WAG interesting development with JO/XCel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that the state meet does plenty to cover it. I'd hate to see it be *any* JO meet. My DD is likely going to do gold and at some point during the season will do one level 5 meet just to score out. Her gym is choosing scoring out of 4 and 5 and doing xcel at the lower levels. She isn't looking like she will do 6 because she isn't casting to handstand yet. So it will likely be gold this year, then 6 or 7 next year depending on how she does. I'd hate for that one level 5 meet to mean she couldn't do xcel state or regionals.

Reactions: sce
Um wow! I have no idea how to follow this and am just thankful i am not in this system!
It is not hard IF your gym makes a choice to compete one stream or the other... based on the individual gymnast. I think they should be able to decide season to season or year to year whether to compete Xcel or JO. I think you should register for either JO or Xcel and be in that until the end of the season (unless extenuating circumstances require a change... then a letter explaining the change should have to be filed... and you should not be able to go back again until the next season - Just like they do with Elites that want to drop back to L10 and L10s that want to drop back to L9.
I do not think they should compete a JO meet on September 6 then an Xcel meet on September 20 then another JO meet on Ovtober 4 and then back to Xcel on October 28 (you get the picture).

I think that the state meet does plenty to cover it. I'd hate to see it be *any* JO meet. My DD is likely going to do gold and at some point during the season will do one level 5 meet just to score out. Her gym is choosing scoring out of 4 and 5 and doing xcel at the lower levels. She isn't looking like she will do 6 because she isn't casting to handstand yet. So it will likely be gold this year, then 6 or 7 next year depending on how she does. I'd hate for that one level 5 meet to mean she couldn't do xcel state or regionals.
A score out meet is different.
That is why I think it should be "more than 2 JO meets" and they should add "at one level" to that.
OR, there should be a way to designate that a meet was for scoring out only, in which case, it wouldn't count.

sounds good, but like a logistical nightmare...so much paperwork....

Just curious, do kids who compete both JO and Xcel in one year pay two separate USAG annual fees?

USAG's year runs from Aug to July (based on registration and fee) so it would make sense that the "competitive year" would be the same time frame. Now if they said "competitive season" a case could be made for fall/spring season and they could do both…
Exactly by saying year, they have taken Early States out of it.

They are fine tuning and clarifying the rules.

Im totally Canadian so not in the loop, but to me it would make sense that an athlete should be either Excel or JO. I don't know why you would want your child in more than one stream unless it was to compete "down" to be a ringer.
Our gym does more then just JO. 2 years ago it was IGC and JO, last year Xcel and JO. Coaches likes the basics of JO compulsories and giving the team the fun of optional custom routines. They are appropriately leveled.

Quite honestly even in the same track you have "ringers" and kids with different training hours and regimens competing.

And to get to Xcel Regionals, they have to compete at Xcel States...

USAG says that a gymnast can compete in 1 State meet per SEASON and 2 per competitive year (Fall / Spring)... some states only have one season that runs year long (Aug 1-July 31 technically). Others have 2 seasons (Fall and Spring)... usually those states do Fall Compulsories and Spring (winter) Optionals - including Xcel. And New York has one long season, but offers an Early States option for L2-L6.

Looking at the region 6 website, Xcel regionals are May 21-22. And looking at the the NY USAG site all the compulsory state meets in New York are either that weekend or earlier. So this can be enforced, even with NY having one long season.

It's not the timing of the meets that changes anything, it's clarifying that it is a competitive year, not season.

So Region 6 folks would need to chose JO States, be it early or later or XCel states. You can still compete both you just have to choose which state.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I can only find that statement referenced to Level 7 and Level 8.

http://region6usagym.org/sites/default/files/SUMMER_2015.pdf

And it's entirely possible I missed something.

Edited for clarification, I think I misread. Three changes, 7, 8 and Xcel

Although the bold does imply it pertains to just 7 & 8, would love some clarification.

That while allowed is also not the way Xcel was intended to be used.

It was intended to be a separate track, and to keep kids and revenue in the USAG stream and out of IGC.

It is not being used they way it was intended. Folks aren't breaking rules though.

sounds good, but like a logistical nightmare...so much paperwork....
You can not go to States and Regionals without USAG knowing about it.

It is rather easy to track. The gymmies get registered with their USAG number.

True, but there would need to be someone looking for it, or the meet director would have to. I think the way they are talking about in region 6 would be fine but trying to keep track of how many jo meets or excel meets a kid has done etc would be the issue

It's not the timing of the meets that changes anything, it's clarifying that it is a competitive year, not season.

So Region 6 folks would need to chose JO States, be it early or later or XCel states. You can still compete both you just have to choose which state.
I as answering someone who thought NY JO states were after Xcel regionals, and were thus stating it was not enforceable. With the states being before or the same weekend, yes they will have to choose. Maybe before replying to each one of us you could take our replies in the context of the rest of the thread?

You can not go to States and Regionals without USAG knowing about it.

It is rather easy to track. The gymmies get registered with their USAG number.
Again read what she was answering above her! She was answering someone about making it more 2 or more JO meets, thus tightening it up to doing just JO or Xcel for the season.

I as answering someone who thought NY JO states were after Xcel regionals, and were thus stating it was not enforceable. With the states being before or the same weekend, yes they will have to choose. Maybe before replying to each one of us you could take our replies in the context of the rest of the thread?
I did read.

If you are in NY, you could go to Early States in Feb, then Xcel States and qualify for Xcel Regionals. They could go to JO States in Feb and Xcel States in March and if they qualify onto Xcel Regionals (if they are L2-L6.) The timing of the meets in NY is not much different year to year.

The 2015-2016 schedule also would allow for that.

It is not about the schedule, it is specifically about the change in verbage from season, to year.

So in NY with the rule change .

You can either,

Go to Early States Feb and Xcel States in March. But even if you are the highest scorers at XCel states you can not qualify for Regionals, because you did a JO state meet in the same year.

You can compete JO and Xcel and only go to the Xcel State meet if you want a chance to qualify for XCel Regionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back