UK Competitions in General

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xxStumpyxx

Proud Parent
Now that my youngest is starting competing for the first time I have some questions about these competitions.

A little background about my daughter:
8 years old (competing as a 9 year old as turns 9 before the end of the year), no competition experience, quite low hours compared to a lot of gymnasts (trains 7.5 hours over 3 days), not on the Club Grade path but in the County Level pathway - basically competitive Rec. Competing 4 piece at an gym in the region against clubs from around the UK, not a big competition - just under 100 competitors split across the levels and age groups. This is a "challenge" competition (whatever that means).

There is another member on CB who will be at the same competition but the round before my daughter. I was in conversation with another member who thought she might know of a few of the competitors, it turns out she does. Through the chats I have learned that the gymnasts she knows of or have heard of are high level competitors that are on compulsory pathway and very successful and another successful at a county (levels?) pathway. There are all sorts of catergorgies -

Novice
Intermediate
Senior
Advanced
Elite

Don't know if I have the order right but here are he categories. These girls who I mentioned above are on entered at the Advanced level and not Elite. Is this normal? And are these small competitions usually dominated by these types of girls? Is it typical for some to compete a level lower than they are capable of. I am completely inexperienced and this might be normal and you are it's likely laughing at me for asking lol .

I had this discussion last year in regard to Alpha Factor. There were girls who were definitely competing "down a level" ie level 3 competing level 4, we were told that as it was an invitational basically there was nothing that could be done.

You just have to give your best performance on the day

Usually competitions have rules that state if gymnast done X competition they can't do X level but it's hard to say without knowing the competition and knowing the rules as this doesn't apply for all competitions

This is not a thread to have a dig at anyone or any gymnast, it is not my intention, just trying to understand the system. My daughter will not compete against any of these high level gymnasts, I only hope I am at the competition early enough to watch some of the early competitions. My daughter is not in this to compete, to new to this, she is just there is have fun and gain some experience and hopefully not have too many falls off the beam lol.

With regards to this particular competition at have no idea what sort it is, wether it is invitational or whatever, we don't get told these things, just bet told there is X competition on X date, do you want your child to enter.

With regards to this particular competition at have no idea what sort it is, wether it is invitational or whatever, we don't get told these things, just bet told there is X competition on X date, do you want your child to enter.

And honestly that's the best way to be!

I would like to apologise again if anyone recognises themselves, their gymmies or there club in my post, it is not my intention to hurt or upset anyone or cause them distress, I hope you have a great competition, I am very excited and cannot wait to experience the first competition with my youngest daughter no matter if she comes first or last.

Advanced is probably right for compulsory gymnasts. People refer to 'elite track', but it doesn't mean the girls are elite. I don't know the competition but if it is like most others invitationals I suspect the elite section will be for qualified elite level gymnasts and will be by age - eg Espoir, Junior and Senior. So compulsory girls would be advanced.
Novice competitions usually have rules about what the girls are allowed to have competed before and sometimes limits on hours.
Good luck to your daughter.

Which level would you expect an child to be entered in if they had passed their Club Grade 6 in age with distinction? Novice or Intermediate?

Really depends on what skills they have now and what the requirements for each level are.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back