Parents team backpack for regular practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Some kids use it all the time-and heck why not, it was $$! But DD has a bag that is just for practice. Her UA bag stays pristine until competition :)

My daughter doesn't use her meet bag for practice but I have seen other girls who do. I like that her bag stays looking nice for meets. She is now using her old meet bag for practice now that they have their new ones.

I have to admit that our team girls have a box at the gym where they keep a spare leotard, their guards and loops gear, tape, hair bands etc. but they also come strait from school so there is always a jumble of school bags in the corridor. My poppet seems to keep half her gym wardrobe in that bag!

On one hand, they cost a lot of money, so keep them in pristine condition.

On the other hand, they cost a lot of money, so get some use out of them.

I tend to follow what the team does on this one. If the coach doesn't care, I have other battles....

All of our girls use their team backpacks for daily practice. The really cool girls were there before the gym changed ownership, so they have "oldgymname" personalized backpacks! ;) They save the "newgymname" ones for competitions.

On one hand, they cost a lot of money, so keep them in pristine condition.

On the other hand, they cost a lot of money, so get some use out of them.

I tend to follow what the team does on this one. If the coach doesn't care, I have other battles....
The first 5 years we were on team, we had the same style of $15 backpack - with embroidery ... changed colors after the 3rd year though. Many of the girls still use them.
The following year, we got a $25 duffle bag (changed companies) big enough to hold coats and boots in the winter in addition to the other stuff... although boots are usually left with parents so they don't get the bottom of the bag wet. THIS year, the coach was convinced to allow the girls to customize their bags with their names (we did little name tags that a stranger couldn't see from a distance before). The cost has jumped to $40... and now, a girl who has a custom bag won't be able to pass it on when she is no longer on team unless she is really lucky - two girls who have decided to only do Jr. High gym sold their leo, warm ups, and bags and got back 50% of what they paid last year for them.
I could have gotten YG a new bag, but nope. There are two in the closet. For customization, she has a special pin on hers that has a picture of the nickname her HC gave her :)

We have medium sized duffels with the team name and the girls name on them so it wouldn't make sense for DD to pack it to and from practice. Plus she has her own locker. She keeps like 100 leos in it and tons of boxes of Cliff bars and other nutritional snacks and her grips.

I love our team bags though. They are the perfect size for a carry one when we fly and small enough that they aren't cumbersome for driving meets.

We have medium sized duffels with the team name and the girls name on them so it wouldn't make sense for DD to pack it to and from practice. Plus she has her own locker. She keeps like 100 leos in it and tons of boxes of Cliff bars and other nutritional snacks and her grips.

I love our team bags though. They are the perfect size for a carry on when we fly and small enough that they aren't cumbersome for driving meets.
Our locker room was taken away in the renovations (the school ran out of money and hasn't finished the back hall, so it is considered "unsafe" to walk on the floor to the locker room). The cubbies are used by the rec girls, so the team girls leave their stuff on the bleachers. I prefer the "stuff" contained in something... and my pockets can only hold so much (which isn't much) before I have to worry about losing my bottoms, lol :oops:

But in our situation it's easier to use something else, because it's easier to spot a unique bag among all the other bags lying around.

Good point! The girls are always mixing up bags and wamups at meets. I can't imagine the confusion if they all brought identical-looking bags to every practice! :eek:

Some of DD's teammates bring theirs. DD's stays at home. I did let her pick out a "fun" bag to take to each practice in its place, though.

In the past, I always said no because I didn't want it to get ruined with everyday use (and we're in a snowy climate). Now that she's older and I trust her more, her bag is white... So NOPE, not a chance.

her bag is white... .

I'm pretty sure this why our coach doesn't do white :D

I have to say none of our kids take the wrong bags home, the names seem to do the trick. The occasional warm up piece gets switched but its easy to fix as they have their names.

The thought of changing bags for practice vs meets makes my head spin. I want the stuff ready to go. So its add snacks and water and go. All it does is go to practice and meets. On its third year and looking good with the occasional washing.

The thought of changing bags for practice vs meets makes my head spin. I want the stuff ready to go. So its add snacks and water and go. All it does is go to practice and meets. On its third year and looking good with the occasional washing.

:) my DD actually has a THIRD bag which stays at the gym for practice and contains emergency $ (a few dollars), a couple of protein bars in case, her grips, tape, prewrap, etc.

So, I get to stay on top of meet bag, the stay at the gym bag, and the "other" bag.

"Other" bag has her wallet, phone, a snack, water, chapstick, any clothing she may need to change into, and a stuffed bear which she has deemed "lucky" whom must remain in the bag at all times.

So, triple checking the meet bag will be essential. ;)

:) my DD actually has a THIRD bag which stays at the gym for practice and contains emergency $ (a few dollars), a couple of protein bars in case, her grips, tape, prewrap, etc.

So, I get to stay on top of meet bag, the stay at the gym bag, and the "other" bag.

"Other" bag has her wallet, phone, a snack, water, chapstick, any clothing she may need to change into, and a stuffed bear which she has deemed "lucky" whom must remain in the bag at all times.

So, triple checking the meet bag will be essential. ;)

Oh h@ll no, I would rather buy a new one every year.

And this is from someone who traveled for business for a living for a lot years. I have a travel bag that has dups of everything, toothbrushes, hair dryer. I can be packed for a week in about an hour.

Not a snowballs chance in Hades I am dealing with more than one bag. Hats off to you, you rock it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back