WAG Unofficial College Visits Vs. Official College Visits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stormy

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Anyone have any thoughts on what the availability of official college visits is these days? I heard a speaker at a recent NCAA workshop say that when he was a gymnastics coach at a D1 school he used to give out official visits like they were candy. He coached about 12 years ago, but it seems hard to believe unless his school was minting money! It seems like schools would be more interested in having kids make an official visit because that way its on the parents' dime and the visit can be made in the Junior year instead of waiting until the Senior year for an official visit???? Is it proper for an athlete or her Coach to ask a College Coach for a visit or do College Coaches requests the athlete to visit?

Speaking from a college athlete here...official visits are basically recruiting trips. I went on all 5 I was allowed, and they were completely paid for. I did end up choosing one of the 5 schools, and committed. And no I was not a gymnast. At 5'10 and the biggest klutz ever, that would have been a recipe for disaster.
If the school has offered a walk on, it is worth asking if perhaps they have a 'shortened' official visit, meaning one without staying overnight in dorms, etc. They HAVE expressed interest, so you could ask if a shortened visit is possible. If they say no, then you have to decide if it is worth visiting on your own dime, or was the few hours your child saw the school enough? I don't have your other thread in front of me, but if the coach already invited your child to check out the school for a few hours after a competition, in his/her mind that might constitute enough for a walk on. Good luck, and congrats to your dd! Even if she doesn't take it, very cool to be offered an opportunity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back