Parents Starting training team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

theBananaBunch

Proud Parent
Hi everyone,
I haven't had time to check in or post lately but will hopefully more now. My 7 y.o. (turned 7 last month) was invited on the level 3 training team! They start this fall, then will compete starting September 2016. She is very focused and determined, but I am wondering if she is already behind for her age. Most of the girls in her group are 5 and 6. Do kids typically move up one level each year (depending on skill/ability)? Thanks!

Depends on the gym's philosophy and the child's ability. Our gym typically moves up 1 level per year but that's not what all gyms do.

Meh, don't worry about her age. She will progress as she progresses, there's nothing that can change it and comparing just makes everyone feel bad. Compare her to herself.

I'd say most gyms probably do go one level per year - but it varies. Ours does in general, but there is always flexibility for the individual kid. There was one girl in my daughter's level 2 group last year who competed level SIX this year. She also was a little older than the average, maybe that is an advantage.

The best kinds of gyms let a girl (or boy) progress at whatever speed is right for the girl. Ideally, a gymnast will score well at the level they are at, learn the skills for the next level quickly and be ready to go for the next season. However, if the gymnast cannot compete the next level's skills safely and will good form, then a good gym will keep her at the level she's at.

My DD trained with the Lvl 2s last year (she didn't compete although they did, but she did learn the routines and everything). This summer she's been training Lvl 3 but because she hasn't quite gotten her Lvl 3 skills, she'll be competing Lvl 2 this fall. Some of the girls she's training with might have to repeat Lvl 2 if they don't get their skills ready in the next couple of weeks. Those that repeat 2 will have a chance to move to 3 for Spring season if they score well at 2 and get their Lvl 3 skills.

I don't think she is behind for her age. My dd is a level 3 and most of the girls are on her team are 8-9. She's 7 1/2 and one of the youngest, but there are a couple that I think are 10 too. I think her team is pretty typical around here as far as ages go. I am sure there are some gyms where just turned 8 might be old for level 3, but I don't think they are the norm. My dd's gym seems to be one that does a level per year, unless you have to repeat. I think skipping a level is pretty rare at her gym, other than maybe level 6. I think you'd have to ask what is typical at your gym though.

Congrats to her! How exciting to be invited to team!

She is not too old at all for L3. There are many age 8, 9, 10 and older level 3s. Mine was 8.5, and she was usually in the "Youngest" age group when they divided the girls at competitions into equal-numbered age groups for award purposes. From everything I've read on here, there are certainly some gyms with very strict, young age criteria for team entry, but fortunately that is not the norm.

As others have said, gyms vary widely in how they move kids up in levels, so a talk with your head coach would shed the most light there. Repeating 1 or 2 levels somewhere along the line is fairly typical, though, for a great number of gymnasts in JO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back