Parents 1 Moving Up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymom

DD1 and DD2 are both l6, but their coach was talking about moving DD2 to l7. I was pleased. But i had to ask about DD1, was she moving up too? No. Of course i am gonna let DD2 to l7. DD1 is so jealous because she is 1 year older. What should i say to her?

It's difficult, because you want your youngest to move up as she should, but you know it must be kind of a slap in the face to your oldest. I think I'd just tell her the coach thinks she'd benefit from another year of Level 6, and then (if your daughters truly are similar in ability) explain that repeats are common in optional levels and you're sure they will meet up again soon. If the ability between your daughters is more varied, and you think it's likely your younger daughter will soar right past her, I'd leave out the part about meeting up again soon and just say the coach feels a year of Level 6 will be best for her, and you're sure it will be a good year, etc. Maybe that she's in a really tough age-group for Level 7, if you think that would go over. It's true. Aren't they ALL tough age groups?!?! ;)

hmm, depends, how do you normally talk to them.

In our house brutal honesty reigns, "coach said she was ready, you are not, when you are you will, end of discussion and stop beating up your sister, blood is hard to get out of the carpet" would be the sort of conversation we would have.

How old are they? If they are optionals, they probably already suspect that this is coming. DD has spent the last six months coming to terms with the reality that her little brother will compete the same level as her this coming season. At this point she is OK with it, but when the talk first started about him going to L8, she had a bit of difficulty. It helps a lot that he respects her and looks up to her as a gymnast.

I guess it depends on how old they are. I'm sure it is a disappointment for your older DD, but she must know that her sister has progressed this way. I know my sister and knew very well what each of us was good at growing up. We competed the same sport (equestrian) and at similar levels for a long time before she surpassed me in one discipline and I surpassed her in another. Everyone has different skills and often it takes different amounts of effort and time to produce similar results. There's nothing wrong or shameful with progressing more slowly than someone who is younger than you (even if they are your sister).

(eta: not saying anyone said it was shameful, just thinking the first feeling for a kid might be that they are ashamed but there is no reason to be!)

So, the Level 6 TWINS you talked about in your introductory post are a year apart... how cool. I would tell the older one to suck it up, buttercup! She will get to Level 7 when HER skills are ready.

[QUOTE="bogwoppit, post: 416106, member: 38banned Gymom for being Jellybean. I tend to recognise a trolling style. Be warned.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was funny that gymom appeared shortly after jellybean disappeared, but wasn't sure if it was her, a different troll, or legit person at first so I waited to decide :) didn't take long.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back