Parents Puma Jr. is a little disappointed, but still looking forward to a great season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
You may remember we switched gyms two months ago, and we were originally told she'd have to redo L3 (which she did 2 seasons ago, then did Xcel Gold this past season with the goal of scoring out of 4/5 and starting optionals) since she had a lot to work on with form and strength. She has worked SOOO hard this summer and has improved so much that there was talk of 4/5! But today at the parent meeting (I LOVE that they do formal individual meetings!) they said that she's still not quite ready for 4/5. :( Devastating blow. But they are letting her do one of the 4/5 classes on top of the 3 classes, so it will be the 15 hours she trained last year, which she is psyched about. And they said if by October 30 she can show them all her L4 skills CLEANLY (she "has" all 4/5 skills, but they need quite a bit of polishing) she can join the 4/5 team! So she was pretty disappointed to not be put on it right away, but I'm trying to spin it positively and make a big deal about how much she has improved and how hard she has worked. This whole thing the last few months has been a huge ego hit for her, but she knows it's for the best in the long run. This morning was rough when I told her, but she's bounced back very well this afternoon and is happily playing with some friends right now. I am so thankful the gym is giving her a chance. It's clear they really care about her and have put a lot of thought into what's best for her. So we'll see what happens in the next 65 days...

I am so sorry to hear she is disappointed. It's hard to watch your kids go thru this. October gives her plenty of time to work on the polishing so hopefully it will work out the way she wants it. I am always amazed how quickly things can change. If not, she will sharpen so many of her three skills she will be fantastic when competing.

I'm sure she is dissapointed. Help her focus on the progress she has made and that she does get the extra opportunity of working with the 4/5 group. Part of this is reworking her goals. Before it was about getting skills, no matter what they looked like. Now having a skill looks different, as it has to have good technique and form. In the long run, she will really appreciate how much easier it is to build on clean skills.

Thank you for the update. I was wondering how things were going. I'm sure it must have been difficult for both of you to make the choice that you did. Your new gym sounds great and is really working to help correct the form issues and not just pushing you through. The coaches must have realized that if you were willing to gve up optionals to go back to L3 that you and your daughter were serious about correcting the form. Since she already has the skills , she's really going to be amazing once she gets everything polished. You guys made a great decision and I look forward to hearing about a lot of success in Puma Jr's future.

Thank you for the update. I was wondering how things were going. I'm sure it must have been difficult for both of you to make the choice that you did. Your new gym sounds great and is really working to help correct the form issues and not just pushing you through. The coaches must have realized that if you were willing to gve up optionals to go back to L3 that you and your daughter were serious about correcting the form. Since she already has the skills , she's really going to be amazing once she gets everything polished. You guys made a great decision and I look forward to hearing about a lot of success in Puma Jr's future.
I agree with this, as she corrects the form she will most likely soar through the rest of optionals. My ds is in a similar boat this year. Not moving up a level, as it was a question of fixing some things that were taught incorrectly in the past, or keep learning new skills but not fixing the technique in other areas. In the long run, slowing down should allow for a quicker progression later on.

Yep have her really concentrate on the L4 stuff, and form and she will sail. Especially that DFK :)

My guess is she know she is getting better and stronger its just going to take a little longer to see it meet wise:)

PS in a year she will be fine. You on the other hand might still be kicking yourself you didn't move her sooner. Said only because going on 3 yrs later, I still am, although not nearly as much as I used too. :D

Focus on the process not on the level number. If you are seeing improvement in the process all will be fine. A level is just a number, one many are way to centered on.

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.” Einstein

That is disappointing, but I'm glad they are letting her work the extra day with the higher levels. Our old gym let my DD do something similar a couple years ago when they made her repeat old 4. It definitely helped keep her motivated and interested.

Ditto what the others have said! She is in good hands and will have a great future in the sport. It's hard to step "backwards" a bit, but it will be worth it in the long run! I'm really glad they are letting her come to the extra class. That should help her stay motivated! I also think it's great they are leaving the door open. Maybe a little extra focus on those details will make all the difference.

Thanks for the update. I am glad that they are giving her a little more time. It may be tough now but in the long run she is going to be stronger and more confident.

I'm sure this will be us in a few weeks time. DD will most likely repeat 5 while her entire training group and friends move to 6. She just doesn't have the skills and will have a great year as a 2nd year 5, but I'm bracing myself now for the tears and disappointment.

My DD changed gyms this summer too, and will be repeating as well. I really think a bit of "back to basics" is just what she needs to really set her up for upper level optionals. Here's hoping its a great year for both our girls.

Especially that DFK :)
^^^LOL!!!! Ain't that the truth?!
You on the other hand might still be kicking yourself you didn't move her sooner.
I am. I had her all signed up and ready to switch 11 months ago and last minute old HC talked me into staying. I kind of feel like she lost a year. She'd be a solid 4/5, maybe even starting optionals right now...but I can't drive myself crazy about it. What's done is done, and we can only more forward from here! I just have to think about the positives...she did compete BHS on beam as a seven year old! (Ok...so it was a train wreck...lol) Thanks everyone for all your awesome comments! Her last week of summer training went great and she is DETERMINED to make that 4/5 team come Oct 30! I told her that even if she doesn't, it's NOT a crisis! I keep telling her to focus on taking correction, improving form, and conditioning...not what level she is. So we'll see....so glad CB is back and I'm not kicked out! I was wondering what the heck I had done to get my account suspended...haha!

Yes, you will go crazy thinking about it! We have (had?? Long story!!) 2 groups of level 5, 4 in each. Why they didn't put them all together, I don't know. But anyway, 2 different coaches with very different styles (actually that's a lie, one group has had 5+ random coaches this year). I eventually asked for my DD to be moved to the other group, and they agreed. She's come further in the last few months with that coach than in the last year. But there's still a massive difference between her and the girls who have been in this group for a couple of years. I wish I'd asked sooner.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back