Parents Dear beam cartwheel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinmomma

Proud Parent
i hate you.

Seriously. My poor DD is so frustrated we have had tears now every beam night for a week.

Private tomorrow to hopefully figure out the issue. I think there's some confidence involved. But dammit I'm over that skill.

The thing that helped my DD was making sure her arms were glued by her ears as she came up from the cartwheel. If they weren't next to her ears she was likely to fall. And she can't try to.slow it down or control it. Best of luck!!!

My level 6 dd has never been able to cartwheel on beam, ever. She can BWO, FWO, and the BHS is coming along nicely, and she is even starting to put Ariels on the beam, but she couldn't cartwheel even if there was lava under it. Her coach always jokes she looks about 96 years old when she attempts it.

It's funny that this thread is entitled this way, because tonight at practice, I was thinking in general terms: Dear Gym Gods.....:D
(They were listening tonight, woo hoo!)

Hang in there!! Good thoughts coming for that private.:)

I'm sorry! We're in this camp too...(not as bad as kip camp of course....arrrr). Puma Jr was never taught beam CW before, so it's been a real treat! Her beam BWO is a million times better...I wish that could be done in L4 instead...keep us posted and good luck! You're not alone!!!

I wrote your post this time last year!!!
After the 3rd meet, I was texting DD's favorite coach her scores. Let her know she fell off beam AGAIN. I finally said "I just asked DD if anyone teaches them just how to fight to stay on beam and she said no". One private later, and DD stays on the beam. When I sent the video of the next one to the coach, she said "OMG, she listened! She did everything I told her to do!!".
Wish I could tell you what that was... because I know nothing.

But I will share that I'm in the Dear BWO camp :(

I'm sorry! We're in this camp too...(not as bad as kip camp of course....arrrr). Puma Jr was never taught beam CW before, so it's been a real treat! Her beam BWO is a million times better...I wish that could be done in L4 instead...keep us posted and good luck! You're not alone!!!

Sorry I don't know why this posted twice....

My DD struggled w/ that skill too. She could walkover long before she mastered the carthwheel. Years later she can do them in her sleep like its second nature, so hang in there. Tell her to keep working and have patience - she will get it.

Knowing how to cartwheel is important because most kids use it as the lead up to their salto dismount in optionals - yeah, you can substitute other things, but for most kids it's an important progression. I appreciate that it's in the compulsory routines even though at the time I wished mine could do a walkover instead too.

The thing is she had it. Now all of a sudden it's inconsistent. Apparently when they tried telling her to look at her armpit she's lost as to how exactly to do that. She's super literal and is one of those kids that needs someone to PUT her in the position they want her in to make it happen sometimes. Maybe we need a thread of "Dear [insert skill here] I hate you" LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back