Q about next year - ON

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Odd that L10 is restricted to 13+, definitely a step away from the USAG program. Lots of 12 year olds are capable of L10.

I am very intrigued to see what Quebec is going to do as it seems to be insisting on keeping the CPP going here. Makes competing out of Province a bit odd.

Presumably National Novice HP, which is sticking around, would be for those 10-12 yr old capable of level 10 equivalent skills. No need to have a separate level 10 category for them then.

Presumably National Novice HP, which is sticking around, would be for those 10-12 yr old capable of level 10 equivalent skills. No need to have a separate level 10 category for them then.

That is my thought. I guess the US really allows for two streams, they are some young ones who have no intention of going to the elite path, so they go through the levels aiming at NCAA scholarships. Perhaps numbers in Canada really could not allow for 10-12 year old L10's as well as HP Nat Nov.

It is definitely a new world for Canada, it will be very interesting to see how this all works.

I guess. But I can't see a national novice who may have had a bad day at Elite trials and not making HP, having to go back and compete against provincial level 9s.

That happens in Junior as well. I saw it for my own eyes last year. A friend of Alex's who was a really good novice tried for Junior and had a horrible day...poor girl..and didn't qualify for Junior - she had to do Open.
I imagine her club tried to petition her in but I assume it didn't work as she competed Open all year.

It sucks. Too bad they didn't take half your scores from Elite Canada Trials and then 1/2 from Elite Canada. Or something like that.

But I guess you could say the same for Provincial Championship - you only have one shot.

I guess. But I can't see a national novice who may have had a bad day at Elite trials and not making HP, having to go back and compete against provincial level 9s.

That happens in Junior as well. I saw it for my own eyes last year. A friend of Alex's who was a really good novice tried for Junior and had a horrible day...poor girl..and didn't qualify for Junior - she had to do Open.
I imagine her club tried to petition her in but I assume it didn't work as she competed Open all year.

It sucks. Too bad they didn't take half your scores from Elite Canada Trials and then 1/2 from Elite Canada. Or something like that.

But I guess you could say the same for Provincial Championship - you only have one shot.

No no, I get that is just one shot. What I mean is that if someone is capable of Novice level skills, then has to go down and compete against level 9s, it seems a tad unfair to the 9s in my opinion. At least Open was somewhat on par skill wise.

And kitkat reading the link below it looks like Alex won't even have to requalify for Junior HP because it refers to athletes moving up as not having to requalify!

So previously you had to qualify just to go to elite canada. This new change looks like she can go directly to elite canada

But she will still have to qualify at elite Canada to go to nationals. (If I am readying this correctly).

Elite Canada has traditionally been in January. But it looks like they are doing screening in December and January for elite Canada qualifications.
So I wonder if elite Canada will be held at a later date.

Is this now your reading it?

And kitkat reading the link below it looks like Alex won't even have to requalify for Junior HP because it refers to athletes moving up as not having to requalify!

So previously you had to qualify just to go to elite canada. This new change looks like she can go directly to elite canada

But she will still have to qualify at elite Canada to go to nationals. (If I am readying this correctly).

Elite Canada has traditionally been in January. But it looks like they are doing screening in December and January for elite Canada qualifications.
So I wonder if elite Canada will be held at a later date.

Is this now your reading it?

Well my dd will need to qualify for Elite Canada because she missed it last year, but Alex has been so she gets a pass right to Elite Canada, even though she is moving up.

And I don't read that she will need to qualify for Nationals at Elite Canada. It doesn't look like there is any change to that part.

And I just wonder about the level 9, 11-13 age category. Will there be a separate category of this age group competing in provincial qualifiers and championships? Or does everyone in this age category try for Elite Canada as a Novice? Because anyone not making it then goes on to championships to try and make nationals right? A little confusing for me.

For HP novice, junior and senior - it looks like the only way to get to nationals is qualify at elite Canada. As they have no indicated any change to this.

I read this that those kids who do not make HP novice will compete as JO9 (11-13) and a maximum of 7 will go to nationals. (it's not clear when those are determined). I assume provincial championship. Because that's how the extras were decided last year.

It is a bit confusing. July 24th all the changes will be done so I guess we will find out from ther.

I do like that the screening for elite Canada is not until later. Last year it was mid-November and early December which is so hard on the girls as they are just really getting into it.

Well my dd will need to qualify for Elite Canada because she missed it last year, but Alex has been so she gets a pass right to Elite Canada, even though she is moving up.

And I don't read that she will need to qualify for Nationals at Elite Canada. It doesn't look like there is any change to that part.

And I just wonder about the level 9, 11-13 age category. Will there be a separate category of this age group competing in provincial qualifiers and championships? Or does everyone in this age category try for Elite Canada as a Novice? Because anyone not making it then goes on to championships to try and make nationals right? A little confusing for me.

Pre Novice is sticking around this year, not sure on the details though- I just know that there will be Aspire 1 and Aspire 2 instead of Aspire and Elite.

Anything yet?can you tell I'm so curious, even though it won't affect my dd all that much, lol.

Nationals:
JO10 (age 12-15)- 5-5-3 format for team competition, as well as 2 independents- max 7 athletes
JO10 (age 16+)- 5-5-3 format for team competition, as well as 2 independents- max 7 athletes
JO9 (age 11-13)- 5-5-3 format for team competition, as well as 2 independents- max 7 athletes
Day 1- Team competition and qualifications
Day 2- Top 36 AA finals

There are some changes from USAG JO to Canadian JO in Level 9 and 10, however I only have the Canadian charts at home, the USAG JO books are at the gym. I will take a look in the next little bit and see what the differences are.

CPN:
Aspire 1 and aspire 2
There are some changes including starting out of a 10.0 and using the JO code of points.
Aspire 1 routines are very similar to aspire routines before.
Aspire 2 has had some significant changes from elite including the introduction of flipping vault.
If anyone wants a more specific overview of routines and bonuses just let me know and I will post it.

So they have changed this year that if you were HP last year you do not need to qualify to go to elite canada.

So you know if that applies to those kids petitioned in last year?

One question I just thought of…Do you think all Level 9’s are required to go to Elite Canada trials? This would be the fairest as then everyone goes, tries to make HP, top whatever make it and the rest go Level 9. If not, what’s to stop gyms from not competing their athletes at it and competing them Level 9 to destroy everyone?

I don't think they will go to Elite Canada. I think they will compete as Level 9s all year and at Championship the top 7 go to Nationals.
Thats the way it was for National Open last year. They competed all year as Open and then they had the top whatever of one age go and the top whatever of another age go.

I don't think Level 9 or 10 will have HP status. Only Novice, Junior and Senior.

Thats only my opinion :D

One question I just thought of…Do you think all Level 9’s are required to go to Elite Canada trials? This would be the fairest as then everyone goes, tries to make HP, top whatever make it and the rest go Level 9. If not, what’s to stop gyms from not competing their athletes at it and competing them Level 9 to destroy everyone?

I don't think they will go to Elite Canada. I think they will compete as Level 9s all year and at Championship the top 7 go to Nationals.
Thats the way it was for National Open last year. They competed all year as Open and then they had the top whatever of one age go and the top whatever of another age go.

I don't think Level 9 or 10 will have HP status. Only Novice, Junior and Senior.

Thats only my opinion :D

But my original question remains. If someone tries for Novice or Junior and doesn't make it, will they have to do the 3 qualifiers to make provincials? And what if their club has done one of their qualifiers already?

Not sure about level 9. But if Level 10 is replacing National Open - then it would likely be no. National open didn't need to go to qualifiers last year to compete at Championship.
Maybe they will do the same with Level 9 that they did with Open. DO you think there will be more then 32 level 9s? If not then likely they would all qualify for Championship anyways. If you look back in previous years - Level 9 didn't have more then 10 kids.

I am shocked that there is no information about this available. Our coach is really good at relaying information and still nothing.

@Canadian_gym_mom I am not quoting your post - as I don't have the answer. My post is just a general observation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back