Parents Worst season ever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That's tough Gymnastruby. We've been through that, and Severs and aphophysitis... Find a really good physio and I'd suggest you see a podiatrist. I've found that with all of these overuse/growth injuries, having good orthotics for a gymnast is a really good way of preventing or minimising flare ups when they are growing. But they always seem to take a while for the kids to get over and then you watch them have to get used to doing their skills with a slightly different body.

Hope states goes well and she can push through the pain to get a result she's happy with!

Glad to hear it's nothing serious and she can still compete.
Hope it's a quickly over flair up.

A few of my kids' teammates have had good success with the knee straps for O-S. It's definitely annoying, but like Severs, it's not really an injury and is preferable to Sindig Larsen Johansson! I hope she feels better soon.

Oh I forgot all the taping of knees... Do you know how to do that gymnastruby, or does your coach take care of that? The taping makes a huge difference according to my three kids who've all had this at different times.

I wouldn't have a clue how to tape knees or anything else, lol! I'm sure her coach will? Ummm, is there some sort of specific gymnastics tape I should buy? Can you tell I'm clueless?

If you look at what is in the Oscon supplement, the main ingredient appears to be selenium. Rather than paying high prices for a synthetic version, I'd prefer to get it in it's easy and cheaper to access natural state. As for what it is supposed to do, I have no idea! :)

My dd uses prewrap. Wrap around lower leg several times and then roll to fit snugly right on patellar tendon. Helps her a lot. Now if we could just find something for her severs.

I wouldn't have a clue how to tape knees or anything else, lol! I'm sure her coach will? Ummm, is there some sort of specific gymnastics tape I should buy? Can you tell I'm clueless?

I've only ever used the basic rigid tape and I know that's what our physio and coach uses. Most girls seem to have a favourite brand that they choose. You can watch youtube videos on how to do it, but our coach always tapes for my gymnast - it's just the soccer players that I do the taping for.

My DD also has knee issues. Uses the knee strap and also Coach uses pre wrap wrapped tightly. It helps especially on vault and tumbling days.

I forgot to update this.

Definitely OSD with a flair up in the right knee at the moment. But her X-rays showed another abnormality. A bit black spot on the bone higher up. Doc didn't have a clue what it could be and is consulting with an ortho for a second opinion. Had an appt next Thursday and hopefully some answers. I'm trying hard not to freak out in the meantime.

She still wants to compete tomorrow, I don't think it'll be her best comp but no matter what happens I'm so proud of her!

Gymnastruby, don't feel bad, my dd is 13 and still wants the chewable pain relievers and liquid antibiotics/cough medicines...
My gymmies are just the opposite. Hate chewables. Been taking pills (with a little drama at first because there was a ritual to be followed to get them down) since they were 6 - when the family doc said they needed ADULT (or 450 mg childrens) tylenol due to their muscle mass since going by their weight, nothing ever helped any pain - tylenol, motrin, anything!

They recently got different allergy pills and the doctor prescribed them both chewables - at almost 14 and almost 11 years old!!!! Turns out, these meds say chewables until 15! But he did tell them they don't actually have to chew them :)

I forgot to update this.

Definitely OSD with a flair up in the right knee at the moment. But her X-rays showed another abnormality. A bit black spot on the bone higher up. Doc didn't have a clue what it could be and is consulting with an ortho for a second opinion. Had an appt next Thursday and hopefully some answers. I'm trying hard not to freak out in the meantime.

She still wants to compete tomorrow, I don't think it'll be her best comp but no matter what happens I'm so proud of her!
Good luck with the visit next week, hope everything turns out ok.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back