WAG Seeing the previous events' scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I tried to quote you above but it didn't work. My hubby is very intense during meets.
My husband is a numbers guy and the calculations he can do in his head are ridiculous.

He usually has the top 3 or 4 figured out just by watching the screen as scores are posted. Its fun to him.

If you use cards for order in your state (as my state does) rather than a heat sheet, then that is probably what we are talking about. The coach hands the scorecards to the judge in order so they are looking at that card when saluting a particular girl to go. In our state each kid has an individual card, I'm not sure if you're talking out one card for the team or not. With the direct entry of scores now the cards are not completely required but all meets in my state still do it because it's kind of expected, plus it's given to the kids at the end. The judges also write down the score on a separate sheet with the competitor number so if there's a problem with the score entry there is still another back up.

I don't know what a heat sheet is. But our girls don't have individual cards. The coaches write the order for an event on one card/piece of paper. The judges then write the each judges score and the average down on the event/flight paper and that goes to the volunteer keeping scores. The list does not go back to the girls or coaches at all (as far as I know). The next event is a new piece of paper with that event's order written down. So the judges get a piece of paper with names and no scores on it when the girls line up for their event.

Sometimes the meet will provide a little certificate with their scores on it during awards, but it is something they print at the end, not something that followed the girls through the meet.

I don't know what a heat sheet is. But our girls don't have individual cards. The coaches write the order for an event on one card/piece of paper. The judges then write the each judges score and the average down on the event/flight paper and that goes to the volunteer keeping scores. The list does not go back to the girls or coaches at all (as far as I know). The next event is a new piece of paper with that event's order written down. So the judges get a piece of paper with names and no scores on it when the girls line up for their event.

Sometimes the meet will provide a little certificate with their scores on it during awards, but it is something they print at the end, not something that followed the girls through the meet.

Oh, I see, that is different than the score cards I assume the OP is talking about. Here, each kid had a card with a label that has their name on it and a space for each of the 4 events. The coaches put the cards in order and hand them to the judges, and the judges use that to call each kid when they salute. Then when they're done they write the score on the card. The coach picks the cards up at the end of the rotation n brings them to the next judge in order. So the judges can see the previous events.

Thanks gymdog. That is exactly what I was describing.

On the subject of watching the pen movement of the judges, another thing I dread is if the judges take a long time to post the score. We joke that there must be more deductions to add up. :)

Thanks gymdog. That is exactly what I was describing.

On the subject of watching the pen movement of the judges, another thing I dread is if the judges take a long time to post the score. We joke that there must be more deductions to add up. :)

Or they disagree about a score. They must be within a certain range of one another and if they are not, they conference and get within range before the score can be posted.

Since for whatever reason I can't quote messages today, let me just say that randomizing is just as the name implies - the competition order of the gymnast's first event is randomly determined. Subsequent events stay in the same order, but with a different lead-off competitor based on dropping down a number of athletes depending on how many are in the rotation group.

And yes, a "random draw" for competition order is required at state championships and above. What I do is to determine my rotation groups (I don't split up gyms) and then I randomly determine what event that group will start on and then I randomly draw (determine) the order of the athletes in that group for their first event. The meet scoring software can randomize the group or you can draw names out of a hat.

I think almost, if not all, meets my dd has attend they have used the software equipment which does what you describe above. We've been to a select few meets out of state where the coaches choose the order of the gymnasts, but that is rare. I like that it is randomized and out of their control as it gets them used to dealing with different situations so that when you get to states and regionals they are used to having to just deal with whatever order they get.

I think the random order is best too. My experience has been the coaches pick the order and that order seems to go weakest to strongest gymnasts on each event. Of course the scores don't always work out that way but floor seems to get scored like that a lot.

Speaking of order .... Last season, my DD was a middle of the road gymnast on a very good team of about 14 girls. Some of the girls were spectacular. She always was the first to be sent out on at least 2 events per meet. Her score was, for the most part, higher than the preceding team's girls. But I always knew that if she got a 9.25 on floor/bar/beam, being the first in the line-up, then the judges would start rolling out 9.5's and 9'7s when the rest of the girls came. The girls on her team that scored lower than her had to have made an obvious mistake, like a fall. Her club *always* wins first place in the team competition.

One particular time, she was really happy to see a score of 9.25 after the girls from the previous teams were getting 8's. But the happiness turned to disappointment when she didn't even medal with a 9.25

I told her to count it as a compliment that the coaches think she is solid enough to go first so often at each meet.

She always ends up doing better at states when the order is random.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back