WAG Nutrition component of coaching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think most kids coming to practice with pop (diet or regular) and junk food are not doing so because they have parents who have thoughtfully prepared them the healthiest snack to meet their dietary needs. A more likely scenario is the junk food was in the cupboard and the kid grabbed it.

Actually, even more likely -- it was all that was available in the vending machine in the gym lobby and the child was hungry having come straight from school. Perhaps the snacked parents packed was eaten at recess, or forgotten, or whatever. Seriously, I think the most frustrating thing with our gym a couple of years ago was a letter from the coach complaining about the girls eating "junk" before practice. I took a photo of the lobby vending machine and sent it to him -- not a single thing he listed as "healthy options" was available, and all of the things he complained about were clearly visible. Sure it would be best for kids to bring snack from home. But it is not always possible for a huge number of reasons. So, at the very least, if you are going to say that oreos (or whatever) aren't a healthy option, they shouldn't be the only things in your vending machine!

Actually, even more likely -- it was all that was available in the vending machine in the gym lobby and the child was hungry having come straight from school. Perhaps the snacked parents packed was eaten at recess, or forgotten, or whatever. Seriously, I think the most frustrating thing with our gym a couple of years ago was a letter from the coach complaining about the girls eating "junk" before practice. I took a photo of the lobby vending machine and sent it to him -- not a single thing he listed as "healthy options" was available, and all of the things he complained about were clearly visible. Sure it would be best for kids to bring snack from home. But it is not always possible for a huge number of reasons. So, at the very least, if you are going to say that oreos (or whatever) aren't a healthy option, they shouldn't be the only things in your vending machine!

This. 110%

... So, at the very least, if you are going to say that oreos (or whatever) aren't a healthy option, they shouldn't be the only things in your vending machine!

Yes!!

I mean, my goodness. My DD competed this weekend and you know what she got in her meet goodie bag? Oreos, chocolate, suckers, and popcorn....

(Also an odd collapsible container which I can't tell whether it's a snack cup, small drinking cup, or perhaps a large portable shot glass for mommy and daddy to bring to meets?)

Of course these bags are handed off right before awards. And ALL of the kids stuffed their faces with it during awards. Because they were super protected from mom and dad saying no, what with that railing and all.

My DD completely ignored the grapes and cashews packed in her gym bag. Cause yum.

P.S. What idiot gives kids bags of POPCORN to eat right on the competitive surface of the FLOOR?! I nearly hyperventilated thinking of all of those tiny popcorn pieces they must need to vacuum up between each session.

Yes!!
P.S. What idiot gives kids bags of POPCORN to eat right on the competitive surface of the FLOOR?! I nearly hyperventilated thinking of all of those tiny popcorn pieces they must need to vacuum up between each session.

Nuts on the floor are better or smushed slippery grapes???? Popcorn is actually a rather healthy snack choice depending on how it is made.

We are not allowed to bring nuts. Gymmies with nut allergies.

And at our gym, no food. Only exception camp days, lunch in the waiting room. No food of any kind gets past the waiting room, ever.

Nuts on the floor are better or smushed slippery grapes???? Popcorn is actually a rather healthy snack choice depending on how it is made.

We are not allowed to bring nuts. Gymmies with nut allergies.

And at our gym, no food. Only exception camp days, lunch in the waiting room. No food of any kind gets past the waiting room, ever.

Our gym is very similar. No food on the floor at all. Ever. Snacks in the lobby if practice is > 4hours. We are allowed nuts, even though we have a couple of gymnasts with severe allergies.

This has been a very enlightening thread for me. One of the parents in our parent group has been pushing for a nutritionist to come in and speak to our team girls.

Just be sure that, if you do have someone some in, be sure you select carefully. I could call myself a nutritnionist. That title is not regulated. RDs are regulated and have educational requirements and have to pass a licensing exam, etc. (The food pyramid is out of date. Neither the on from the 70s nor the 90s is current).

As for oreos, sure they are probably not the best choice as a regular meal, but they have lots of easily digested carbs that can be perfect to give an energy boost for a tough workout.

@Deleted member 18037 Wasn't stating that popcorn is unhealthy (chocolate and Oreos and suckers were, though). My kids schools have monthly popcorn days as fundraisers which I volunteer for. Granted, this popcorn at the meet was definitely artificially buttered, so... Anyway, a child who is sitting during awards can easily pick up a grape or an unsalted whole cashew. Spilled popcorn with all the residue? Seems like a bigger risk.

I am allergic to peanuts and soy. I am not at all insensitive to food allergies. I've also experienced anaphylaxis as a 20 year old, which was the single most scary event of my life. That said, my kids go to peanut-free schools... which I do personally appreciate when I visit at lunchtime.

But when snacks are not restricted? I do send them with almonds or cashews which are special-ordered and certified peanut-free since we do not allow peanut products into our home. This is because my kids sometimes need calorie-dense foods and there are only so many labeled peanut-free and tree-nut-free foods that give them substantial calories and are relatively healthy.

And unless you completely restrict snacks to those labeled peanut and tree nut free, there's always going to be an element of risk to those with severe allergies. This is difficult, because a parent can rinse some grapes and plop them into a bag with the same hands that just made peanutbutter toast for breakfast and then didn't wash their hands.

As to eating on the gym floor... Neither of my kids ever have when practicing, but those kids were sure demolishing those snacks at the host gym during the meet.

We had one child (of such a family) go hungry due to a coach like this who deemed her home made snack wasn't healthy enough and threw it in the bin!!! Not the coaches place at all.
well my DD gets what she feels she wants, sometimes its carrots and dips, sometimes its cake, but its all homemade, no additives, no colours, no preservatives, the word is balance.

If she gets three square at home and the only time she eats crisps (chips) is at the gym her diet is still balanced, but the coach may not see that, its all about the big picture

Our building owner just kicked out the "healthy" vendor because they didn't pay their rent. Now we are stuck with a vending machine full of junk.

How do you "know" this?

To make such a statement with anything resembling certainty would require you to have extensive knowledge about the dietary habits (including when they're not at the gym) of every single kid you've ever coached.

You may not know of any specific kid you've coached who developed an eating disorder, but statistics suggest that unless the number of kids you've coached is very small, odds are at least one of them probably had an eating disorder at some point in their life.

I'm pretty close with my gymnasts and families. I guess I shouldn't say that I know that 100% of them haven't had an eating disorder, but I am 98% sure.

Let's put it this way; I don't think overprocessed things like Oreos are healthy during practice. Those little vending machine packages are about 480 calories worth. I'm good with kids having carbs and fats and other easily digestible things during practice, just not cookies and chips. I also don't think those protein bars that are also overprocessed and hard to digest are a good thing either.

I'm pretty close with my gymnasts and families. I guess I shouldn't say that I know that 100% of them haven't had an eating disorder, but I am 98% sure.

Let's put it this way; I don't think overprocessed things like Oreos are healthy during practice. Those little vending machine packages are about 480 calories worth. I'm good with kids having carbs and fats and other easily digestible things during practice, just not cookies and chips. I also don't think those protein bars that are also overprocessed and hard to digest are a good thing either.

While I don't send my kid to practice with coke and oreos, honestly if she grabs chips or cookies from the vending area (we don't have a machine) during practice I could give a rip. She burns more than that in 30 min of practice and as a picky eater I'll take her energy where she can get it. She eats well at home. Loves veggies and salads and fruit and eats eggs and pb&j. She's picky so her list of foods is short. And one day she'll love a protein bar and hate it the next. So if she grabs oreos and chugs some water or Gatorade one practice because she's low on energy, so be it. If her coach ever tossed her snack because it was deemed unhealthy I'd have some serious words.

I don't know what size packages you are used to, but that is a crazy high calorie count for a snack size. An oreo has about 40 calories each and 160 for a serving of 4. My kids have received the little packages with 6 in it from goodies bags - so about 240 calories.

When you make easily refuted posts, it makes is more difficult to read the rest of what you post without wondering about the accuracy of that as well.

Reactions: sce
I don't know what size packages you are used to, but that is a crazy high calorie count for a snack size. An oreo has about 40 calories each and 160 for a serving of 4. My kids have received the little packages with 6 in it from goodies bags - so about 240 calories.

When you make easily refuted posts, it makes is more difficult to read the rest of what you post without wondering about the accuracy of that as well.

Yes, I know. I should be a little more careful of just making a blanket statement.

Some of the kids bring huge snacks! One girl brought a big bag of Whoppers once. I can say with 100% honesty that I have never thrown a snack away. Something is better than nothing.

But, how would you feel if a girl brought a pbj sandwich for snack? That likely does have close to 400 calories and probably as much fat and carbs as those oreos. It has more protein, but during practice thst may not be the best thing.

But, how would you feel if a girl brought a pbj sandwich for snack? That likely does have close to 400 calories and probably as much fat and carbs as those oreos. It has more protein, but during practice thst may not be the best thing.

It's not really a good snack option either.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but honestly, I don't care what my child's coach thinks about what she eats. So long as he keeps it to himself, that is his right. I do, however, care if he voices an opinion that is outside of his area of expertise -- which is gymnastics, not nutrition and most certainly NOT my child's diet overall. Think what you like, judge as much as you please, just don't voice it to my child! You can voice it to me if you must -- and I'll probably shoot you down with information. But do not say anything to my child unless it involves actual gymnastics or behavior during practice time.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but honestly, I don't care what my child's coach thinks about what she eats. So long as he keeps it to himself, that is his right. I do, however, care if he voices an opinion that is outside of his area of expertise -- which is gymnastics, not nutrition and most certainly NOT my child's diet overall. Think what you like, judge as much as you please, just don't voice it to my child! You can voice it to me if you must -- and I'll probably shoot you down with information. But do not say anything to my child unless it involves actual gymnastics or behavior during practice time.

Not disrespectful. We are all entitled to our opinion. I hardly ever see what the kids bring and have as a snack to be honest. Unless it's crumbs from the aforementioned cookie around their mouth. Or it is all over the floor after practice.

I think there is one point that has been made several times in this thread in different ways, that in my personal opinion is the most important.

Coaches or other gym staff should not be directing comments about food choices, whether as a whole or especially regarding one individual gymnast TO THE GYMNASTS.

I think, with careful consideration and discussion, it can work for a gym to have a certified (insert proper title here... nutritionist, etc.), come and speak in a group setting to the parents as a voluntary attended meeting. Suggestions about timing of meals and snacks throughout the day to deal with the hectic gymnast lifestyle, choices of the types of food that could be chosen, and how nutrition affects an athlete's performance, recovery, etc. could all be suggested topics. A survey of what parents want to learn about could also be useful.

I do not think it is ever wise for coaching staff to begin discussing these things with the gymnasts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back