WAG A GoFundMe for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So here is a question. My DD willitbe an NCAA athlete, but I am curious about it generally, so let's pretend that's a possibility. My DD has an academic scholarship that lasts through high school. They pay for school, summer camps, travel, enrichment, and even for gym. They cut a check every four months to her gym for the cost of her practices. We pay meet fees/expenses. Would this preclude eligibility, or would it be the same as the stipend?
Because the scholarship is an academic one - not tied to athletics at all... and the part they pay for training goes straight to the gym, she would be in the clear.
Like with doing commercials - if they are being paid because of the athletic connection = bad... but if being paid cuz she's just another pretty face = fine.

Wow - thats a sweet deal, an academic scholarship that pays for an extracurricular activity? I've never heard of that before. Usually private high schools around me only do "need based scholarships" - nothing academic. Is the gymnastics a school team, or club team?

Her scholarship is independent of any specific school. It's club gymnastics.

Ok, so my DD is also not NCAA-bound, so again it doesn't really matter to her, but ever since my DD switched from a YMCA gym to a private gym, my mom has been paying her meet fees. She also pays meet fees for my nephew who goes to the same gym. Would that be an issue? Since my mom lives in the same town and does a fair amount of carpooling to/from the gym (I love my mom!) she's always just written the checks directly to the gym rather than giving the money to us to pay, so there would definitely be a "paper trail."

[QUOTE="MaryA, post: 408771, member: 80my DD is also not NCAA-bound, so again it doesn't really matter to her, but ever since my DD switched from a YMCA gym to a private gym, my mom has been paying her meet fees. She also pays meet fees for my nephew who goes to the same gym. Would that be an issue? Since my mom lives in the same town and does a fair amount of carpooling to/from the gym (I love my mom!) she's always just written the checks directly to the gym rather than giving the money to us to pay, so there would definitely be a "paper trail."[/QUOTE]
Family is fine. Even though there is a paper trail, she is involved with the children. She can pay their gym fees. It's not a "sports" thing ... it's a "grandma" thing. Wouldn't matter if it was gym or another non-sport activity. :)

First of all understand that fundraising does not apply in regards to the ncaa until the student-athlete is considered a prospect which according to the ncaa bylaws that means once a student is entering the 9th grade. That is when this situation gets tricky. Before that the ncaa has no jurisdiction.

Once the student-athlete is in high school, he or she can participate in fundraising as long as the money goes directly to the club and the club decides where to earmark the funds. Translation a booster can't call up and say I want to give you $1000 toward Suzy Smith's gymnastics fees.

What you have to really be careful with about accepting funds from outside the family is that someone who gives you money might be an alumni of the school the athlete ends up attending That will mess the student-athlete up quicker than anything.

I won't debate whether having a gofundme is in poor taste or not because everyone's situation is different. Perhaps the family has an Osmondesque size and that's the only way for everyone to know about it or perhaps the parent is just too busy to contact everyone personally. It's not our place to judge others' actions, but when the student-athlete reaches a certain age, the idea of doing that becomes a lot more tricky.

Now how much the ncaa really looks at such things is debatable. I mean technically it is a violation if a student-athlete runs out of paper in class and you give him or her some, but obviously that's overlooked. Truth is every major college program in the country has boosters who provide extra benefits under the table. I can say from experience that I've seen athletes get reduced rent, employee discounts on clothes or electronics while not being employed, free meals, and more while enrolled in college just because they are athletes. This is especially true of marquis players in marquis sports. The problem with the ncaa is that they're not always consistent in enforcing the rules. Things don't have to be Reggie Bush proportion for the ncaa to act, but the ncaa lets a lot slip through as well. Parents need to educate themselves on ncaa rules and abide by them if they don't want to risk the eligibility of their child.

I doubt NCAA goes looking for it. However, I'd bet the problem would come about when another gymnast, parent, or college coach remembers said Go Fund Me and wants to squeal. Sour grapes or not, if NCAA finds rules have been broken, they are not kind.

It is terrible to watch this story: http://www.si.com/college-football/...omeless-salsa-nacho?page=2&devicetype=default turn into THIS story: http://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...f-team-by-ncaa-for-accepting-a-place-to-live/

I think the problem in regards to gofundme type fundraising is there's not enough documentation to support it yet. This is a fairly new concept and the first time such an obvious paper trail has been available. I'm thinking we won't know for a few years how it will affect anyone because current prospects haven't likely had to test the waters

One thing is certain. Gymnastics is not a marquee sport where the ncaa can't ignore obvious violations (a la Reggie Bush) but it's also so competitive that you can't rule out the sour grapes concept either.

I think my advice on this would be probably fine in young kids but a definite no from pre-teen on. Technically they should be safe until 9th grade but this technology is so new to us that it's bound to muddy the water.

First of all understand that fundraising does not apply in regards to the ncaa until the student-athlete is considered a prospect which according to the ncaa bylaws that means once a student is entering the 9th grade. That is when this situation gets tricky. Before that the ncaa has no jurisdiction.

Can you please show this in a document. I have never heard this to be the case.

I have that same question Bog....as they are now recruiting and verballing middle schoolers, I think the concept of "NCAA prospect" will change to include kids in the lower grades , unless the NCAA polices itself by penalizing the college coaches for recruiting middle schoolers....

Because the scholarship is an academic one - not tied to athletics at all... and the part they pay for training goes straight to the gym, she would be in the clear.
Like with doing commercials - if they are being paid because of the athletic connection = bad... but if being paid cuz she's just another pretty face = fine.

On this scholarship issue. What if the scholarship was for gymnastics? Danusia Francis had a scholarship to a private school near to Heathrow gym and I believe Jenni Pinches had a scholarship to a private school because of her gymnastics also. They are both NCAA but received monetary contributions (school fees and accommodation) which was tied to their sporting prowess and athletic connection and which they almost certainly wouldn't have qualified for without it.

Presumably that is ok then?

On this scholarship issue. What if the scholarship was for gymnastics? Danusia Francis had a scholarship to a private school near to Heathrow gym and I believe Jenni Pinches had a scholarship to a private school because of her gymnastics also. They are both NCAA but received monetary contributions (school fees and accommodation) which was tied to their sporting prowess and athletic connection and which they almost certainly wouldn't have qualified for without it.

Presumably that is ok then?

Probably because the money was for academics and paid directly to the schools, but that is just my guess.

This is what I was told when I worked at a D1 athletics department. Of course that was 10 years ago so I won't say it's the same now. I did find a document put out by one athletics department about ncaa eligibility. The pdf which is linked below reads to me like 9th grade is still the magic number. However I am not a lawyer so take that for what it is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Y7aziEUxhTGKIktAA&sig2=i5rpjNBjo3z5GX-OskyBJA

What will happen to those young gymnasts who have popular youtube accounts and their parents are tempted by the ad revenue collecting that is available to those with popular video's?

What will happen to those young gymnasts who have popular youtube accounts and their parents are tempted by the ad revenue collecting that is available to those with popular video's?

Also a very good question. Revenue from youtube can be quite considerable, is taxable income and is documented.

Just look at sevengymnasticsgirls stats http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/sevengymnasticsgirls

It is a brave new world of money making, and another thing that parents should be careful of.

Can parents contact someone to ask for clarification?

But if the parent makes the money and it isn't spent on gymnastics it's okay though right?
I am not sure about this. Essentially, the parent is making money on the child's talent and work. If taken to court, I would think the child would be awarded the money, minus expenses of course.

Besides violating NCAA rules, I find it despicable that someone one start one of these accts next to another who's son has brain cancer or a parent who needs a stem cell transplant.

Personally, I don't like the crowdfunding for sick people/children either. There is no regulation over how the people spend the money. They can go spend it down the bookies if they want. I would love to know how many of the thousands raised is actually spent on the medical care they claim to need it for. Especially in the UK where treatment is free at the point of delivery.

At least with gymnastics you know you are donating toward a hobby, so not the emotional blackmail into donating.

I just donated to a gymnastics gofundme, so obviously I don't share the disdain I see here. Honestly, this sport is just so darn expensive that I completely understand why regular people explore every avenue to keep the dream alive. Especially once a kid shows the actual potential to take it to the top. I think if the rules prohibit It, the rules are the problem and not the fundraising. It is not the same as going pro and the line in the sand is silly. No one ever has to donate to any fundraising campaign, so if you find them distasteful then you can simply scroll on. I will say, I donated to a T&T campaign, so as far as I know ncaa isn't an issue- unless there are college programs now? I don't think there are, though.

Personally, I don't like the crowdfunding for sick people/children either. There is no regulation over how the people spend the money. They can go spend it down the bookies if they want. I would love to know how many of the thousands raised is actually spent on the medical care they claim to need it for. Especially in the UK where treatment is free at the point of delivery.
I am in the US but as one who works with medically involved children, I know first hand that even though their health care might be fully paid for, things like gas, meals, hotels, parking garage fees, etc. are not paid for and can really add up when a person is constantly in and out of the hospital. Also, in the US, not everything is paid for through Medicaid. There are some procedures, durable medical equipment and medications that are the family's responsibility. Case in point, I have a child who has out grown 3 orthotics for his feet in the past 9 months. Medicaid will only pay for 2 per year. So the parent will pay for 2 out of pocket this year, at over $500 a pair.

Not trying to start a discussion or debate on health care here so lets not go there. I just wanted to point out that there are other reasons for requesting money for medical care - even if it all seems to be paid for by the government.

Also, as I stated before, I do not like the gofundme accts for any reason but I can understand it a bit more for medical purposes, though as my dh quickly pointed out - why give away up to 10% (administrative fees) of your fundraising, presumably contributed by friends and family anyway? Just request it on your facebook page, which is how they let people know about their gofundme accts anyway.

Also, parents often lose or have to quit their job when their child goes through a huge medical event. Not just kids, adults too. I donated to a friend recently, insurance paid his medical care but he was out of work for months and will have some ongoing problems that aren't completely covered by insurance, also had to have family members leave their job because he needed round the clock care and help even after he was discharged. I mean I don't think anyone is obligated to donate but after seeing how it all played out I definitely saw the need for community help. Of course, I trusted the money was actually being out to good use, some gofundme pages are scams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back