Parents Bad Night at the GyM

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi Faith

I see what your saying. Like I said she still has plenty of opportunity to speak up and talk to her coaches. When they aren't on their phones, attending to their own children and eating .

MommaLove
You clearly don't have a lot of respect for the gym. And I am sure your child knows it.

It's time to change gyms

And once again stop watching practice.

Adding more skills that aren't required won't increase her score. In fact, if those non-required skills aren't executed flawlessly, they will detract from her score.

Let's say she does a required element and does it well with just .1 deduction. She then adds another skill that isn't required and does poorly with it and it gives her a .4 deduction. Had she left that skill out and done something "boring," she wouldn't have that extra .4 deduction. No sense in chancing a deduction on a skill that isn't required, especially if you can't get bonus points for doing it.

Listen - I get where you are coming from. I'm not a fan of my dd's floor routine at all. I think the dance elements leave a lot to be desired. That said, it hasn't seemed to affect her score. When she performs the tumbling runs well, makes her turn on floor, and looks clean and polished, she scores well, even with the "boring" dance moves. When other girls with "better" floor routines don't perform well on the required elements, they don't score well, no matter how pretty their routine was.

Hi Kay

I really appreciate your input I think that as of now me staying alway is going to be the best decision I can make. And your Right I will let her focus on her skills and worry less about the rest. I appreciate this forum because this has honestly been a great big help.

Thank you ❤️

MommaLove

I'm not a fan of my dd's floor routine at all. I think the dance elements leave a lot to be desired. That said, it hasn't seemed to affect her score. When she performs the tumbling runs well, makes her turn on floor, and looks clean and polished, she scores well, even with the "boring" dance moves. When other girls with "better" floor routines don't perform well on the required elements, they don't score well, no matter how pretty their routine was.

I do like my daughters routine but it is not fancy. She is not a dance kid and just starting to grow a bit in the dance stuff. I wasn't a fan of the end of her routine. I thought it needed more. Coach said leave it alone it doesn't matter as long as she does her skills well and hits her required elements.

Coach was right, she did well all season.

I believe she did. Maybe I do need to trust the coaches a little more and I will ❤️ and there is plenty of time :)

MommaLove

When my DD competed beam as a Silver she competed with just a handstand. All of her other teammates had a CW or a BWO and while my DD may have had an 'easier' routine she was the one on the podium and scoring at least 0.5 higher than her teammates. It was tough for my fellow team-parents to understand this because of the simplicity of DD's routine even though it was executed much better than other routines.

DD's group is just starting to make the transition where practices are more focused on routines vs uptraining. They have done just a few FHS vaults since last spring but last week started working them again and they were told by the HC that right now they would all score mid-8's. I have little doubt that come December many of them will be in the mid 9's.

Our girls have their first competition in mid-December. Neither our Optionals nor our Xcels have their routines yet. I don't think the new L6s have even picked their floor music yet. They are still working on their skills, adding to them and cleaning up what they have.

I guess I may have jumped the gun on this one too quickly . But it's very comforting to hear about other gyms and their tactics. I really appreciate the different points of views and comments. I am sure the coaches know what they are doing :). I guess I just have to have a little more faith and trust :)

MommaLove

I have to agree with others that have said less is more in terms of scoring for Bronze. Little Bit competed with her L3 routines as a Bronze ( small adjustment to add a tuck jump to meet bronze requirements) and got hammered. What we thought was a pretty good routine got her an 8.55 and she placed behind those that had far less difficult routines. The thing with excel Bronze (and I would assume the other excel levels) harder skills does not necessarily mean better scores. She may have had a ROBH, handstand bridge kickover, and all the other acro skills in a L3 routine but the girl that literally performed a forward roll which met ALL the acro requirements scored better. Why? Because she performed the roll perfectly where as Little Bit had multiple acro skills that were for the most part unnecessary in a Bronze routine and only got her deductions because they were not perfect. The next meet when she was old enough for L3 the routine scored a lot better.

I wouldn't be so quick to think boring choreo is the problem bc they are not being judged on the dance or lack there of

Well I thank you so much for this . I actually appreciate your comment so much . Very happy to hear what you had to say I know my daughter will be happy to hear this tip :) thank you so so so much

MommaLove

I have to take the bad with the good. Especially when my DD has made friends here and sometimes it's about comfort.

MommaLove

Momma love,

Be sure there is no safety issues if the coaches are truly not paying attention. Your daughter will make friends and be happy in a new gym, if that is what is necessary.

I have a good friend whose DD has had to move gyms 2 times in the last year. Both times, she was happy to report that " the girls were super nice!" And her DD made friends quickly.

Reactions: sce
My daughter is very well mannered and friendly so I have no doubt she'll make friends. And one thing positive I feel safe here so thank god for no issues there :) but thank you so much :)!

MommaLove

I'm trying to understand but I'm not sure I understand. Are you new to the gym? You're not, right? Have you always had trust issues with the gym? Has something changed in the interem? Also, I will say this. My DD danced for many years, even semi professionally. She had lots of good training there. She did ballet. It hasn't translated well to all floor routines at all. Being a dancer can help but it's not the end all be all. I feel like there has to be more going on here.

Also, just so everyone is clear, the OPs DD competes USAIGC and not Xcel. It's been our experience with usaigc that the judges do seen to expect more than bare minimums and you won't often see bare minimums competed, and least not in the area we were in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back