WAG Do you spot in a gymnastics turn?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sewin2music

Gymnast
Hi! I'm a former dancer and gymnastics turns feel all wrong. You turn on the wrong foot in the wrong directions and the foot placement feels weird too. But that's not the point. Does any one know if you are supposed to spot in a gymnastics turn? (Look at a fixed point then whip your head around when you can't see it anymore) Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you turn on the wrong foot in the wrong direction? The only turns I can really think of would be jump turns or pirouettes. The pirouettes were just like an inside pirouette in ballet. I always spotted. There does seem to be less turnout for the passé part.

In dance, you always spot and ballet does both inside (en dehors) and outside (en dedans), but most commonly used is outside. Gymnastics turn inside (the working leg moving to the front of the supporting leg). It is my understanding that gymnasts spot differently but they do spot somehow depending on where you are performing the "turn" and how many turns. Tammy Biggs advocates while doing a single turn on beam to spot the half and the end of the turn (both halfs). I think on floor, you may just want to spot the full. For 1 1/2, my daughter said she spots the first half and then a full. For doubles, she spots both fulls (so she says). For triples, she said she just pulls in and "GOES". :D

My DD is a former ballerina and she does spot her turns. Even if everyone doesn't do that (and I am not sure), it's just natural coming from a dancers background. She found the turns odd for the first six months or so also.

Reactions: sce
My daughter who does zippy ballet except for in gym class has been explicitly taught to spot on turns.

I am in Xcel Silver and my coaches teach spotting (they have taught that since I started gymnastics) hope this helped!

I spot where ever it is that I need to finish facing. On floor I pick an object some distance off of the floor to look for and on beam I just spot the end of the beam or the beam right in front of me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back