WAG Scores bouncing back after L5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
L5 seems to be pretty commonly low-scoring in the grand scheme of things. My DD won 3 meets with mid-35 AA's, and she had been getting 36-37 in old and new 4.

Is it possible that her scores could bounce back up when she goes into L7? Assuming good solid training, no injuries or obvious setbacks, etc. Has anyone else's kid experienced this?

That would depend on why her scores are lower in the first place. If it is form issues, then that will continue to follow her into optionals, but if the lower scores are due to her not having precision in the compulsory dance parts for beam/floor, this won't matter in optionals and her scores would likely rise if she can perform clean routines.

That would depend on why her scores are lower in the first place. If it is form issues, then that will continue to follow her into optionals, but if the lower scores are due to her not having precision in the compulsory dance parts for beam/floor, this won't matter in optionals and her scores would likely rise if she can perform clean routines.

Her form is really lovely. We have had comments on it.

My DD scored much better in new 6 and new 7 than she ever did in old 6. For her it was some form issues, but she also just got stronger and being able to choose the skills that she put in (and left out!) made a big difference! So you may see a nice change in scores this year provided everything is cleanly done, and done to the required angles, etc.

There are so many skills in level 5, all of which are judged. When you do a level 7 routine with the minimum number of skills required, it is easier to score higher, provided you are competent with the skills.

Sounds like most kids (that I know) that did one year level 5 or old 6.

Some gymnasts just do not look good performing the level 5/old 6 compulsory routines, so floor and beam are a bust, and then bars is judged very harshly so scores are frequently low-mid 8s. Then, in level 7 the scores go up by around 0.3-0.5+ depending on the gymnasts fluency in the skills.

My dd is training level 7 (competed level 6 last season). She never compete levels 4 or 5, she scored out at an in house meet. What I did notice last season was her aa score dropped by 1-1.5 points from compulsory. She scored 38+ in compulsories and ended her level 6 just shy of 37. She always finished in the top 50% at each meet, and ended 4th in state for her age group. With all that being said, I personally feel that optional scores are a tad lower than compulsory. But that is just my experience. I might have a completely different take on it after this next season.

Wow. My dd has always scored higher at optional than compulsory , maybe it's the region?* we are in reg 1 and she's level 9....

Wow. My dd has always scored higher at optional than compulsory , maybe it's the region?* we are in reg 1 and she's level 9....

We are in region 8. When my dd was in compulsories, she was almost always 9.5+ on every event. She scored low 9's last season.

Who knows! Haha! It could be the region, it could be skipping 2 levels, I just don't know, and I only have 1 year of optionals to base it on. We will see what next season brings!

It's pretty individual, but I'd say for most kids, they'll do better in optionals where they can omit some elements that aren't as easy for them to perform. However, this may lead to scoring better but placing a little lower since a lot of other kids are also leaving out those deduction magnet skills. DD's floor scores went up probably .3 across the board because she was awful at straddle jumps. The best thing about DS moving to optionals will be never again having to watch the poor dear boy attempt a crappy back lever in a competitive rings routine. His L seat is pretty good. :)

ODD's scores definitely went up in optionals. She went up 1-2 points in AA from her compulsory scores. She has very nice form. YDD will be a L6 this season but her form is not as tight as ODD - so I expect her scores to not go up as much, if at all. Skill selection definitely plays a part.

Interesting!! DD is a "skill chucker", she can do gymnastics BUT her form isn't great. She wasn't a high scorer in compulsories and I'm not anticipating high scores in optionals, although there is something to be said for her being able to choose skills and dance elements... It will be interesting for sure, assuming she gets to do L7 (still up in the air, levels don't get decided until after summer her).

There are typically fewer skills in L6 and L7 routines than there are in the L5 compulsory routine. So, fewer opportunities for deductions. In general, AA scores seem to be 1 point higher on average moving from compulsory to optional. (looking at high scores, mid scores, averages, etc.) @ascarter1 , I"m confused, Did you dd compete L3 and below, or was the in-house meet her only compulsory comp? In general, L5 in notoriously low scoring. :)

We are in region 8. When my dd was in compulsories, she was almost always 9.5+ on every event. She scored low 9's last season.

Who knows! Haha! It could be the region, it could be skipping 2 levels, I just don't know, and I only have 1 year of optionals to base it on. We will see what next season brings!

I think that your experience is probably skewed by not having competed a season of 4 or 5 (and those being in-house). I have often seen girls rock L3 but have some difficulties in 4 &/or 5. The majority of gymnasts I've seen do much better at Optionals.

I think that your experience is probably skewed by not having competed a season of 4 or 5 (and those being in-house). I have often seen girls rock L3 but have some difficulties in 4 &/or 5. The majority of gymnasts I've seen do much better at Optionals.

You are probably right! I can't wait to see what this season holds!

Yes, my DD scored pretty high all year in old 4, ran into speed bumps with the (stupid) FHS vault in new 4, which killed her AA's, but she ended up finishing over 37, and then 5 again with the vault and harsher scoring. I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I'm hoping she can get back to 36-37 and maybe even higher since she has a top-notch coach now.

My daughter is a second year level 10. I can say scores can dip in the beginning of the season and in certain levels (which may vary depending on the strenght and weakness of the gymnast). Based on what I've seen at meets, kips and going over the vault table can be a struggle for many in Level 5. Level 6 is a slight modification, I think. So kids tend to score well if you have your skills from L5. Giants can be a drawback in Level 7. But scores seem to be higher because it is only slightly different from Level 6. Flippng your vault in Level 8 can draw scores down. Series on beam and release on bars can hold people back in Level 9. And getting your start value to be a 10 in Level 10 and get those bonus points also can draw scores down. Hard to really tell future scores. It depends on the training and strength of the gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back