Parents Homeschooling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are you doing actual homeschooling OR are you doing an online education option?
The answers are different depending on which way you are going.

I hope they don't have aspirations to be college athletes. If they do, you need to start now on your research at the NCAA Eligibility Center to understand what is and is not allowed for pure home schooling. While you are at it, you might as well start understanding how home schooling impacts the college admissions process.

Because:
If they do, you need to start now on your research at the NCAA Eligibility Center to understand what is and is not allowed for pure home schooling.

In other words, if they want to be college athletes coming out of a home school situation, there are extra things a parent is going to have to do to ensure they meet the eligibility criteria. Hence my suggestion to start now to research.

Reactions: sce
If they don't have college athletic aspirations, I would say to do the regular back to school shopping (pens, paper, glue, etc... and a few new clothes for good measure).
If you have not already notified your local school, you need to do that ASAP. They may have a home school program which will make the process easier.
If you are going it totally alone, you need to pick a curriculum.
In my state, parents have to tell the school district of residence what they plan to cover or what curriculum they plan to use. The local district then offers to have them come in during state mandated testing for the appropriate grade... just so the parents and district can see that they are progressing as they should. If the parents choose not to do the state tests, they can do portfolios and have licensed teachers sign off on a year-end assessment or pay for other standardized tests.

One website I was told about that is supposed to be really good is www.discoveryk12.com but I have not personally checked it out.

Good luck.

Cb has a private homeschool group that might help you. I would also recommend joint groups in your area - both online and in person. We have homeschooled for 9 yrs. Feel free to message me.

Oh, and while it is true that NCAA and college admission in general is a bit more daunting than if the kids were in public school, you do have time - figure out if homeschool is right for your family first. If you are still doing it a year from now and planning to continue on high school then you can start to look into requirements.

Homeschool legal defense has great resources for what is required in your state. I am lucky and have very few "requirements". We have home schooled from pre K on and my oldest is a rising 6th grader.
We started with a boxed curriculum (sonlight) but became more and more eclectic as we progressed.
We use apologia for science, notgrass for history, sonlight core and readers for literature, IEW for writing/fix it for grammar. We use singapore for math, but it is hard to enter mid stream, so maybe teaching textbooks instead for you all. The sonlight website has free placement tests and good info.
good luck!

Definitely join HSLDA. Here is their advice for homeschoolers seeking athletic scholarships: http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000002/00000217.asp

Just a note that HSLDA does not take on all cases that come through to them, and if you are not a conservative Christian, they will not support you (though they will take your money for membership).

I have two personal friends who have paid for the membership, and then been refused help from them. One was an atheist, the other was a Christian, but apparently not the "right kind" (and I have no idea where the line is drawn...).

I'm not trying to start something, and I know that many people are happy with their services and haven't encountered these problems. But I believe it's important for people to know this before spending the money to join.

Just a note that HSLDA does not take on all cases that come through to them, and if you are not a conservative Christian, they will not support you (though they will take your money for membership).

I have two personal friends who have paid for the membership, and then been refused help from them. One was an atheist, the other was a Christian, but apparently not the "right kind" (and I have no idea where the line is drawn...).

I'm not trying to start something, and I know that many people are happy with their services and haven't encountered these problems. But I believe it's important for people to know this before spending the money to join.
Thank you for this info!

So not true! They don't necessarily agree to go to court for each and every member's issue (something they are upfront about in the application process), but they don't discriminate based on religious views. They are actually very interested in the discrimination against homeschooling athletes pursuing athletic scholarships. When they won't help you at all is when you wait until you have a legal problem to become a member. They make it clear that you have to already be a member if you expect to use their services when a legal issue arises. Here is some info from their website...

Does HSLDA require its members to be Christians or to use Christian curriculum?
Our mission is to protect the freedom of all homeschoolers, no matter what their faith background. HSLDA membership is open to all who choose to exercise their fundamental parental right to educate their children at home, regardless of their religious beliefs. Additionally, we place no religious restrictions on member families’ choice of curriculum. View our membership application and agreement here.

We'd love to see you in the homeschooling group! My ODD is going into 7th grade, but we've homeschooled the whole time. I am starting my research now about NCAA requirements. Have you looked at/chosen curriculum?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back