WAG A GoFundMe for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is probably going to open another huge can of worms, but because I'm truly interested, I will ask as a hypothetical.

What if a hypothetical internet famous five year old gymnast were to sign with a "sports and entertainment consulting agency?" Certainly a parent wouldn't do that if it were to remove the possibility of NCAA gymnastics? Would you just sign and then decide later if substantial opportunities came along that made it worth it to lose eligibility?

This is probably going to open another huge can of worms, but because I'm truly interested, I will ask as a hypothetical.

What if a hypothetical internet famous five year old gymnast were to sign with a "sports and entertainment consulting agency?" Certainly a parent wouldn't do that if it were to remove the possibility of NCAA gymnastics? Would you just sign and then decide later if substantial opportunities came along that made it worth it to lose eligibility?

As soon as they ( or their representative) "signs" = loss of eligibility. Think Rebecca Bross , Jana Bieger...both went pro and had very little , if any , return, but still were NCAA ineligible because they went pro...

Her mom claims that it doesn't affect her yet because they "haven't been paid or accepted any money." I am not completely sure that it works that way.....

Reactions: sce
I am pretty sure in fact that once you sign with an agent, that is a bright line decision. Your eligibility is gone, not in any kind of arguable grey area.

Her mom claims that it doesn't affect her yet because they "haven't been paid or accepted any money." I am not completely sure that it works that way.....

If the mom has signed with a sports or entertainment agency, it does affect her kid because her kid is represented by an agent and is considered pro...whether or not she gets any revenue from it isn't the point, she has an agent, she's ineligible

I can only speak for baseball, but I do know my dad deals with high school players with agents. The agents have to follow a very clear list of guidelines so as not to remove eligibility. First of all they call themselves advisors not agents. They do not negotiate any deals nor exchange any money. That way if they don't like where they're drafted they can stI'll go to college. It rarely happens that they do but it is still possible. Gymnastics is a bit of a different animal than baseball though because there's no way to go pro in baseball before you're 18. That definitely can make the gymnastics waters more murky.

But what are those agents up to, GymAuntie? My understanding is that this would be more of a consulting thing, helping young players navigate the road to pro baseball/football/soccer, which in some sports may include trying to get an NCAA scholarship. That's very different from trying to figure out a way to monetize a child's sport participation.

That may very well be what it is in this case, profmom, except that the mom speaks of the amazing opportunities that await, which makes me a little nervous.

I was curious about this specific gymnast and recent "signing". First thing I thought when her insta and Twitter announced this sign w an agency was would it affect future eligibility. This girl is talented but mom also is very much so marketing her. I was always curious if all these insta gymmies would be a turn off to the bigger gyms/good coaches. Or does it get them noticed in a good way, esp if they go to a small gym? Curious on this subject.

So then my next question is, what if it isn't gymnastics related? If she is just modelling? Would that still affect her eligibility? Because then that would be a job just like a paper route or working after school at McDonalds. Yes?

And what about that only after grade 9 rule? I also saw that on the NCAA website. That they weren't considered prospects until they enter grade 9.

I was curious about this specific gymnast and recent "signing". First thing I thought when her insta and Twitter announced this sign w an agency was would it affect future eligibility. This girl is talented but mom also is very much so marketing her. I was always curious if all these insta gymmies would be a turn off to the bigger gyms/good coaches. Or does it get them noticed in a good way, esp if they go to a small gym? Curious on this subject.

No college coach is looking at Instagrams and Youtubes of five year olds. And I'd guess that when they are looking at channels of eighth and ninth graders, they may take into account whether the very early stupid stuff may look to have a potential impact on an athlete's health and longevity. I would also guess that a big gym with an elite program would think twice about inviting an athlete with a hyper-involved crazy looking parent onto their team. Most of them probably feel like they've reached their quota of crazy parents as it is. CB coaches, what's your take?

But I think they would be interested :/ the fact that you signed with an agency.

Read whole thread before replying next time lol.

It is just really sad to see this girl's chances taken away so young. What if she ends up I another sport?

I guess you have to determine if she's a gymnast who models or a model who is a gymnast. I don't think they've ever had to make these decisions about a 5 year old before. She can't even compete level 4 for another 2 years, right?

I guess you have to determine if she's a gymnast who models or a model who is a gymnast. I don't think they've ever had to make these decisions about a 5 year old before. She can't even compete level 4 for another 2 years, right?

Wouldn't you sign with a modeling agency then, and not a sports agency?

Yes, I'd think so. And the link in the bio says 5 year old gymnast, so I think even if you're modeling, it crosses that line since you're marketing yourself as a gymnast.

I know this has been talked about time and time again, but I am so creeped out by those Instagram pages of these babies trying to throw skills in their home gyms. I hope it is not the case, but it seems that this little one may have passed up a chance of eligibility...her mother is very clear that she is being represented. Hopefully, given who is representing her, the rules were kept in mind and that is not the case.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back