Coaches Tramp rig for floor skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
My university sports centre has recently been persuaded (by me) to have a rig fitted for the trampoline club to use during training. Myself and 2 other tramp coaches in the club are qualified to use it and it's been very useful so far.

The other day one of the cheer girls walked into the hall and started squealing about the rig, saying that she wants to use it to train her girls for somersaults etc on floor. I hold my hands up and admit that while I am a coach and I know a lot about trampoline, I know absolutely NOTHING about tumbling and other disciplines, particularly with regard to rigging. My first reaction when she started saying this was NO, GET AWAY FROM MY RIG, but I don't know if I can actually argue that it's unsafe/unsuitable. Are rigs used for floor skills different to rigs used for tramp? Should I be objecting and warning the sports centre that this is a bad idea or am I the stupid one?

Okay, my coach had a couple of spotting rigs around the gym when I was in gymnastics. He had one in the bar area and could put the double mini at. We would do double (sometimes triple) backs or I think some of my teammates did full-ins with it too. We also had a diving board in the gym that went up against the wall but the divers (and sometimes for fun we would do it too) could use it for new tricks into a pit mat. Also, he figured out how to use it for release moves on bars. Lastly, we had a more complicated spotting rig over by beam that could move with you so you could do different kinds of tricks or series. So I think spotting rigs are useful to other disciplines if they are training skills that would not be able to do completely on tramp or floor by themselves yet.

Hey Lucy,
A gymnastics rig isn't any different in my experience so I doubt they will do it much harm. Just make sure they know how to use it correctly.

An actual tumbling rig would travel with the athlete...but you can still do some things with the rig. I ALWAYS teach high school cheerleaders back handsprings in the rig...it's easier on me...I can spot more with zero risk of injuring myself.

See this video at 4:35...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back