WAG Hair question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agreed. Strong female. Don't believe you can't wear something you like because of your body type or how you look! And don't believe that muscles = masculine appearance.

I politely disagree. If your goal is to make a statement, sure you should wear whatever your little heart desires. But if you want to look good, you will pick and choose clothes/looks that compliment you. There are clothes that just don't look good on certain body types or past a certain age. I don't necessarily dislike the picture in my last post. In fact, I think it is an "endearing" picture of Biles. My gripe was the proportions of the bow to her overall physique seemed out of place. Some of you may like that look. I respect that. I personally think it is disproportionate. But perhaps that is the intention of the picture, "a strong, powerful little girl." I'd just like the picture better without the bow or an appropriately sized bow.

I also do not associate muscles necessarily with being masculine. A woman can have muscles and still appear feminine. In addition, I don't believe describing Simone's built as masculine is anything negative. It is the truth. The definition of masculine is having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with men, especially strength and aggressiveness. That she is. Why do we have to qualify the description on Simone Biles as being a "strong female"? Because strength is a quality predominantly masculine not feminine. Her arms look more masculine than feminine because of size and development but she certainly looks like a female and is quite charming.

This post was surprisingly entertaining. :D I personally think bows are cute on young girls, but that they look silly on older girls. That being said, I've never even noticed Simone's bows until that picture. I've only noticed her amazing gymnastics. The older I get, the more I realize that personal style rarely indicates anything about a person's character or talents. If everyone dressed like me and had the exact same tastes, it would be a boring world.

Also, I'm glad I only have boys. ;)

I like bow, not those thing cheerleaders wear, but a simple ribbon tied in my hair.

And for the simple hairstyle, you have to think about certain types of hair. I have very think hair. And it won't stay in with just a couple of pony tails. I also love doing my hair for meets.

Simone, is not masculine. She is muscular. She is cut. They are not the same words.

Masculine is not a compliment when describing a female.

Yes, I agree. I did choose the wrong words. I did mean muscular and should have used the word muscularity. The word masculinity is just more often used than muscularity. But the latter is certainly what I would use to describe Simone Biles.

That being said, I've never even noticed Simone's bows until that picture. I've only noticed her amazing gymnastics.
Exactly! I respect and appreciate everyone's opinions on whether they LIKE the elites' bows that have been shown on this (very entertaining!) thread, but I think we can all agree that they not distracting to their amazing gymnastics. I think if the gymnast wants to wear their hair in a way that makes feels good about themself, as long as it is neat, professional and doesn't take away from the sport, then good for them! No matter what we all think. :)

And to whoever posted the amazing pic of their daughter's hair with the huge bow:
A. Love the hair (can I hire you?)
B. (Sorry): Dislike the bow.
C. Looks adorable on her, and if she can tumble with it, she must be amazing.
D. The day my gym requires a hairdo like that is the day I have a nervous breakdown, for more reasons than one.

And to whoever posted the amazing pic of their daughter's hair with the huge bow:
A. Love the hair (can I hire you?)
B. (Sorry): Dislike the bow.
C. Looks adorable on her, and if she can tumble with it, she must be amazing.
D. The day my gym requires a hairdo like that is the day I have a nervous breakdown, for more reasons than one.

That's me! And
A- I would love to come help you do hair! :)
B-bows aren't for everyone
C-that hair ain't moving! ;)
D-luckily we don't have required hairstyles in optionals at our gym. Too many different hair types

Thanks for the hair confidence! You are too sweet! :) :)

I don't know because my DD is fairly young at the upper optionals. She is 10 and will do 10. I thought it was more that as a parent I've got bigger things to worry about than hair. It used to be "fun" to do her hair before meets. Now it's just a clean ponytail. We used to do fancy braids and curls.

Enjoyed this thread☺we did the whole varyious braid/scrunchie/ribbons/glitter thing when Dd was smaller - now the hair is waist length its just a relief to have it secured into lego hair syle that doesnt move ( think simple bun) with scrunchie.

Reactions: COz

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back