WAG Wrong group? Venting.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the fact that HC has noticed and corrected her from across the room means that it will sort itself out. Clearly HC is still noticing stuff that is happening there.
Good luck! :)

Yes, gymdog, but remember, the man who divided the girls up, does not know my DD at all....he has never trained her.....
Buy whatever.....it will sort itself out I'm sure....

Well clearly per your original post the head coach has seen your child do gymnastics enough to correct her, so that isn't true.

So either they are running the program irrationally and randomly, in which case poor results would be obvious and not sure why you would want your daughter being trained by a person who was running a gym irrationally.

Or he knows what he's doing and has a reason for it. My guess is the latter but I can't really speculate about the reason because I unlike your head coach have literally not seen your daughter do gymnastics. That said, if I was dividing optional groups, my divisions would be based on skills not how they scored at a single score out meet. I could have a child with giants and a cast handstand that did a cast handstand over on the high bar part and thus scores below the child who did the minimum requirement cleanly. No problem with that but then if it came time to do groups let's say I have a level 6 and a level 7 group, it would not be irrational to place the gianting child who fell on her cast handstand in level 7 while the higher scoring child is a level 6.

I am just giving a random example. Scores have nothing to do with it, particularly in an instance where the kids just did one score out meet so there is no real trend and probably much prep was not given to the routines, the results could mean anything from one day, maybe one child was sick or injured that particular day, maybe they fell on a move that was not practiced much and is not really in level 7. Maybe one child does all level 5 moves beautifully but is afraid of doing a flyaway out of a handstand, while other children do not have as good form but already have their layout flyaway from a giant or a handstand.

I think you posted something about your daughter and a flyaway, I don't remember the specifics but my guess is there's your answer, just because she did it okay at one meet but doesn't do it consistently in practice is going to affect her progress and therefore her grouping. Not blaming your daughter, it likely isn't in her control but it is still the case.

Yes gymdog, you are right......and I do believe that the grouping is part of his plan, because I trust him and he is GOOD......I do not expect him to analyze each kid excessively to determine the precise grouping....he is dividing em up, to the best of his knowledge, and them tweaking it......he already moved some girls back a group.
Yes, the flyaway. 8 out of the 10 girls had never done a flyaway un spotted.....mine did it unspotted and was decent.

Listen coaches, I'm not trying to criticize you guys. I've got nothin' but love for what you do! Sometimes parents may not agree 100% with something, but we are not all CGMs!...........if, as a parent you were told your kid was going to receive help from a teacher, but then does not, maybe you might ask? But I am waiting, because I understand that Head Coach is doing his job with 15 new girls, added to what he already had, and trying to make the best of it.......I get it. But I'm venting......

My Daughter is at a very good gym, the gym is at a very good time with a good groove right now. I'm not going to cause trouble, hence the reason for me venting here......
All of your answers are providing much needed perspective without me ruffling feathers at the gym.....

FYI, I am touchy on size.....she was 'sized' wrong at 6, her first gym and they put her in a team of 4 and 5 yo, and trust me, there was no skill requirement here.....I asked, and they changed her to the group girls her age......she did just fine.....then, when asking Head Coach about taking my DD to real team, (he had known her since she was born) he said "no way, she's just a baby!" I convinced him to take her and reminded him she was 7.....and a year later she was one of his best athletes.....coaches do initially size. I see it all the time. I have downright seen a new coach walk into a gym, and literally divide a group according to height, regardless of level......boys left crying on this one, and you can guess what this coach said.....'it's all in my plan.'

i understand where you're coming from, but wanna just mention that coaches do talk. even if HC hasn't spent much hands-on time with your daughter, surely there is communication amount the coaching team. this communication could also contribute to placements.

Not all coaches do judge on size, but some sure as heck do...my dd's old coach sure did. Thank goodness the new HC thinks being young and small is a plus, not a minus....

Yes gymdog, you are right......and I do believe that the grouping is part of his plan, because I trust him and he is GOOD......I do not expect him to analyze each kid excessively to determine the precise grouping....he is dividing em up, to the best of his knowledge, and them tweaking it......he already moved some girls back a group.
Yes, the flyaway. 8 out of the 10 girls had never done a flyaway un spotted.....mine did it unspotted and was decent.

Listen coaches, I'm not trying to criticize you guys. I've got nothin' but love for what you do! Sometimes parents may not agree 100% with something, but we are not all CGMs!...........if, as a parent you were told your kid was going to receive help from a teacher, but then does not, maybe you might ask? But I am waiting, because I understand that Head Coach is doing his job with 15 new girls, added to what he already had, and trying to make the best of it.......I get it. But I'm venting......

My Daughter is at a very good gym, the gym is at a very good time with a good groove right now. I'm not going to cause trouble, hence the reason for me venting here......
All of your answers are providing much needed perspective without me ruffling feathers at the gym.....

FYI, I am touchy on size.....she was 'sized' wrong at 6, her first gym and they put her in a team of 4 and 5 yo, and trust me, there was no skill requirement here.....I asked, and they changed her to the group girls her age......she did just fine.....then, when asking Head Coach about taking my DD to real team, (he had known her since she was born) he said "no way, she's just a baby!" I convinced him to take her and reminded him she was 7.....and a year later she was one of his best athletes.....coaches do initially size. I see it all the time. I have downright seen a new coach walk into a gym, and literally divide a group according to height, regardless of level......boys left crying on this one, and you can guess what this coach said.....'it's all in my plan.'

Well size may matter in some things. But no coach is going to look at Morgan Hurd and then put her with a group of level 5s. That's just not how it works. It sounds like your daughter understands more about the groupings and possibility of moving up so since you are at a good gym just leave it up to her.

I completely agree about Morgan Hurd.
This said, when there are unknowns, some coaches do tend to group the unknowns by size. It takes the unknowns proving themselves to be put in the right place. I am sure it will sort itself out. :D

I completely agree about Morgan Hurd.
This said, when there are unknowns, some coaches do tend to group the unknowns by size. It takes the unknowns proving themselves to be put in the right place. I am sure it will sort itself out. :D
I'll keep you posted.....all in all I think we have a great group of girls, and really really good coaches.

I'll keep you posted.....all in all I think we have a great group of girls, and really really good coaches.

And, I hope you don't think I'm picking on you. Truly, I know you're just venting and would not make a fuss at your gym, but for the benefit of newer parents I'm just trying to "show the other side" and reasons why these divisions sometimes have to be made. Just trying to keep you honest :)

There is so much more involved with this sport than us parents can understand. There have been times when I have thought the coaches weren't seeing all my daughter's strengths, and then there have been times when they have seen something that I (or other parents) didn't see in her. Do not stress over the groups. Don't get so involved. She is at a good gym with good coaches. Don't obsess over the minutia that you may or may not understand. I have BTDT. It just doesn't matter. If things do upset you, just ask.

Also if the gym is good, all the coaches will be good, whether they are assistant coaches or head coaches. In fact in my experience sometimes the HC is not great - even if they are generally a great coach - because s/he tends to be more stressed out and tired from managing the entire program.

As far as unsupervised conditioning goes - this is to be expected as they move into optionals and the average age of the girls increases. At that point they should no longer need someone policing them to make sure they can do the drills with good form. Often the coach will assist/correct one conditioning station while the rest happens on its own.

Well size may matter in some things. But no coach is going to look at Morgan Hurd and then put her with a group of level 5s. That's just not how it works. It sounds like your daughter understands more about the groupings and possibility of moving up so since you are at a good gym just leave it up to her.
This Mom came here to vent. She is staying out of it and watching her daughter handle it well. She still has some concerns in her mind though. She came here with them so she would stay out of it at the gym. Stop berating her for that. We all need to talk things out and be listened to!

It seems like some coaches take a parents concerns and doubts on this board too personally. This int eh end does not help the parent feel more peaceful about a situation. Give your reasonable take on the situation, educate us on how you handle such situations in your gym but please don't berate parents.

What is so inportant about training with the Head coach. I do not remember when my daughter trained with the HC and she is a second year L9 at 12 years old
Some of the assistant coaches seem to do a better job as they do not get distracted by all the non-training duties.

I am sure that the coaches who hang out here are wonderful. They have a plan for their athletes. They communicate well with parents. They treat each girl as an individual. They care tremendously about the physical and emotional health of their girls. But sadly, that isn't necessarily true of all coaches. Some of us deal with coaches that can't seem to understand that each girls has different strengths and weaknesses and respond to different things. Who say, "I am the coach and I know exactly what is going on with your daughter. If she says something different, then she is wrong." Yes, verbatim. I got involved only after the third week of her leaving every practice in tears because, "I don't know what he wants me to DO. I think I'm doing what he wants but he says no and I should do it right. But he never tells me what to change so it is right. " Apparently, per coach, she is lying to me and is just too lazy to do it correctly. And I have heard DD's coach make snide comments about her size and group her with the younger (and lower level) girls because that means that he doesn't have to change a bars setting an extra time. So yeah, it really does happen. Luckily, DD isn't destined for upper optional competition and I don't actually have to trust him that much. Because I don't. And that means that every time I hear "just trust the coach" I get a little irate. Sorry about that.

This Mom came here to vent. She is staying out of it and watching her daughter handle it well. She still has some concerns in her mind though. She came here with them so she would stay out of it at the gym. Stop berating her for that. We all need to talk things out and be listened to!

It seems like some coaches take a parents concerns and doubts on this board too personally. This int eh end does not help the parent feel more peaceful about a situation. Give your reasonable take on the situation, educate us on how you handle such situations in your gym but please don't berate parents.
Thanks SCE......I appreciate the words.

And gymdog, nothing but love here! That was hardly a berating!!!LOL
I never take offense because I appreciate perspectives. That's why I come and post thoughts. It's kinda therapy for this crazy sport.

I'll tell you all something so funny.....all this complaining (silently to myself and CB) I finally realized my DD is so lucky!!! She has like 4 other teammates training with assistant coach, who she loves....they are working great basics and her shapes look great.........HC has like over 12 girls and they are all crying from stress.....
Be careful what you wish for right??? LOL

She still is working below potential though.....but who cares. She having FUN!

[QUOTE="munchkin3, post: 415568, member:

DD is so lucky!!! She has like 4 other teammates training with assistant coach, who she loves....they are working great basics and her shapes look great.....

She having FUN![/QUOTE]

THIS! This is why she is fortunate. Who cares if she is working " to potential " . With a coach who believes in her, friends and great basics she can add difficulty later and it will be easier because she will be confident and strong!

T

I'll tell you all something so funny.....all this complaining (silently to myself and CB) I finally realized my DD is so lucky!!! She has like 4 other teammates training with assistant coach, who she loves....they are working great basics and her shapes look great.........HC has like over 12 girls and they are all crying from stress.....
Be careful what you wish for right??? LOL

She still is working below potential though.....but who cares. She having FUN!
I love this. Sometimes too, it seems they are working below their potential but they are building towards something with the basics and shapes.

Little update......
So Assistant Coach came to say how great she is doing.....Head Coach also said she is doing great, and they are both impressed with her form and lines.......
ACoach said both he and HC agreed they were going to continue to work with her on shapes and form LONGER so that the final product would be superior.......He explained that some of the older girls were struggling with CHS, or giants because they were not taught correctly from the beginning....(HC and AC are there just about a year, so before them)....
So EAT IT CGM! (me)....they had it all along!!!! I am very impressed with the coaches.....BOTH are very good.
And Kudos of course to my DD who has been working very hard, through rips and fears, and has shown her new coaches what shes made of......good for you munchkin!!!

Thanks CB for helping me through my CGM moment and actually be a 'good' parent on this one! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back