Parents Crazy parents and home gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
Just saw a video on Facebook of a young gymnast doing back flip off of 3 stacked couch cushions. Onto some more couch cushions on the floor. SMH what happens when she pushes off on that unstable base and falls. Does that parent I hear in the background taping think couch cushions will help? I am horrified.

I would guess that many of them do much, much coaching while their children are at practice. Hopefully their kids will survive and move up, and they will learn to leave gym in the gym and coaching to the coaches.

I think after you've had a kid in gymnastics for a long time, it's hard to remember what it was like when it was all fresh and new. It's so exciting when they get those first big skills, and they love to show them off and you love to see them. If a kid gets skills really quickly, parents may not have been around gymnastics long enough to realize the dangers involved in doing some things outside of the gym -- they may never have seen a BHS go terribly wrong, a bad beam crash, or a kid peel off a bar. You also hear the coaches making all these corrections over and over again, and you learn pretty quickly that they're supposed to point their toes and keep their knees straight, so it's probably easy to slip into the habit of saying those things when your kid is showing off at home.

I think it's also about trying to send a good parental message. Wow, look at my child's work ethic! S/he is working so hard outside of the gym to get better! That has to be a good thing, right? So let's reinforce it!

That's why I think it's best to tread gently in letting people know what they're allowing their child to do is dangerous and counterproductive, but, if your opinion is sought, to let them know in the most tactful way possible. "Wow, that video is awesome! I'm just a little worried though -- when Stevie was that age and just learning standing back tucks, he and a couple of his teammates had some crashes that scared the pants off me. Thank goodness they happened in the gym with the coach spotting them!"

Last edited:
I know people do some crazy things, but even I was floored when I saw on Instagram this week a video of a Hymie doing a flyaway....on a home bar!!!

I think after you've had a kid in gymnastics for a long time, it's hard to remember what it was like when it was all fresh and new. It's so exciting when they get those first big skills, and they love to show them off and you love to see them. If a kid gets skills really quickly, parents may not have been around gymnastics long enough to realize the dangers involved in doing some things outside of the gym -- they may never have seen a BHS go terribly wrong, a bad beam crash, or a kid peel off a bar.
I understand what you are saying, but there is a difference in being excited and posting a picture of your kid doing, say, a press handstand or videos from the gym, and letting them do back tucks off the mantlepiece at home while videoing. That isn't overexcitement about skills, it is plain dangerous, and it doesn't require years of gym experience to know that! Sadly I really feel that some (not all, of course) instagramming parents appear to be more concerned about showing off than about the safety of their child. I do agree though about being tactful in pointing out dangerous movements, as being negative or unpleasant just results in a bad response and little chance of improvement in the child's safety, and that is the goal here.

Last edited:
I just think that even though it's very easy for us to see what's insanely unsafe, some parents can't anticipate the potential consequences of a skill gone wrong, and their enthusiasm runs amok. Think of the number of times we've had parents come on here all breathless about their three or four year old's awesome bridges, back walkovers, and back handsprings. And I bet there are some diving folks out there who have the same cringe reaction when they see videos of kids diving into backyard pools -- even, and maybe especially, gymnasts!

But ultimately we have to remember that many kids have no concept of danger or consequences and it's up to adults to put on the brakes. The flyaway thing reminds me of the flyaway competition that one of DS's teammates conducted with one of DD's teammates on a playground bar during recess. It was going just great until the bar broke, and apparently the playground monitors didn't realize until then what a spectacularly stupid idea this was! Thank goodness no one got hurt.

I agree profmom- there was a regular flyaway contest at my DDs middle school between two male gymnasts and no one but my DD seemed to think it was a terrifying idea. I think sometimes people just get caught up in the "how cool" aspect and stop thinking.

of course, I remember doing "flyaways" off the playground equipment in 4-5th grade with absolutely zero gymnastics training but a sense of fun and lack of fear...onto asphault. Kids will be kids - its our job as parents to draw a line, not encourage the craziness. IE climbing on the chicken coop and jumping off ok - but not with a double back!!!

Seriously, I can imagine many of these kids just do this stuff - and the problem is that the parents aren't being communicated with by the coaches from an early age about what's safe to try at home and what should not be done (if the parents are caught up in their kids amazing talent than at least let them know what will lead to problems in the gym - bad habits to fix, etc...)...as I've mentioned before I thought it was great that DD taught herself a BHS on a mattress on the floor at home at age 5 - until her coach explained what she was doing wrong and why it would be hard to fix later/and or dangerous. She stopped doing them at home and that was that. Little kids seem to just bounce! Parents need guidance and knowledge about the safety issues - these aren't coach potato type kids - they will push the limits - whether it be circles on the balls at Target, or climbing any pole they can find, even my oldest still enjoys showing off when he's at music camp - and hopefully isn't doing his double back on the grass as we speak!

Its like the early reader - if its your kid you are sure its a sign of genius...just not as cool to post on instagram!

I've been following one on Instagram where their entire living room is a gym. The kid's feet touch the ceiling when she's on the bar. It's crazy.

Aside from the safety issue...I mean, I think balance is important. Our house is for our WHOLE family, not just our gymmie. It's meant to be a sanctuary, not a place for pressure. When your living room can't be lived in because it's a workplace for just one of your kids...that's not balance. At least, not at my house.

if your opinion is sought, to let them know in the most tactful way possible. "Wow, that video is awesome! I'm just a little worried though -- when Stevie was that age and just learning standing back tucks, he and a couple of his teammates had some crashes that scared the pants off me. Thank goodness they happened in the gym with the coach spotting them!"

I recently had a conversation like this with a mom from our gym who has a bar and beam at home. She was very proud of all of the extra time she trains her daughter at home. I asked her, out of pure curiosity, where she learns how to teach form and spot bigger moves. It was a slightly awkward conversation, but hopefully they are being safe!

I recently had a conversation like this with a mom from our gym who has a bar and beam at home. She was very proud of all of the extra time she trains her daughter at home. I asked her, out of pure curiosity, where she learns how to teach form and spot bigger moves. It was a slightly awkward conversation, but hopefully they are being safe!
I took a similar approach with a Mom from our boys' team last year. I also mentioned a few times if the coach new what the boy was doing on the playground or at home. The Mom got a bit defensive and I just recommended she check with the coach about it. That diffused things and the coach did often put a stop to what the boy was doing and made recommendations for what was okay in those situations. I tried to be clear with the mom that I was concerned about her ds getting injured trying some things without a coach or proper safety equipment in place.

Just saw a video on Facebook of a young gymnast doing back flip off of 3 stacked couch cushions. Onto some more couch cushions on the floor. SMH what happens when she pushes off on that unstable base and falls. Does that parent I hear in the background taping think couch cushions will help? I am horrified.
That is just crazy!!
If you need the extra practice then go to open gym where you are supervised by a coach. My gym offers it free to all team girls and even if I have to pay $10 I think it's worth it.

The popularity of American Ninja is a great thing for gymnastics, especially boys' gymnastics, but I don't love that so many people seem to be building backyard courses.

I know parents get so excited when the kids are starting out. My daughter asked me to spot her on a back tuck in the yard when she was about 8. Easy! Right not at all. I got scared and snatched her out of the air mid tuck landed on my butt and almost peed myself. Lol. Last attempt at spotting. I guess seeing this kind of stuff is my fault for belonging to a Facebook social group called crazy moms and some dads of gymnasts.

The popularity of American Ninja is a great thing for gymnastics, especially boys' gymnastics, but I don't love that so many people seem to be building backyard courses.

Ninja isn't as dangerous as flyaways in a living room though. I'm sure there are ways one could get hurt if a course isn't built correctly and breaks at the wrong time, but I'd consider it a lot more safe for home training than I do any type of gymnastics cause rarely does one go upside down.

Those people on ANW are amazing - love that show!

Visiting a friend this weekend, neighborhood 5 yr old teaching herself gymnastics from you tube. parents think it's cute. Umm No.

Our kid, will condition at home. The occasional skill she can do really well on the trampoline, if known of her non gymmie friends are around, because I don't need the gymmies thinking they can fly.

Practice floor run through so without skills sure.

Skills, are for the gym, with proper equipment, space, safety components like mats and supervision/spots. Only person who should be spotting is someone trained to do so properly and safely.

Just how we roll.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back