WAG Connection Fear On Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone my name is Leia and I'm 14 and I'm training for level 9. I have been a level 8 for two years and I am going through a fear and I really need help! I've had my giants to a flyaway for years and now all of a sudden I cannot connect the Giants to the flyaway! :( And also, I will do my giants on the pit bar but won't connect it to a flyaway, but then when I get to the actual sets of bars I won't do either? What can I do to get over my fear! :(

• Strap bar giants
  • Tap swing to flyaway on pit and set
  • Cast horizontal and cast handstand to flyaways
  • Baby giants on pit and set
  • Giants with a spot
I understand this fear completely. I went through it starting about 1.5 months ago and the flyaway fear is still going on. The giants you just have to do a bunch on a bar you're comfortable with and figure out the timing again. My issue with the flyaway is the speed element. As soon as I slow my speed down, like from a cast horizontal to flyaway I'm fine. Just take steps back to where you're comfortable and do a bunch until you can move to the next step and feel comfortable as well.

• Strap bar giants
  • Tap swing to flyaway on pit and set
  • Cast horizontal and cast handstand to flyaways
  • Baby giants on pit and set
  • Giants with a spot
I understand this fear completely. I went through it starting about 1.5 months ago and the flyaway fear is still going on. The giants you just have to do a bunch on a bar you're comfortable with and figure out the timing again. My issue with the flyaway is the speed element. As soon as I slow my speed down, like from a cast horizontal to flyaway I'm fine. Just take steps back to where you're comfortable and do a bunch until you can move to the next step and feel comfortable as well.
Thank you so much I've been so frustrated lately and I've really needed some help thank you so much!! :)

Just take steps back to where you're comfortable and do a bunch until you can move to the next step and feel comfortable as well.
My DD is nowhere near these skills, but this sounds like great advice at any level! She is currently struggling with the jump to high bar, which she competed FINE for 4 of her 7 meets last season. :( It makes her feel better about herself when I tell her that even the "big kids" have times when the lose and regain skills too. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck to you both!

I think you really need a coach to work with you, but when my DD was having some issues, the two things that helped the most was doing a lot of swing flyaways into the pit and doing dead cow drills out of swing or giant. That's where you really just focus on releasing high enough and come out and land on your back rather than trying to flip the flyaway to your feet. As I understand it, for her the real issue was getting comfortable with making the release at the right point, and the drills, by eliminating the worry about landing the flyaway to the feet, helped her to focus exclusively on the release.

I think you really need a coach to work with you, but when my DD was having some issues, the two things that helped the most was doing a lot of swing flyaways into the pit and doing dead cow drills out of swing or giant. That's where you really just focus on releasing high enough and come out and land on your back rather than trying to flip the flyaway to your feet. As I understand it, for her the real issue was getting comfortable with making the release at the right point, and the drills, by eliminating the worry about landing the flyaway to the feet, helped her to focus exclusively on the release.
Thank you so much I will try this tonight at practice and also I am getting a one on one private tomorrow and I am hoping that will help! But yesterday I worked on giants separately and just a small cast into a flyaway and slowly increased the cast and I felt a little more confident

My DD is nowhere near these skills, but this sounds like great advice at any level! She is currently struggling with the jump to high bar, which she competed FINE for 4 of her 7 meets last season. :(

Not to hijack the thread, but my DD developed a fear of jumping to the high bar too. She was doing it with no problems whatsoever and just one day decided she was scared of it. No rhyme or reason at all to the fear - no falls, no seeing a fall, no injuries, nothing. The fear lasted about 8 months. What - ultimately - got her over the hump was her determination to make L4 this past year. She competed L4 this past year and acted as if she had never been afraid of the jump at all.

So I feel your pain (and frustration and worry), but it CAN get better.

Not to hijack the thread, but my DD developed a fear of jumping to the high bar too. She was doing it with no problems whatsoever and just one day decided she was scared of it. No rhyme or reason at all to the fear - no falls, no seeing a fall, no injuries, nothing. The fear lasted about 8 months. What - ultimately - got her over the hump was her determination to make L4 this past year. She competed L4 this past year and acted as if she had never been afraid of the jump at all.

So I feel your pain (and frustration and worry), but it CAN get better.
Thank you!!! Hopefully, this will be short lived!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back