WAG Help with removing dye from leotard

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Turk

Gymnast
I got a new leotard and on first handwashing in cold water, the dye in the stitching decided to bleed. I didn't spot it at first because I only washed the underarms and bottom part, so it wasn't submerged and able to bleed into the water, so I didn't notice until I went to check it where it was hanging up (on its own, nothing nearby that could have stained it) and there was green around any stitching that was wet and in some white spots where it had dripped.

I sent it back as faulty after trying to wash it again - the water was turning green and the dye was bleeding everywhere - but they tested it and claimed that the thread couldn't have caused the bright green. You can see in the first picture (not very well, but it's more obvious in person) that the area of stitching that bled has green along it. I shouldn't have washed it again, should I? Maybe if they'd turned their sink green, they'd have replaced it...

So, they're sending it back to me and I have a competition leotard I can't afford to replace that's got visible stains. I wouldn't have the first clue where to start with getting them out and if I ruin this leotard, I'm stuck with competing naked! The search isn't working so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for products (I'm in the UK) or tactics. for getting them out. I don't have pictures of the outside, where the dye only shows in a few places, but those are the spots I care about.

I'm also scared to wash it ever again in case that happens - I only washed the underarms and bottom part and caused this, will I still have a leotard at all by competition time? I can only hope they washed it enough in their testing that it couldn't bleed again even if it tried.

IMG_0843.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG

What did you wash it with? Did you just rinse it or did you use any sort of soap/detergent?

DD's warm ups last year were black and white and the black bled horribly into the water, but I never had an issue with it bleeding onto the sleeve. I recommend if you wash again that once you take it out of the water you place it between two towels on the floor and roll the towels to squeeze the water out so there's no dripping. It should be almost completely dry by the time you do this once or twice.

As for getting out the stains, I would try something designed for delicate fabric, and also whatever the company recommends for washing. Then put the detergent directly on only the most obvious spots and try a very soft toothbrush to see if you can get it clean. That would be the only thing I might try before breaking down and just buying another.

What did you wash it with? Did you just rinse it or did you use any sort of soap/detergent?

DD's warm ups last year were black and white and the black bled horribly into the water, but I never had an issue with it bleeding onto the sleeve. I recommend if you wash again that once you take it out of the water you place it between two towels on the floor and roll the towels to squeeze the water out so there's no dripping. It should be almost completely dry by the time you do this once or twice.

As for getting out the stains, I would try something designed for delicate fabric, and also whatever the company recommends for washing. Then put the detergent directly on only the most obvious spots and try a very soft toothbrush to see if you can get it clean. That would be the only thing I might try before breaking down and just buying another.
Sadly, replacement isn't an option financially, so I've got to fix this one or at least get it less obvious. I think if the stains were only on the sleeves, I'd get away with leaving them as they're few and far between and not too obvious, but the second image I posted is the inside of the chest and some of those spots show through right in the middle of the white section on the chest.

I washed it in only cold water, no detergent as the manufacturer info says not to use any. I think any detergent I try, I'll test on a bit of sleeve that won't matter too much first in case it goes horribly wrong!

I would say it's more likely the other green fabric that is the issue, not the thread. Either way, something bled green onto the white so it really doesn't matter at this point where it came from..!
Is there a shiny finish on the other side? That will limit what you can do to it. You line dried it, yes? If it was dried in the dryer, it will be much more difficult to try to get these out.
I would work from the inside. Stuff the leotard with a towel (white or light colored so you don't have any other colors bleeding through!) and try a mild detergent (dawn dish detergent for instance).
You could try a tiny amount of bleach but ONLY try a very small amount on the side of a seam or something where it will not show if it doesn't work (like on a piece that's overlapped by another piece in front of it on the right side etc).
There is "dye remover" usually by fabric dyes that you could also try since the fabric is white.
With any of these though, be really careful and work with small brushes or Q-tips, and make sure to have a few layers of towel underneath so you don't mess up any other parts of the Leo.
Good luck!!

My dd has had a couple of issues with her leos , one of her white ones had bright green dye and I used flash bleach spray as a last resort and it worked a treat , I was very shocked it worked , good luck

I would say it's more likely the other green fabric that is the issue, not the thread. Either way, something bled green onto the white so it really doesn't matter at this point where it came from..!
Is there a shiny finish on the other side? That will limit what you can do to it. You line dried it, yes? If it was dried in the dryer, it will be much more difficult to try to get these out.
I would work from the inside. Stuff the leotard with a towel (white or light colored so you don't have any other colors bleeding through!) and try a mild detergent (dawn dish detergent for instance).
You could try a tiny amount of bleach but ONLY try a very small amount on the side of a seam or something where it will not show if it doesn't work (like on a piece that's overlapped by another piece in front of it on the right side etc).
There is "dye remover" usually by fabric dyes that you could also try since the fabric is white.
With any of these though, be really careful and work with small brushes or Q-tips, and make sure to have a few layers of towel underneath so you don't mess up any other parts of the Leo.
Good luck!!
Thanks! I'll see how much staining is left when I get it back and definitely try the mild detergent first. I only line-dried it, but heaven knows what they did to it during their tests, so it could have been in a dryer since the instructions say that's an option (on a low heat). They claimed it couldn't be the fabric because that would have bled blue (the shiny outer layer is slightly more turquoise than the matte inner layer, but still green) but stranger things have happened... And yes, a shiny finish on the outside.

My dd has had a couple of issues with her leos , one of her white ones had bright green dye and I used flash bleach spray as a last resort and it worked a treat , I was very shocked it worked , good luck
It may come to that! I'm hoping it doesn't, but I'll definitely keep that in mind if I'm getting desperate! :D

Rubbing alcohol is great at removing dye bleed if you catch it while the leotard is still wet. It may not work as well after the stain has set, but it's worth a try.

Carbona color run remover!! Works like magic! My dd has had numerous outfits that bled only in certain areas during the first wash & when I used this stuff, the runs disappeared right before my eyes. Amazing stuff!! They're pretty cheap too, like $2-3. Anyway, I've found them at Walmart, Kroger & Publix. They're in tiny bottles, most are yellow but this is in a small blue box. Good luck!!!

Which brand is it? There's one I avoid as their colours always seem to bleed, particularly the green.

If you're really stuck could be cheaper to take it to a tailor and get the lighter bits replaced?

A question. Are you the only girl on your team this has happened to?
I compete as an adult and I'm the only one from my club who does so, and I'm not on a club squad so I can't wear uniform stuff. I just buy my own, whichever one I want.
Which brand is it? There's one I avoid as their colours always seem to bleed, particularly the green.
If you're really stuck could be cheaper to take it to a tailor and get the lighter bits replaced?
It's Milano. It's also quite a complex design, so I reckon I'd pay at least the same as the actual price to get those pieces replaced, sadly.

It arrived back today and the spilled dye has faded just a touch in their testing process, so I'm hoping that at least one of the methods you've all suggested works for me tomorrow. Wish me luck! :eek:

The bad news is that the only thing that worked on the stains was bleach, and it wanted to bleach the white fabric to a yellowy off-white, so I can't do that to any more visible parts (I tested a hidden inner bit and a little bit of sleeve that won't show).

Well, the good news is that it no longer bleeds! The stains seem less visible from the outside after their testing and me giving it a cold, delicate machine wash, so I'm hoping that they'll fade a bit more on the next couple of washes and be almost invisible from the outside by competition as long as no one looks too closely.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I will remember these things in future for clothing in general, and will make a note not to buy any leotards with light/white sections from these people again ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back