WAG Wrong group? Venting.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So DD moved to the optional training group, new coaches, new kids, new responsibilities etc.
They divided them up into groups, from L6 to 10..... Pretty standard, although the 6s and 7s are completely mixed.......She scored 3rd out of 10 teammates at the L5 score out.

DD was placed in a group which I feel is below her skill level. (I said it!)
I think they placed her more for her size....she is the smallest on the optional team.

The issue is not so much with 'which' group, it's more that her group does not get to train with head coach. THATS my issue.
While everyone is being drilled, this group is kinda off training with assistant coach, doing other skills.......

So.......I have kept my mouth shut even with my DD. She has stated that you can change groups if you work hard, and her personal goal is to move up in groups. She has stood out within her group already, and Head coach has even given her some corrections from across the gym.....good stuff.....

But I can't help be irked that she was overlooked because of size. And I feel so critical with the new workout! More unsupervised conditioning etc......

I will wait another few weeks until the dust settles from back to school, and gym changes and then I will re-asses.....

Lord give me the power to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!!!!!!! For now.

Frustrating, to be sure, but it sounds like she is handling it really well. I probably have an extra stash of duct tape around here somewhere you can borrow. I'm not using it at the moment, as DD is in a boot for three more weeks and not vaulting . . .

You guys are all right! Thanks....I knew id get a dose of sanity......hopefully I can reply soon that she was moved.

Zebra stripe duct tape is my favorite....

but I steel feel ALL the girls should get equal time with Head Coach on bars.....

I doubt she was overlooked because of size. Most likely the divisions have to do with something else. No coach or head coach wants their team to be bad so it doesn't make sense to put a kid in a different group than one they are capable of. Divisions are necessary in order to have a good ratio. It sounds like your daughter is still making progress.

Yes, gymdog, but remember, the man who divided the girls up, does not know my DD at all....he has never trained her.....
Buy whatever.....it will sort itself out I'm sure....

So DD moved to the optional training group, new coaches, new kids, new responsibilities etc.
They divided them up into groups, from L6 to 10..... Pretty standard, although the 6s and 7s are completely mixed.......She scored 3rd out of 10 teammates at the L5 score out.

DD was placed in a group which I feel is below her skill level. (I said it!)
I think they placed her more for her size....she is the smallest on the optional team.

The issue is not so much with 'which' group, it's more that her group does not get to train with head coach. THATS my issue.
While everyone is being drilled, this group is kinda off training with assistant coach, doing other skills.......

So.......I have kept my mouth shut even with my DD. She has stated that you can change groups if you work hard, and her personal goal is to move up in groups. She has stood out within her group already, and Head coach has even given her some corrections from across the gym.....good stuff.....

But I can't help be irked that she was overlooked because of size. And I feel so critical with the new workout! More unsupervised conditioning etc......

I will wait another few weeks until the dust settles from back to school, and gym changes and then I will re-asses.....

Lord give me the power to KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT!!!!!!! For now.
I am pretty sure half my parents think their kids are put in the wrong group and bein held back because of it. So it's pretty normal. :)

What group was she put into and what group do you think she belongs? Is there more than one group per level. Very few (if any) coaches are going to group by size over skill level. Age and maturity, yes. But not size. that makes no sense. Regardless, you are doing the right thing by staying quiet. If she truly is in the wrong group, it will get sorted out soon by how she does in practice.

I don't know how it is at your gym but our incoming/new optionals don't necessarily get to work with the "best" coach. All coaches have a limited number of hours they can coach and at least where we are, our best coach works with the upper/more experienced optionals while the new optionals get the less experienced, but still qualified, optional coaches.

I don't know how it is at your gym but our incoming/new optionals don't necessarily get to work with the "best" coach. All coaches have a limited number of hours they can coach and at least where we are, our best coach works with the upper/more experienced optionals while the new optionals get the less experienced, but still qualified, optional coaches.
Yes, very similar. Except head coach told me he would train all of them......but let's see how things settle once school and schedules settle down.....
Again, this is not about the group so much, it's more about some groups getting head coach and others not......out of 10 girls in her original group, she finished 3rd at the last score out.....5 were placed in the group that trains with head coach...hers does NOT........once again, head coach knows nothing about my daughter so I think time is the best course.
Obviously they all need to progress, and I hope that skill level and desire will soon show through.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back