WAG Suspicion that a kid has disabilities, help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Be aware that parents of a child with different needs can be in denial, they may not see the problems because they don't want to see the problems. It is a very emotional process to come to terms with your child being diagnosed with a disability and it can be very touchy. It may not be that they are not disclosing, it may be that they do not have a diagnosed problem.

Also if its their only child they may well think their behaviour is normal

Reactions: sce
I don't think she needs a separate facility, but a coach who's so new to coaching probably isn't an ideal match if the needed accommodations are difficult to implement. A more experienced coach might be better able to work out a good accommodation plan for the girl that will help her get all the wonderful things that gymnastics can provide for her.

As an analogy -- we have a few students in our program who have documented disabilities. Most have fairly simple accommodations that anyone can implement easily. For the ones who have more challenging issues, when we're advising, we always try to get them into classes with our best and most experienced faculty, because they're best able to balance meeting their needs and ensuring that everyone else is having a good learning environment and experience. We'd never put them in a class with a graduate student instructor because that's not good for the grad student who's still learning how to teach, the other students in the class, or the student needing accommodations.

She needs to be with an instructor who is trained to deal with this. In other words, tell your boss and they need to direct her to the correct facility. Not to mention this could be a safety issue.

I know, that in many towns, there isn't a "correct facility". Parents end up gym hopping hoping to find someone that will work with their child. I think trying to come up with some solutions first, that might help is key.

I mean, we have all seen kiddos on their first month of gym class that struggle. It is loud, busy, hot, chalky, and lots to do. Sheesh, most boys will want to just run around. It is how the coaches deal with it that will determine how it goes. She may need a more black and white thing, like a circle or carpet square to sit on utnil it is her turn. She may need to go to smaller class. We don't know. The key is to get the mom and supervisor on board, hopefully the mom first.

If mom approaches you again like that,you could say "yes, I have noticed that, but I do need to work with the whole class. Do you have any suggestions for what works for Suzie so that I can help her best learn?" If mom says 1:1, then you suggest private lessons, and give her your available times.

If you talk to the supervisor, please do so for ideas, or help in class. Please don't have someone that hasn't seen and does not work with the child talk to the mom first.

It could be any number of things, that could be a disability of sorts, could be that she is spoiled, could be that she has had a major life event happen and she isn't coping. IT could just be that she has never been in an environment like this.

Good luck! I do know how hard it is. In addition to having a child with special needs (that is now in AP Classes in high school, even with the "issues") i teach children with special needs. It can be tough. but like I said, we don't even know if this is the case with this little girl :)

A small investment of time, energy, and thinking about creative solutions can make such a huge difference in the long run. One of my very best students, who is now a member of the bar, was told early in high school that he should just switch over to the vocational track because he'd never be able to manage the more academic subjects. He and his mom refused to accept this "guidance," and I'm so glad that they did!

A small investment of time, energy, and thinking about creative solutions can make such a huge difference in the long run. One of my very best students, who is now a member of the bar, was told early in high school that he should just switch over to the vocational track because he'd never be able to manage the more academic subjects. He and his mom refused to accept this "guidance," and I'm so glad that they did!
I have a friend like that... 9th grade, she was advised to take vocational classes because she would never be able to manage the academic classes and would never succeed in college. She is now a college grad (Psych major with some ed classes thrown in for good measure) and works with special needs students.

To OP: as others have said, talk to supervisor and mom. Have supervisor observe class. Get suggestions for what generally works from mom. Supervisor really can't do much until he / she sees exactly what you are dealing with personally. You can explain it, but it will be from your perspective. The mom can explain what she sees, but it would be from her perspective. If the supervisor, from an outside perspective, observes the class, there may be really good suggestions of how to work with the child in the current class. An extra instructor may be added to the class. A class change to a more experienced instructor may be advised. There are several possibilities that would keep the child in classes at the gym, but would not result in the rest of the class being given less than they are paying for. :)

I recently came a situation similar to yours. I have a beginner class this summer and one of the girls was having a really hard time in my class. She would stand around until I was with her helping her and then when I did help her she was scared of everything or didn't understand even with tons of help. She wouldn't ask me what she was supposed to do if she forgot, and when she was working on her own she would just be having a really hard time with almost anything we did. I just felt like I was spending a lot more time on her than the other kids and that she wasn't doing as well as she could soI finally talked to my boss about what was going on. She was only 5 and usually kids don't move to this class until they are at least 6 (unless they are really excelling in the level before) so I thought her age could be part of the problem. However I had a 4 year old and another 5 year old in the class who understood almost as well as the older girls. I just felt that it wasn't the best fit for this girl so my boss ended up talking to her mom. It turns out this girl has a form of very high functioning autism. We decided that this girl should finish out the summer in my class and then in the fall she could go back to the class before where she would be more comfortable and excel more. Also, the ratio of kids to coach is smaller and therefore she could get the attention she needs and deserves.

Thank you so much everyone for all the great advice and responses! I will definitely ask my supervisor to watch a class. I will also ask the Mom for some techniques to better work with her daughter. If the mother continues to complain I will have my supervisor and I her talk to her.

Thanks so much! All the answers were so informative and had great tips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back