Parents Sharp's home raided last night

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A question for Dunno or other USAG insiders: Does USAG have on the quiet any kind of program to help a gym community that is reeling from this kind of event? While they are thankfully infrequent and I agree that USAG is quite rigorous in its efforts to prevent them, given the nature of gym coaching, it's unfortunately going to happen, and I would imagine that the fallout tends to play out in similar ways after each instance. I'm imagining a program that would connect families quickly with evaluative counselors, a system for contacting other area gyms to facilitate athlete placement (temporary or permanent), and a system for helping other coaches at the affected gym, who could find themselves in difficult circumstances going forward.

not like you're describing. but they have the support in place for the athletes.

The Girl Scouts have a rule that forbids any adult volunteer to be with one or more children without a second adult present. This extends even to troop-0rganized carpools; if you are driving girls to a field trip, you must have a second adult in the car. Does USAG have such a rule? If not, why not? And if USAG doesn't have this rule, do gyms' insurance companies make it a condition of coverage? The rule wouldn't necessarily have prevented all of what reportedly went on in this particular case, but it would certainly help.

One thing I really like about our current gym is that the entire building is incredibly open. There isn't even an office, just a desk in the lobby. There is literally no separate room where an adult could theoretically take a child off alone except for the bathroom, and no one would be able to do that without being noticed by dozens of people.

they do...and it's in the safety manual. not a rule per say, but a "hey! IDIOT!! read this page!!!"

Travelling as a team representing a country or state or province is really pretty safe. Kids room with each other and there are multiple adults in charge. Yes some of them are pretty young, but it is really not much different than summer camp.

Travelling alone with a coach is less usual for meets. Lots of elite hopefuls travel to the ranch with coaches, but they usually stay in the cabins at the ranch with other gymnasts, never with their coaches. The only difficulty I have seen with this is in the event of plane cancellations and forced overnights. That definitely vcould cause issues with young gymnasts and their coaches.

unless it's Don Peters...

Yes...there are a lot of details that have been made available as part of the legal proceeding. I really wish they would have sealed those files in order to protect the victim.

what? the victim's name is protected and NOT in the public domain. nobody knows who it is unless they're not keeping their mouths shut.

unless it's Don Peters...

Please tell me that he ended up in jail

what? the victim's name is protected and NOT in the public domain. nobody knows who it is unless they're not keeping their mouths shut.

I think Bog is referring to the amount of detail out there which would make this gymnast easily identifiable by those who know/know of the victim. Given that meet details were included, anyone could really narrow it down.

That story really creeps me out because there was a gymnastics photographer in my state who tried to get me to try on different leos for a photo shoot (when I was about 13). He was never a coach, but was a regular fixture at meets. He took action shots during competitions with a portrait set-up for parents who wanted posed pictures between sessions or to buy the action shots from previous meets (since nothing was digital back then). I had finished competing at one meet and was watching a later session when he struck up a conversation with me. He told me that he had been photographing me for years and wanted to show me all of his pictures. I was very creeped out by how large his collection was. He said he was attracted to certain gymnasts more than others and I was one of them. He then offered to do a photo shoot with me. I told him no thanks, but then found out a bunch of my teammates were doing them too so I later agreed. We all watched each other's 5 minute photo shoots (some moms were there too). When it was my turn, everything was different. I was last of course, and my mom was volunteering elsewhere at the meet. He shut the door and showed me the leotards he had chosen for me and showed me where I could change. I told him that I liked my team leo, so he said we could start with that one. After about 20 minutes of a very uncomfortable photo shoot (trying to make me look very sensual), he told me it was time to change leotards. I made up an excuse to leave and did not come back. I spent the rest of my competition days avoiding any close contact with him, but could always see him out of the corner of my eye photographing me when I competed. He would often try to approach me at meets, but I always dodged him when I saw him coming and always had a teammate come with me to the restroom. I never told my parents or coaches, because I felt stupid about allowing myself to be alone in a room with him. I completely forgot about him until I read this. I'm sure he was a predator, but I have no idea if he ever got busted. I wish I'd had the confidence to share what had happened with an adult at the time.
----
Please come forward. As someone who was molested as a child, I feel for kids who feel like they were the victims. Remember, you weren't at fault- he was a perpetrator and if he's still out there, you may stop someone else from feeling guilt or fear... or from being hurt. Please consider it.

Please tell me that he ended up in jail

I think Bog is referring to the amount of detail out there which would make this gymnast easily identifiable by those who know/know of the victim. Given that meet details were included, anyone could really narrow it down.

ahh, i'm a bit tired this morning. i get it now. and no, Peters is back in Pennsylvania in the woods in a house he grew up in. somewhere near the Monongahela incline outside of Pittsburgh.

Yes I am referring to the fact that so much info has been given out that the victim is easy to identify. I really wish those details had been protected to allow the victim to be anonymous.

If Sharp was fired for this before I would be raging as a gym parent. That should never happen once, let alone twice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back