Parents Has anyone's dd done cartwheel/round off L7 beam instead of BHS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flyinghigh

Proud Parent
My dd, age 12, is having a huge mental block on BHS on high beam. It's ridiculous. So bad that the coach is thinking of having her compete 6 until this issue resolves. Her coach wants BHS on beam, states the judges don't like round off's instead of BHS. She has all her other level 7 skills, a little trouble on fly away right now on bars, that's it. Has anyone else's dd competed with cartwheel connected to round off instead of BHS and was it frowned upon? Don't get me wrong, I would prefer BHS but she is so stressed about that right now.

I'm curious about this too! Maybe it's a regional thing. DD and most of her L7 group will be competing CW-RO instead of BHS for various reasons. Most don't have a consistent or nice looking BHS or BWO. DD has a great BHS (competed it in L5) but can't do BWO because of prior pain when doing them and her handstands aren't that great so too much potential there for big deductions.

my DD did the CW-RO this past season at a L7 meet. It fills the requirements, so as long as you are not taking form/execution deductions, it really shouldn't matter.

I think in general, the judges might look down upon it. In reality though, it doesn't matter--if the coach feels they don't view it well, then what the coach says goes. Or does your coach like taking routine composition advice from parents (and I realize as I type this that it sounds really snarky--I don't mean it that way--our former club's coaches would NEVER listen to any input from parents like that!)

my DD did the CW-RO this past season at a L7 meet. It fills the requirements, so as long as you are not taking form/execution deductions, it really shouldn't matter.

If you don't mind me asking, what were her scores? The coach makes it sound like the judges deduct for it but I see it meets requirements.

I think in general, the judges might look down upon it. In reality though, it doesn't matter--if the coach feels they don't view it well, then what the coach says goes. Or does your coach like taking routine composition advice from parents (and I realize as I type this that it sounds really snarky--I don't mean it that way--our former club's coaches would NEVER listen to any input from parents like that!)

Our coach is very picky and likes high scores but I know she has allowed it in the past. She's irritated with dd's mental block because she can do them, just blocking right now. I think we might start with this and hopefully go to BHS later in season if coach will allow.

If you don't mind me asking, what were her scores? The coach makes it sound like the judges deduct for it but I see it meets requirements.
Her score was not great, but not due to those elements. Her coach had her doing a 1 and 1/2 turn and a full turn + sissone for her leap series, and she took a fall and no connection deductions. Speaking to the CW-RO, as long as the elements are fulfilled, it is worth the same as a BWO-BHS. Coaches usually do not like it though as it is a dead-end series, meaning it really leads to nothing. I totally get this, and I would much rather see the BWO-BHS myself at L7, but if they are almost certain to take a fall on it, why wouldn't you allow them to compete what will score better, while working on the other?

We've had girls do CW RO in Level 6 (and score very well) and also in Level 7 (and not score so well). I think it depends to your region and the general expectation of the judges.

Eh, is the coach maybe blowing smoke? Yes, most likely as that fulfills the requirement. Are some judges more likely to take the full value of 'up to' deductions of other elements in routines of this composition (punishing the routine)? No one really knows except for the judge....... That being said, I strongly encourage you not to make a fuss about it. Once in optionals, a year in 6 and a year in 7, two years in 7, a meet in both then onto 8.....it really doesn't matter. Each gymnast will get there in their own time. Stickler coaches can sometimes hold grudges. Not saying it's right, just saying it is..... Let it play out the way it plays out.

Wow, I can't imagine getting connection on that! She must have been a very good front tumbler.

Reactions: sce
I know 2 girls that have done CW-RO at level 7. While it's frowned on (not seen as a serious progressive series), the judges must not frown on it too much....
---Girl A won State beam title with a 9.45 and then repeated level 7 a second year and placed 2nd at State with a 9.525. Not sure if she's moving to L8, and if she'll keep that series or not
---Girl B won States with a 9.325 then competed that same series in Level 8 and placed 1st at State with a 9.20 (which appears to have been one of her lowest scores that season). Now what that girl will do for level 9 I don't know. I know she could compete a dive cartwheel/RO, but that is hard to get connection credit for and judges look at it as cheesy and take off for not up to level. Maybe she'll go another route and do FHS-RO or something, no idea.

Not in U.S. But I had a British out of age level 3 gymnast who competed cartwheel-roundoff which fulfilled the requirement. She in fact had the most simple routine of all my gymnasts - squat through mount, split jump-w-jump, full spin, cartwheel-round off and a punch front dismount. Missed out bwo due to a mental block and lost 0.5 off d score. She was one of the only gymnasts who didn't fall off beam and she was county champ on the event.

However I totally understand why a coach might want a more progressive series - bwo-Bhs leads to bhs-bhs or bhs-loso etc.

You have to work on a gymnast to gymnast basis in my opinion. If they are capable push for the more progressive skills, if they are having a mental block, work around it! Just my opinion though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back