Parents Traveling with a friends' child.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I will be going to a few out of state meets this year and I need to take another team member with me. Has anyone been through this? What do I need to travel by airplane with her, and what documents does she need to bring? She is 12 and does not have ID.

[QUOTE="munchkin3, post: 409453, member: 21l be going to a few out of state meets this year and I need to take another team member with me. Has anyone been through this? What do I need to travel by airplane with her, and what documents does she need to bring? She is 12 and does not have ID.[/QUOTE]
Just a note from the parents... preferably notorized ... giving you permission to transport and sign for emergency medical care if needed. It is also good to have a copy of her health insurance card.

[QUOTE="munchkin3, post: 409453, member: 21l be going to a few out of state meets this year and I need to take another team member with me. Has anyone been through this? What do I need to travel by airplane with her, and what documents does she need to bring? She is 12 and does not have ID.
Just a note from the parents... preferably notorized ... giving you permission to transport and sign for emergency medical care if needed. It is also good to have a copy of her health insurance card.[/QUOTE]

I took a teammate to a meet out of state and took 5 to camp out of state. i had a note signed indicating that I could travel with them and where we were going, that i could make medical decisions and a copy of health insurance cards. None of this was ever asked for at any airport. all they did was look at the boarding passes and ask the kids their names. These kids were 11-14.

Ok, then....so a copy of the birth certificate just in case, the consent to travel form, signed by the parents, and the health insurance.....

I just hate having that kind of info in my possession. Really, I went thru security in 2 different airports with 6 boys, only one of which belonged to me. It was easy, since we werent leaving the country. But do what makes you feel comfortable. I really didn't want all that personal info on me LOL

I just hate having that kind of info in my possession. Really, I went thru security in 2 different airports with 6 boys, only one of which belonged to me. It was easy, since we werent leaving the country. But do what makes you feel comfortable. I really didn't want all that personal info on me LOL
I agree... The note from the parents should suffice...
And that is mostly for just in case something happens. Mine always has their names, coded birthdates, coded SS#s, and a copy of the insurance card on the same paper as the note. The note is at the top and the info is at the bottom, folded so it is not seen unless specifically opened. If someone opens it, they can see the children have insurance, but they really have no clue what the rest says :)

I'll bring as much as I can just in case.......the truth is, we have three (3!) far away meets and there are a lot of parents freaking out about how they are going to pull it off.....some just flat out can't afford it.....who can after gymnastics tuition right????

I would definitely have the child get a state issued I.D...this is easy! That plus a note from the parents would suffice.

You will almost certainly not be asked for a birth certificate, but I think I might take them anyway. You just need one over-zealous airport security person and all of a sudden you're held up and missing flights. Better to be over-prepared in situations like this.
Interesting. In Australia you need ID to get on a plane. So for a child without any photo ID (including babies) you need to travel with their birth certificate, which they absolutely check here.

I think you're technically supposed to have them here too, or at least you used to, because I remember traveling with my kids' birth certificates, but nobody ever checked them and eventually I stopped bothering. But if I was traveling with someone else's kids, I'd definitely figure out what the current rules are, enforced or not, and follow them to the letter.

I know we needed them ot leave the country, but that was it, and that was many years ago. Here is what I found:

. What ID is needed for minors traveling domestically/internationally?
A. Minor children (younger than 18) are not required to provide an ID at the airport security checkpoint. They will just need their boarding pass. All passengers, including children, on international flights are required to have a passport in their possession.

Ok, in that case I might print out that statement off the website and bring it with me...

Wow. I'm really quite stunned.
I'm having these visions of people kidnapping children and whisking them away on planes!

Are you allowed nail clippers, nail files, scissors, knitting needles, screwdrivers on planes in the US?
We can no longer fly with these as a result of our security being tightened after 9-11.
I *think* they will let you take the nail clippers if you rip off the attached teeny weeny nail file in front of them and let them dispose of it.

I don' tknow about all of those. I don't think so. No liquids thru security either. Nothing over (3 or 4) ounces. I always forget lol. But the kids, as long as their name is on the boarding pass, you are good. They just asked each kid their full name and where they were going. Gymnastics camp was NOT the answer they wanted LOL. Nor was "home" We had to tell them all where they were going..sigh. boys.

We did have signed letters from each parent allowing the kid to travel with us as well as medical releases. But we never had to use them.

Reactions: COz
full passports here @COz too, even when travelling domestically, with at least a month left on them (that caught me out) from the return date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back