WAG Simone Biles Went pro Today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I assumed she was already pro since she's on all the Leo catalogues. Is that part of national team contract to pose with Leo makers? Just curious.

My college experience just got bumped down about a half a notch. I go to UCLA and was really looking forward to future meets with Simone competing (not that I'm not looking forward to seeing all of the other girls listed above).

Pro= No competing NCAA ever, period.....but she can compete in her elite meets and now collect the prize money...she can do endorsements (i.e Under Armour, Subway) and get paid...she can go to college as a student, on her own nickel ( or should I say, many nickels)

Can someone enlighten a less than knowledgeable gymmom?
What does it mean for her to go pro? Does she still compete?
Man, do I feel ignorant!! LOL!
Yes, she can still compete. Now though she can receive sponsorship money. She can't compete n college though, as NCAA does not allow athletes to take money. There was a time when the Olympics were also only for amateur athletes, thus going pro also meant retiring. But the USOC changed that requirement, which is awesome as athletes in many sports can stay at it so much longer, as the sponsorships help pay for their training.

As for he above question about the leotard companies. Gymansts can model for them, as long as they are not paid (I believe they ca be given the leotards they model though.). Aly, Gabby and Nastia are all being paid by GK, thus their names being sued by the company Maybe Simone will get her own line now too?

I totally understand her reasoning but I am sad. We were scheduled to she her against University of Utah. Now THAT would have been a meet to see :)

I think it is great for her to go pro for herself and everyone else. She sweeps titles right and left with huge margins across the globe. She looks unfazed (almost looks like she is playing) competing at the highest level, college gym may not offer her a challenge. Plus it is good to keep a somewhat even playing field for college athletes. ;) I think we'll continue to see Simone in the international scene. At least, I hope.

It's really an unfortunate aspect of women's gymnastics that their peak happens before college, forcing them to make this decision.

It does seem unfortunate as a whole for gymnasts to have to peak so young either to compete internationally or get a college scholarship (you need to prove your worth to college coaches before you are college bound). But honestly, I think gymnastics is so hard on their bodies that 10-12 years of hard pounding is really enough, I think if my daughter was in this position, I would support her to go pro if that was what she wanted and not look back. Gymnastics takes so much of your childhood and time. I would love for my daughter to have the opportunity to explore other possibilities and experiences. Just my thoughts.

Yes, she can still compete. Now though she can receive sponsorship money. She can't compete n college though, as NCAA does not allow athletes to take money. There was a time when the Olympics were also only for amateur athletes, thus going pro also meant retiring. But the USOC changed that requirement, which is awesome as athletes in many sports can stay at it so much longer, as the sponsorships help pay for their training.

As for he above question about the leotard companies. Gymansts can model for them, as long as they are not paid (I believe they ca be given the leotards they model though.). Aly, Gabby and Nastia are all being paid by GK, thus their names being sued by the company Maybe Simone will get her own line now too?

Yep, my first thought was, "Yay, now DD can have a Simone leo!"

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back