WAG Hair question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OMG that is huge!!! Sorry but that is disgusting. Gymnasts are not poodles. They are athletes. @marie83 I am going to be looking out for that club now. How hideous.

I think that was a picture of her daughter. I'm certainly blunt and don't mind people saying their general opinion of hair bows, but it seems a little over the top to quote a members post with a picture of their own child and say "it's disgusting." But I realize maybe it could be misinterpreted as a general picture, that's not how I interpreted it. But I think it's cute, not really my style or what I was thinking of per the OP, but if I saw a team of little girls with their hair like that I would think it was fine. Or boys. Whatever they want. It's supposed to be for the kids and the kids like it...my girls like the glitter and the matching ribbons. It's supposed to be fun for them so I don't mind. Is it always my style, no, but I have to pick my battles because I'm mean about other things.

OMG that is huge!!! Sorry but that is disgusting. Gymnasts are not poodles. They are athletes. @marie83 I am going to be looking out for that club now. How hideous.

Agree with gymdog that calling a child's hair bow disgusting is a little over the top. I am hoping this might be a case of lost in translation of the same language? (I know when I spent a semester in London I never got used to professors calling every correct answer "brilliant!") In the states we would reserve the adjective "disgusting" for people like Marvin Sharp.

My favorite thing about gymnastics is that it's not about the bows and the makeup. It's about being an amazing athlete. Cute is nice, but powerful is better.

That said, I've seen a couple of gymnasts in bows recently. In both cases, they were recent transplants from Texas. Do Texans wear bows?

My favorite thing about gymnastics is that it's not about the bows and the makeup. It's about being an amazing athlete. Cute is nice, but powerful is better.

That said, I've seen a couple of gymnasts in bows recently. In both cases, they were recent transplants from Texas. Do Texans wear bows?
Do you see is is simone biles as cute and not powerful though? She wear bows and all I see with her is pure power?

Do you see is is simone biles as cute and not powerful though? She wear bows and all I see with her is pure power?
upload_2015-9-3_11-58-45.png

upload_2015-9-3_12-4-17.png

Simone definitely loves to rock her coordinating hair bows and sparkly earrings!

Quite honestly hair is a personal preference.

Simone's bow is quite different from those huge over the top bows. Still not a fan but better then the huge ones.

Thankful our coach wouldn't go for that. Thankful my girl doesn't do over the top girl.

The opinion expressed here is solely my own and in no way meant to disparage a child, just the bow.

I'll preface this post, I don't like the huge bows. But I am pretty simple and plain in my taste. I think 1) as long as it is not the first thing one sees or the only thing anyone notices, it may be good. 2) huge bows look cute on little girls. After a certain age, it does become ridiculous,

I love the idea of making the coaches wear exactly the same hairstyle as they require the girls to wear :) Maybe they would rethink the "everybody has to match and it doesn't matter if it is uncomfortable" mentality. Of course, our male coach is bald by choice, so he would have to start by growing out his hair to "bun-able" length... An amusing vision for next weekend when I am struggling with hair on a sleepy, grumpy, grimacing child at 6 AM.

In my opinion a ribbon (a la simone) is perfectly fine - reminds me of the 70's (in a funny kinda way cos I wasn't there!) a big bow on the other hand is just distracting.
I agree, Simone wears a ribbon and a simple hair style. Not a fancy hair style and a multilayer giant sparkly bow.

Also, if she was part of a larger team who all had the same bow, it would be much less pleasant to see.

Yea, pretty harsh and unkind but good thing she is judged on her FANTASTIC gymnastics and not your opinion of her choice of hair!

Opinions are like...

Ha! This post is awesome!

I'll stick with what I originally said, that's what makes optional so fun, options!

And we will rock an upside down French braid again! With bows and glitter!

I love seeing ALL the different hair styles but what I'm really there for is to support some fantastic young ladies doing what they love!!

Your post reminds me of this pic of Simone...definitely easier to pull off the girlie bow when you have arms that could wrestle a grizzly bear into submission!
Biles.jpg

I'm not to sure about this combo either. Looks a little comical having such a masculine build and a tiny white ribbon. I love Simone Biles but the little ribbon on her just does not look good to me. Mykayla Skinner's look with slightly larger ribbon looks better. I think in Simone Biles case above it may be a matter of proportion; a slightly larger ribbon would have been better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back