really gone out hard.

I hope that helps. It's much better than a stress fracture somewhere or plenty of other injuries and just needs good management.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back