WAG Hours a week for training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think if they are a USAG gym the owner is very aware. He/she is just making different choices for their business.

We left a gym whose business model was heavily based on rec revenue. They have been in business for many many years.

They had team but rec scheduling was a priority. They know and they chose. I had to choose. I left. As did others. Owner is OK because rec business is booming.

OP knows, probably time to choose.

Unfortunate there aren't many options nearby.

Our old "USAG" gym owner did not necessarily know how other gyms did stuff. Just because a gym affiliates doesn't mean the people running it educate themselves to the full extent they could/should. Or maybe nobody has ever cared before and everyone's been content. There's zero harm in asking/presenting a case.

At my dds gym the hours are:

Preteam: 6h/w
Levels 1-5: 11h/w
Levels 6-8: 16h/w

But everyone does the same amount of hours in the summer which is two three hour practices week of straight conditioning and one 3 hour practice of just skill training (this is something new their trying this year as we got a lot of new kids for preteam)

Wow, that is low, particularly for levels 4-6. If your owner can't increase gymnastics-specific hours for a cheer-priority gym, perhaps there is some kind of extra conditioning-only class that could be added that a mix of athletes could attend? Adding, say, 4 hours of conditioning a week could propel their fitness and make better use of their apparatus time. Just a thought.

For reference, here's ours:
(don't do level 2, but preteam is 6 hours)
L3 - 9-12
L4 - 12-16
L5/6 - 16-20
L8-10 - 20-24

Hope you can effectively lobby for something :)

Mine is training level 3 and doing 9 hours a week currently. The kids compete here as early as level one, and for levels one through three, the hours vary from minimum of 6 up to 12, depending on which "stream" the kid is in. The tops kids do even more, but that is another story.

A gym in our area has their level 4s doing 25 hours a week in the summer. I personally think that's RIDICULOUS. But it does show the huge range you can find.

4 hrs for everyone! And that's middle range for our region.
It's never quite enough, but it's all we get. You can make it work, I'm all in for low quantity, high quality but it's no fun, no chitchat, lots of conditioning side stations and slow progress. And since we like to have fun every now and then, it's not as effective as it could be.
I have to say, I wouldn't let my girls train 10 hrs a week even if they could and it seems to be standard in the US. I consider free play time to be too important and school too exhausting. But 6-8 hrs and a smaller coach-gymnast-ratio would be nice and more relaxed.
-> Low, high quality hours are better then high, low quality hours but none the less, get a few more if you can.

At our gym in summer:
Preteam 6 hours per week
L3 and L4 15 hours per week
L5 and L6 20 hours per week
L7-L10 25 hours per week

During school year:
Preteam does 5 hours per week
L3/L4 10 hours
L5/L6 16 hours per week
L7-L10 19.5 hours per week

Pre team and level 2 for our gym does 4 hours during the summer and fall. L3 does 6 in the fall and has the option to do 6 or 9 during the summer. Level 4/5 does 9 during the fall and summer. Optional do 12 hours during the fall and 9 during the summer. However, we are a YMCA gym...

L2: 4 hours
L3: 8 hours
L4-6: 12 hours
L7-10: 15-18

These are year round hours, and are about the same as gyms in our area for the compulsories, a tad lower for optionals, but they have zero down time. There is no standing around waiting for a turn, they are doing push ups, chin ups, sit ups, handstand pop ups, etc while they wait.

L3- 9
L4- 9
L5- 12
L6,7,8,9,10- 16

We only have a very small level 6-10 team(5) so we have smaller hours reflecting as we have tried more hours but find ourselfs running out of stuff to do

My dd is a level 3 and goes 12 hours a week. They just increased the hours for several levels at dd's gym, which I am not that thrilled with, but I guess we'll deal. She did 6 as a level 2 and then increased to 9 when they started training level 3 after competition season ended. Now all level 2's start at 9 hours. And level 4 went up from 12 to 15-16 1/2 hours a week (with 1 extra required conditioning practice for the ones not doing as well :( ). They only practice 3 days a week too, so these are 4-5 hour practices. I do like that they only practice 3 days a week though.

My dd is a level 3 and goes 12 hours a week. They just increased the hours for several levels at dd's gym, which I am not that thrilled with, but I guess we'll deal. She did 6 as a level 2 and then increased to 9 when they started training level 3 after competition season ended. Now all level 2's start at 9 hours. And level 4 went up from 12 to 15-16 1/2 hours a week (with 1 extra required conditioning practice for the ones not doing as well :( ). They only practice 3 days a week too, so these are 4-5 hour practices. I do like that they only practice 3 days a week though.

Our hours keep going up too! The first year DD joined this gym, L4 (old 5) were practicing 12 hrs a week. The next year when DD was L3, they increased L4s to 15.5 hrs. This past season when DD reached L4, they added another day for a total of 19.5 hrs a week. I think it's way too much for L4, but what can I do? The reasoning was that they wanted them to be more competitive. Well, they weren't last season, hopefully this new season will be better.

Our girls are low average in terms of hours for our area.

L3 - 9
L4 - 12
Optionals - 16
Xcel - 8-11 (or the thereabouts depending on level)
@

We know that we have about the lowest hours in our area, but the hours are intense and very, very focused. The team does reasonably well in competition so I guess it works. They make up for shorter practices by being really strict (no talking, no breaks) and having 3 coaches (for 25 girls) all the time, so there isn't that much waiting time -- they are always working on something. That said, the absolute most you could do would be 12 hours, but I don't think anyone is doing that. Practices are only 2 hours each, so that would be a lot of days. My L4 does 10 hrs because that is the minimum to get independent study credit for PE. I wish practices were longer just to make the logistics easier -- we only drive 10 minutes but I know some families drive 30-45 minutes each way. So our minimum requirements are:
L3- 6 hrs.
L4&5-8 hrs.
L6-10 hrs.
We don't have anyone over L6 yet.
During the summer there are two optional early morning practices (6:30-8:30) and there are 3 1/2 hours of open gym that could be used for independent practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back