WAG Difference in Regions: 7 vs. 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AgingHippie

Proud Parent
There is a little gymnast we know moving between Oregon and Maryland. Has anybody reading competed in both States and if so is there is a big variance in scoring between the two? We were just trying to figure out if there would be a big variance in scores for the same routine on a bigger level. I realize we all see variances even between meets in the same State, just asking in a general sort of way.

Not sure about that exact combo, but our girls and boys score similarly in and out of region 2...but can place better in Oregon with the same score because the talent pot is so small. (For example 36-37s usually place highly here...).

A kid getting 34s may still get a medal occ. here, but probably not in other regions. Our kids get similar scores at westerns and Nationals as state and regionals....

Not sure about that exact combo, but our girls and boys score similarly in and out of region 2...but can place better in Oregon with the same score because the talent pot is so small. (For example 36-37s usually place highly here...).

A kid getting 34s may still get a medal occ. here, but probably not in other regions. Our kids get similar scores at westerns and Nationals as state and regionals....
Good to know, thank you.

We don't belong in either region, but I too have noticed, Region 2 gymnasts can qualify to nationals with lower scores than any other region. So if you want to make nationals, compete Region 2.

Yeah - we just don't have enough kids at the higher levels so lower scores make it to regionals and nationals, as above. Still, as I mentioned, the individual kid generally does the same in both places (the rare Region 2 kid with really high scores still scores really well nationally...)

We have always heard Maryland was pretty tough so I think the assumption of this mother was Oregon would show higher scores for her DD. I'm not sure why it matters really, she would still be the same awesome gymnasts but I guess these are pretty natural things to think about when making a big move.

We have only competed in region 2, (both WA and Oregon). Our scores throughout the team always are slightly higher in OR, the difference is usually around 0.5.
That said, I think as a whole it's a hard scoring region. We see VERY few scores in the high 9's, and our gym is fairly competitive overall.

Scores in region 2 tend to be lower IMHO. Typically only the top 3 girls in any of our state compulsory competitions have a shot at a 9.0+ on any event. Only two or three girls last season got a 37+ and we have some very strong senior optionals who place at regionals. I think we had one or two at nationals from our gym.

Also good to note that, while the scores that make the podium are different between regions, the harshness of the scoring is different too. My experience from my home state in Region 3 is that scores across the board are much lower than even at meets in a neighboring state also in Region 3. E.g. my level 7 floor routine would score 8.7ish at its peak of the season in my home state. In a neighboring state I got 9.1 or 9.2. Routines would have to really "wow!" to go above 9.3, almost unheard of to see scores above 9.5. The gym where I coach now in Region 1 boasts a lot of compulsories with multiple 36 AA scores, and is a good team with a lot of talent, but doubtful that those scores would be as high in my home state.

It really does seem that everyone's personal experience is so different.

As a parent that doesn't notice so much of the finer details I tend to be oblivious. I will think it was a high scoring meet on one event and then a parent sitting next to me (one who seems to notice every tiny aspect of every kids routine) will tell me something like that was a really great fx routine for her, she's on today.

It really does seem that everyone's personal experience is so different.

This.

How an athlete performs after moving from one region to another depends on so many factors. A stellar performer in a small region means what? The athlete might be just as stellar in a large (presumably strong) region, or might not rise to the occasion. Conversely, an also ran might make a move and thru more effective coaching, rise to the top in a new location--but might that have happened with a coaching change in the old location?

Not sure you can really make a prediction based on the region someone starts in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back