WAG A GoFundMe for gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't find any info on the Shine Agency except some tours going around. Nothing about their services or what they do. Not even a regular website.

I would hate to think a beloved Olympian is doing something that isn't 100% on the up & up or that it is in any way taking advantage of families and kids with dreams, so I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that I just can't find the info or that the business plan is innocently unclear.

Tried looking for info as well on Shine. There is supposedly a website according to the article below but I found none.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/04/Labor-and-Agents/Liukin.aspx?

We may erroneously be assuming that signing with agent in question has something to do with marketing of the athlete, making money or could be some violation of the NCAA rules. It may be that or simply signing up with an "advisory agent". As mentioned above, this agency was founded by Nastia Luikin, who went pro before going to college. I am just looking at a more positive light and perhaps another side of the coin. With the knowledge Nastia has acquired going through the process of deciding whether to go pro or not, she may feel she can properly educate people so they don't make errors in judgment and are fully aware of contracts they get into. I don't know if she has regrets to going pro, has encountered some shady offers and may want to pass it on. I find it hard to believe that she could be exploiting these young girls. This could be like just being represented by a lawyer.

Nastia Luikin has been quoted as saying "she started the agency to represent athletes/people with stories to tell or brands to build"--whatever that means, Her current agent caught sight of her new company and her plans and has put her on alert that she may be in violation of her contract should she become an agent. She has since shied away or backed off on wanting to be an "agent" (?). She is also quoted as saying she wants to put into practice her sports managment degree as one of the reasons she started the company. A little confusing as to what the goal is of Shine Agency. Maybe once she puts up a website of if anyone can find the illusive website, we may be able to clarify things.

Some of this was referenced in the two posted articles... A walk on that originally had a scholarship to Cornell and competed for them. And some of his apologies were also posted.
But yes, he made mistakes. He has hopefully learned from them.

Cornell is an Ivy and doesn't give any scholarships (academic or athletic). They only do need based aid so it isn't possible that he had a scholarship to Cornell.

Inaccurate. Silas played for Cornell but could not have had an athletic scholarship as Cornell does not give merit aid or athletic scholarships. It is all need based. He may have gotten some financial aid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back