Parents Level 5 to 6 with lower level 5 score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You all are making nervous about L5. Lol!

Our gym hasn't competed 5 since 2013. That's not to say they won't see a need for it in the future with the upcoming level 4's. All of our girls since 2013 tested out. Don't be scared! I'm sure your dd will rock it! Remember, gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint!

I think there are lots of fear 'opportunities' with level 5. My DD's issues to me seem to do a lot with limited if any uptraining for level 5 so basically it was starting from scratch 4 1/2 months ago after finishing level 4. And a bad fall did not help things. I think for those girls in gyms that do lots of uptraining while prior to and then while competing level 4 would it might not be terrible. But without that preparation it is challenging for at least for mine for sure.

My DD scored out of what was then level 6, now level 5 so that the coaches could move her along to optionals. If your only objective is just to get the qualification score for level 5 then don't fret about the score itself. Just work to get that 31 and move on. Lots of gymnasts do this, as judges at level 5 are excessively picky and the scoring is really tough. After skipping on through the level, DD was able to focus on the skills she needed to have at new level 6. How did that work out? Well she was state champion at level 6 on beam, and received a fourth place at level 7 regionals. So I'd say she did pretty good.

It would be awesome to score out of L5 at 31. If we were able to do that I would go for it an move on. I sounds like a lot of gyms have success in doing that so your DD will be fine. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

My DD finished lvl 4 last year with mostly high 36's at the last few meets. Scored out of 5 this summer with a 34.65 ( was still spotted on the fly away). Of course she broke her wrist 3 weeks after score out that is a whole other story ;) but everyone on her team that went to score out got a 34 or highter. I think lvl 6 is going to be much more fun. Glad we are doing it this way! Good luck!

My DD finished lvl 4 last year with mostly high 36's at the last few meets. Scored out of 5 this summer with a 34.65 ( was still spotted on the fly away). Of course she broke her wrist 3 weeks after score out that is a whole other story ;) but everyone on her team that went to score out got a 34 or highter. I think lvl 6 is going to be much more fun. Glad we are doing it this way! Good luck!
Sorry to hear about your DDs wrist. That's incredible though. Girls with spots here wouldn't score out of the 6s on bars, most likely, so that's an amazing score.

Sorry to hear about your DDs wrist. That's incredible though. Girls with spots here wouldn't score out of the 6s on bars, most likely, so that's an amazing score.

Her bar score was 7.8 I think but she did really well on the other 3.

It would be awesome to score out of L5 at 31. If we were able to do that I would go for it an move on. I sounds like a lot of gyms have success in doing that so your DD will be fine. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

I think we are probably about a month out. She is doing back tucks without spot but coach standing there now. And flyaway is pretty much a one finger spot. Punch fronts getting much better. It's just the bwo on beam. Which she can do but just not doing due to her fear. Will let you all know if/when it happens. It has been great hearing others have done well with this type of path/plan!!!!

My DD finished lvl 4 last year with mostly high 36's at the last few meets. Scored out of 5 this summer with a 34.65 ( was still spotted on the fly away).... everyone on her team that went to score out got a 34 or higher. I think lvl 6 is going to be much more fun.

When DD's team did their score-out meet (for old level 6), every girl was spotted on the flyaway. Scores were consistently in the 7s, but even with a 7.0 on bars they only need 8s for the other events to get better than a 31. As I recall two girls on her team didn't get 31 and had to score out at a later meet.

Level 6 is a lot more fun!!!

I SOOOO wish they would let my daughter "score out" of Level 5 and move on to Level 6. At our gym, they don't do that.... so she has to endure Level 5. Super nervous for her!!!! :(

I SOOOO wish they would let my daughter "score out" of Level 5 and move on to Level 6. At our gym, they don't do that.... so she has to endure Level 5. Super nervous for her!!!! :(
Our gym is this way, too and I totally agree with our coaches. Level 5 have important building blocks for optional gymnastics. Also, when you rush some of the skills in this level and move for a are before they are truly mastered, you end up with kids with fear issues.

I have heard this several times before so I am confident our gym does it the right way. Just wish we didn't need a 36 to get out of 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back