WAG interesting development with JO/XCel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But isn't that the problem people were concerned with? XCel regional slots being taken up by girls who are primarily on the JO track rather than competing primarily in XCel as the program was intended?

I'd guess that if this fix doesn't solve the problem, the regional folks will crack down and bar XCel competition for those who've competed in some set number of sanctioned JO meets during a season. The state could also simply make a rule that a gymnast has to pick one state meet and one only. I'd be in favor of that. And I say so as someone with no dog in this fight, as DD's gym has exclusive JO and XCel programs.

But isn't that the problem people were concerned with? XCel regional slots being taken up by girls who are primarily on the JO track rather than competing primarily in XCel as the program was intended?

I'd guess that if this fix doesn't solve the problem, the regional folks will crack down and bar XCel competition for those who've competed in some set number of sanctioned JO meets during a season. The state could also simply make a rule that a gymnast has to pick one state meet and one only. I'd be in favor of that. And I say so as someone with no dog in this fight, as DD's gym has exclusive JO and XCel programs.
Exactly it is a partial fix, to a specific situation.

Girls using Xcel to by pass JO compulsories or Xcel girls leveled down, will still be able to qualify Regionals. And girls who are at gyms using XCel as a more recreational level will not be going to Regionals.

The only way to truly solve it (exception being the gyms that level them down to compete) would be say, once you pick a track there you stay, no matter what. Or not allow score outs in JO, because then there would be no point in doing Xcel to by pass compulsories, if you have to do at least a season at each level.

I don't see either of those things happening.

At the very least though it should at least be pick one track per competitive year.

Exactly it is a partial fix, to a specific situation.

Girls using Xcel to by pass JO compulsories or Xcel girls leveled down, will still be able to qualify Regionals. And girls who meets gyms using XCel as a more recreational level will not be going to Regionals.

The only way to truly solve it (exception being the gyms that level them down to compete) would be say, once you pick a track there you stay, no matter what. Or not allow score outs in JO, because then there would be no point in doing Xcel to by pass compulsories, if you have to do at least a season at each level.

I don't see either of those things happening.

At the very least though it should at least be pick one track per competitive year.
Or score outs could be done outside of the regular season... after Xcel Regionals or before the season officially begins. There are gyms that specifically host score out meets. I vote June or July would be a good time for these meets :) . The new year begins in August and, since the meet is designated for score out anyways, it would be fine.

Interesting. I wonder if other regions will follow with this rule? I know in Middle TN a lot of gyms will have their girls compete JO compulsaries in the fall and Excel in the spring. I wonder if they count that as the same competitive year.

I know exactly what you're talking about...

Interesting. I wonder if other regions will follow with this rule? I know in Middle TN a lot of gyms will have their girls compete JO compulsaries in the fall and Excel in the spring. I wonder if they count that as the same competitive year.
Yes, that is what they mean by same competitive year :) . There can be 2 seasons in a year. USAG says you can compete in one state meet per season with a max of 2 per year. If a gym was competing JO Compulsories in the fall and competed JO States, then competed Xcel in the Spring, even if they competed Xcel States, they would not be eligible for Xcel Regionals IF their region passed the same rule.

Our state tends to use Xcel for gymnasts who want less hours/commitment or are older or whom coaches don't think will necessarily be going to optionals one day. However, in the nearby states, there are gyms that use Xcel in place of compulsories, and sometimes for the girls they want to fast track to optionals, so these girls are often practicing even more hours than your typical compulsory girls and are very talented. This is very discouraging to the girls who have to compete against them at larger meets.

Our state tends to use Xcel for gymnasts who want less hours/commitment or are older or whom coaches don't think will necessarily be going to optionals one day. However, in the nearby states, there are gyms that use Xcel in place of compulsories, and sometimes for the girls they want to fast track to optionals, so these girls are often practicing even more hours than your typical compulsory girls and are very talented. This is very discouraging to the girls who have to compete against them at larger meets.
And that won't change with this particular rule change.

^^^^^ and it will just as discouraging to compete with them at regionals

Our region (7) doesn't even have Xcel regionals yet. :( Last I checked there was a statement on the region 7 website that basically says, "Yeah, we're thinking about it but it probably won't happen any time soon."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back