WAG Ages at xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast9261

Gymnast
What is the "normal" age for someone to compete silver/gold/platinum at you gym? We started a bronze team, and most of the girls are 6/7/8. We don't have higher levels (yet), and since I'm being moved to xcel, I was wondering what to expect. :)

At our gym, the youngest Gold was 10... she was the youngest in our entire district. The oldest was 17.
Our team also had the youngest Platinum at 12. She was competing against girls up to the age of 18.

Only one team we face competes Silver, and both years, the Silvers were 12-13.

One of DDs gym had a rule that xcel was only for 13+ year olds. They competed silver and up. Another had golds who were 9-15 and platinums that were all 14+.

And you will also find more girls that are older, mostly because gyms won't put older girls in JO. Not due to any hard fast rule.

Our gym is doing Xcel silver for the first time this year. I don't know those families yet but some were younger... 10-ish? But two appeared to be in the 13-15yo range. Most of the rest of the levels are middle-school aged plus one freshman (diamond) and one sophomore (platinum).

i dont know all the ages, but the youngest silver last year was 9. the oldest bronze this year is 10.

The xcel at our gym tend to be much younger (with a few exceptions).
Silver are usually k-2nd grade age
Gold are usually 3-5th grade age

We don't compete below silver or above gold.

Our gym competes both Jo and xcel so if Jo isn't a good fit for whatever reason, they go the xcel route.

At our gym :
bronze - 7-12
silver 9-13
gold 10-15 ish
platinum 12-15
diamond 13-17

Our gym requires 2 years per level, and in most cases if the kid is ready for team before being 7 they go the JO route. I feel our girls are on the older side compared to a lot of gyms, although YDD at 8 was usually in the youngest age group for every meet as a bronze. She was in child B at states. ODD (10) was in the youngest age group for silver for every meet but one. She was in child D at states.

YDD gym
XB 6-12
XS 8-12
XG 10-14
XP only 1 was 15

ODD gym
XB 9-13
XS 9-13
XG 11-14
XP 14-15
XD 2 of them both 16

We have a very young gym. Our bronze ranges from 5-12, Silver 6-12, and Gold 7-13, youngest Platinum was 10 last year and oldest girl at our gym is 14.

At my old gym -
XB: 7-9
XS: 8-10
XG: 8-12
XP: 9-13
XD:13-14
although that gym trained the girls just like JO

My daughter is 8 and doing Xcel Silver this year - she was not ready to move to level 4 and chose this instead of repeating level 3. There are two 8 year olds on the team, and a few 9 year olds but I would guess most of the girls are 10-11. The golds are 10-14.

Our Xcel girls tend to be "old" for their level. Our HC doesn't like to compete teenagers at L2 and L3 so those girls get routed to Xcel. There are a few exceptions because some of our girls don't want the commitment that JO requires but are still "in age" (however you interpret that) for their level. But most of our Xcel girls are either already teenagers or getting there very fast.

At our gym the golds are 9+, probably most between 10-12. The two platinums that I know of (there are others but not sure of their ages) are 10 and 11.

It's really all over the place. We have competed against lots of gyms that do only Xcel or use Xcel in place of compulsories, they tend to have younger girls or at least a mix of younger/older. The gyms that use Xcel instead of JO for certain girls tend to have teams on the older side.
Last year we had a 7 year old Silver and that age group at States was tiny. She competed as an 8 year old Gold this year and had much more competition. We saw quite a few younger Golds at States.
This past season our Silvers were 8-14, Golds were 8-16. Next year we will have Bronze for the first time and all of the girls are 8-10.

At our state meet, 10-12 seemed to be the biggest groups for Silver, 11-12 for Gold, 13 & up for Platinum. We didn't have anyone at Bronze, but looking at results the whole spectrum seemed to be pretty well represented.

At my gym right now I am the oldest xcel silver, the youngest xcel silver right now is 6

XB=5-7
XS=8-9
We don't have any XG right now
XP=11-15
No XD right now
This is at my DD gym but there are no hard fast rules:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back