ILP levels ages

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Omg what is the ideal testing. So confused. Thing is the girls in her group (we just moved clubs) just got badged so the lady said I might have to pay $150 to have someone come out and badge her.

That sound like an IDEAL testing fee. Technically IL gymnasts do not need a badge test (though your state may require it) Generally IL gymnasts just need to have completed an IDEAL test to be eligible to enter competitions. There are only a few people who can conduct the tests and their time is what you are paying for.

[QUOTE="there is IL2, IL4 then IL6, there isn't a level 5 for the international level :)[/QUOTE]

I,m not so sure what level Queensland's ILP starts.... Must be 4 or 6. Thanks for pointing that out.

I am just concerned that the timeframes are so close between levels and that they have maximum ages

Essentially this often ends up being the deciding factor between a gymnast being able to stay in the IL program.

Your gymmy is just beginning her journey ( & mine considers IL9 motorbike landings for seniors LOL- so is also still a relative beginner ) so I wouldn't stress- the strength/ flexibility / work ethic will carry her far whether she remains in the IL program/switches to AL or ends up enjoying a different sport:)

Ideal testing is organised by GA in conjunction with the club. The gymnasts are judged on every skill and part skill in an orderly progression.

The preparation for this is entirely the coaches responsibility. No gymnast has to pass any set skill at any set stage but obviously there are GA & club expectations of a reasonable rate of progress. However it does allow some flexibility in an athletes individual progression. I wouldn't worry about - nothing we can do at home will help except being an enthusiastic support family :)

The most important thing is to enjoy our gymmies journeys no matter what path they are on :)

It would be a lot better for gymnastics in this country if it works for gymnasts to move from national to international. Our population is small and the international talent pool is tiny. We need to widen the pool t really become internationally competitive.
Totally agree, international is so closed minded, where to the point that alot of talented gymnasts miss out because of the timing, this way it would widen the pool as you say

From my very limited understanding thought the ideal testing is not a requirement at national levels so those gymnasts could be missing foundation skills but still achieving amazing results???

From my very limited understanding thought the ideal testing is not a requirement at national levels so those gymnasts could be missing foundation skills but still achieving amazing results???
What do you mean by foundation skills?

It was explained to me that nationals aren't normally able to swap because they are not required to complete ideal testing and therefore there is no way of determining if they have perfected all the skills to be able to compete at international level - not sure if this is the case just repeating info passed to me. I am pretty new to this as my little one is only in il2.

It was explained to me that nationals aren't normally able to swap because they are not required to complete ideal testing and therefore there is no way of determining if they have perfected all the skills to be able to compete at international level - not sure if this is the case just repeating info passed to me. I am pretty new to this as my little one is only in il2.
IDEAL testing checks things like strength and flexibility, it doesn't test skills like handstands or cartwheels.
It sounds like the person who gave you that information was a bit confused about how things work. Hopefully it was a parent and not a coach.

This is the information that was delivered by Jo Richards from gymnastics Australia.

If your child has Olympic dreams or potential they should enter international levels from the start is my understanding.

IDEAL testing checks things like strength and flexibility, it doesn't test skills like handstands or cartwheels.
It sounds like the person who gave you that information was a bit confused about how things work. Hopefully it was a parent and not a coach.
Maybe I misunderstood our recent meeting with Jo Richards and the pathway system???

@Supportive_Mum, my daughter has been doing IDP (IL now, I suppose) for some number of years now, and she is definitely tested on skills. I've just looked up one of her IDEAL skills reports and yes, they are tested on handstands, cartwheels, and many many other skills.

Testing has no implication on ability to swap streams.
What and how they are coached does. Being at a certain standard at the right age.
Testing has nothing to do with it. Its just to give coaches etc guidelines and to see if progression is on target.
Many national stream kids are able to swap over. Most aren't, due to lack of ability, poor coaching, coaching and/or gymnast policy of moving slowly though the levels, lack of interest.
But of course they are never going to demystify the international stream program or why would anyone buy into it at 5 years old :)

My daughter just completed her first IDEALS skills testing and the majority was skill based. Handstands, kips, cast to handstand etc..

Dd was invited over - she had to progress through the ideal skills from foundation level up.

This was worked at until she was level appropriate.
So when a gymnast changes to the IL program they do have to complete all the ideal skill testing - but there are not unrealistic expectations put on the gymnast- just a steady rate of progress expected.

The IDEAL test is based mainly on skills on floor, bars, beam, vault and trampoline. The idea behind it is that just training for competitions and routines is very limiting as far as developing an international standard gymnast, the testing exists to ensure all appropriate skills are being worked towards.

The IDEAL test is based mainly on skills on floor, bars, beam, vault and trampoline. The idea behind it is that just training for competitions and routines is very limiting as far as developing an international standard gymnast, the testing exists to ensure all appropriate skills are being worked towards.

Exactly but doesn't mean a child who hasn't done ideal testing doesn't have the skills, and being told that unless a child/family buys into the idp program at 5 then they can ever move across is incorrect, it is down to the program/child etc.
And all such a pity as the numbers moving on to Il 6 and beyond are pitiful. Whereas there are many, very talented age appropriate ndp gymnasts with higher skills and scores who (if they wished to) aren't given the opportunity to cross over due to not knowing about the program/availability or others being slightly too 'old'.
And disillusioned kids and parents of 'elite' talented 4/5 year old who quit because they weren't good enough at 8 or whatever, burnt out by high hours at such a young age, didn't live up to the elite expectations.

But yep spending a year perfecting a level 1 routine isn't a good use of time. Hopefully the changes in program will push through the low levels quickly so kids can then choose the path they wish to follow when they have more of an idea if they really want that pressure or are actually up to doing it.

Exactly but doesn't mean a child who hasn't done ideal testing doesn't have the skills, and being told that unless a child/family buys into the idp program at 5 then they can ever move across is incorrect, it is down to the program/child etc.
And all such a pity as the numbers moving on to Il 6 and beyond are pitiful. Whereas there are many, very talented age appropriate ndp gymnasts with higher skills and scores who (if they wished to) aren't given the opportunity to cross over due to not knowing about the program/availability or others being slightly too 'old'.
And disillusioned kids and parents of 'elite' talented 4/5 year old who quit because they weren't good enough at 8 or whatever, burnt out by high hours at such a young age, didn't live up to the elite expectations.

But yep spending a year perfecting a level 1 routine isn't a good use of time. Hopefully the changes in program will push through the low levels quickly so kids can then choose the path they wish to follow when they have more of an idea if they really want that pressure or are actually up to doing it.

I really don't think it's as simple as letting talented NDP kids move across to ILP. There are many, many things that 'good' International Stream Clubs look for. Having a child who is doing well and scoring amazingly in a National Stream isn't often a guide on how they will do in International Stream.

SO many of the girls who have been scouted to my daughters club were originally from a State Stream level 1/2. Its much more about potential, body type, parents height… etc ect…

I totally agree that they need to allow more girls to be able to transition over form NPD to ILP as there are many talented girls and in Australia we have such a small fish bowl to chose from.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back