Ontario - New Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you! This answers really the one question i had about what happens to the girls who don't qualify HP Novice. So they will have to do one more qualifier to make Championship. I guess this is going on the assumption that there won't be more than 32.

This is maybe why Novice age is 10-12 and level 9 groups are 10/11 and 12/13 so to split non qualifying Novices?

Edited to add: I can't believe I missed this chance..... Thanks honey!

Thank you! This answers really the one question i had about what happens to the girls who don't qualify HP Novice. So they will have to do one more qualifier to make Championship. I guess this is going on the assumption that there won't be more than 32.

This is maybe why Novice age is 10-12 and level 9 groups are 10/11 and 12/13 so to split non qualifying Novices?

Edited to add: I can't believe I missed this chance..... Thanks honey!

You're welcome sweetheart. :p

Yeah, it looks like one qualifier after elite screening if you don't make it as an HP novice. Level 9 has always been split as 10/11 and 12/13 for the provincial system. Even with the extra novice girls being funneled into those groups it is unlikely that there will be more than 32 in each group. Last year, level 9 10/11 had 2 girls and 12/13 had 24. One possibility though is that the scores from elite screening end up counting as qualifiers. Will the novices be scored with FIG or JO this year? If JO, non HP novices would end up with two or three scores for ranking purposes, just like the rest of the level 9 girls.

The other thing I'm confused about is how they determine who goes to nationals as opposed to easterns. Top 4 aged 10-12 go to nationals. So if they get divided into 10/11 and 12/13 at provincials, how does that work?

...Unless, all the qualifiers and provincials will now be done based on one category per age (i.e. level 9, age 10 is one category). Then they would just take the top 4 scores from the ages 10, 11 and 12 categories combined to send to nationals, and then the next four highest scores in each of the 10 and 11 categories combined and the 12 and 13 categories combined to easterns.

You're welcome sweetheart. :p

Yeah, it looks like one qualifier after elite screening if you don't make it as an HP novice. Level 9 has always been split as 10/11 and 12/13 for the provincial system. Even with the extra novice girls being funneled into those groups it is unlikely that there will be more than 32 in each group. Last year, level 9 10/11 had 2 girls and 12/13 had 24. One possibility though is that the scores from elite screening end up counting as qualifiers. Will the novices be scored with FIG or JO this year? If JO, non HP novices would end up with two or three scores for ranking purposes, just like the rest of the level 9 girls.

The other thing I'm confused about is how they determine who goes to nationals as opposed to easterns. Top 4 aged 10-12 go to nationals. So if they get divided into 10/11 and 12/13 at provincials, how does that work?

As far as i know Novice is FIG scoring, so the screening scores couldn't count.

I read that a total of 7 level 9 age 10-12 go to Nationals. So I guess its like the other age categories that are split differently. After all age categories compete, from the total scores of everyone, the top 7 are chosen.

Then from who is left, the next top 4 of the 10/11 and 12/13 level 9 go to Easterns.

And age 13 and over level 9 are not eligible for Nationals but they are eligible for Easterns.

Great reading material ladies! Thank you:) All of us gym mamas seem to be curious about how many level 9's will be competing. Our club has 3 11/12yrs 1 13yrs and 1 14 yrs. What about all of your clubs? I'm hoping they can all make championships!

Great reading material ladies! Thank you:) All of us gym mamas seem to be curious about how many level 9's will be competing. Our club has 3 11/12yrs 1 13yrs and 1 14 yrs. What about all of your clubs? I'm hoping they can all make championships!

We have potentially one 12 yr old and one 13 yr old.

Our club has half a dozen 11/12 yr olds and maybe one 14 yr old. One of the 12 yr olds will most definitely be trying to qualify as NN HP and one other 12 yr old is a maybe. My kid is 12 yr old L8 so I have no horse in this race, just an obsessive fascination with how the system works!

Our club has half a dozen 11/12 yr olds and maybe one 14 yr old. One of the 12 yr olds will most definitely be trying to qualify as NN HP and one other 12 yr old is a maybe. My kid is 12 yr old L8 so I have no horse in this race, just an obsessive fascination with how the system works!
So you noticed the vault change in the new document then?

So you noticed the vault change in the new document then?

Yep. I'm a little ambivalent about it. Vault is my dd's strength and her piked tsuk is very consistent so it's likely she'll often just do one and be done. However, I think she would have benefited from the old way of taking the best of two scores. On the other hand, I've watched enough L8 meets to see some super scary vaults. It'll be interesting to see if this change has any effect and whether more coaches opt for the FHS on the second attempt if the first flipping vault was a dog's breakfast.

My daughter went to National Stream Cup in Edmonton a few years ago when she was CPN. Basically its an invitational meet.
I had heard from our previous HC that Gymnastics Ontario was no longer sending a Novice team to Stream Cup because they didn't find that it was a good meet - competition wise for our athletes. She had mentioned that they would stick to the National meets Ontario had to offer.

So the first year Alex was novice they never did that meet and the second year Alex was novice they did Canada Winter Game Trials so there was no National Stream Cup.

Now this could have changed. The HC told me this when Alex was a first year Novice. (which was two years ago)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back