WAG Training times and break times - a survey

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with you Canadian gym mom I was shocked dd didn't get a break for an entire practice but now it seems typical.

This is for the boys, but the girls are similar.

The 415-715 training groups take a 15 min break around 6
The 415-815 training groups do the same.
Sat, break is midway.

Fridge and microwave are available. There is a break room for them to eat.

There are also vending machines - with a mix of stuff ranging from fruit snacks and pretzels to chips and candy.

No restrictions. Though I know they have talked about making good choices.

D has practice 5-8:30 4 nights a week...8-11:30 on Saturday.
no breaks, but can stop and eat if they need to
no fridge/no microwave.
no restrictions

Just to add that DD has been to five gyms now and this is the first to have a regular break. The first gym had breaks in summer only, but those were 6 hour days. So in our experience, no break is the norm. My DD was actually opposed to break for the first few months and didn't want to eat anything. She now eats a small snack but can't bring herself to eat whole meals like some of the girls do. They have their water on the floor and drink whenever they need, and bathroom breaks are as needed also.

My dd trains 3 days a week 5:00 to 8:30 twice a week and 12:00 to 4:00 on the weekend

They have a 10 minute break at 7 on the weekday practices and on the weekend I'm pretty sure they break at 2:30 for 10 minutes

The gym has a fridge and a microwave for the girls to use if they need to.

They are not allowed to bring peanut butter, or anything with garlic in as we have someone with a garlic allergy at the gym

DD trains 3 hrs after dinner 4 nights per week, plus Saturday, after lunch-ish. Breaks are short, between events. They do have a fridge that is accessible, but not sure about micro - I just can't remember today.

DD drinks a water/Gatorade mix and maybe grabs a handful of a snack during practice. She doesn't really like to eat much when she's there. She eats like crazy afterwards, though.

No restrictions... At least that I'm aware of!

DS has one 2-hr practice after dinner, gets just a quick water break during. He's late for one 2-hr practice as it's immediately after school, so he snacks on the way then practices like 75 min... No real break. Saturdays are same gym/time as my DD and same deal.

DD does three 4.5 hours workouts a week without a break other than to get water/whatever drink they have in their water bottle and two 5 hour workouts with 15 minute snack break. As far as I know there is no fridge or microwave for the girls. They encourage the girls not to bring sweets, but as far as I know no one actually monitors what they bring.

The gym wide rule is all practices 3 hours or more get a short break (15 minutes) and the food must be "healthy" but I also think this isn't closely monitored as the first day my DD had her first 3 hour practice one of the girls brought a small chocolate for everyone :) . The gym is also nut free so that restricts what you can bring. I don't know if there is a fridge or microwave.

I love walking in and seeing the girls (or boys) having their snack. They always look like they are having so much fun together. Especially in the nice weather when they can sit outside.

1. How long is your gymnast's training and what time of day? 4 hours

2. How long is the break? none

3. When during training do they get the break? water drink between rotations

4. Do they have a microwave/kettle/toaster/anything else available to use? water fountain, ice machine, microwave

5. Do they have a fridge to store food in? yes

6. Are there any restrictions on what they can or can't bring? no

1. How long is your gymnast's training and what time of day? 5 hours evenings

2. How long is the break? 10 minutes, plus they can get water between rotations as needed. It is also ok for them to shove some food in their mouth between rotations as well but not sitting down or anything, just shove a couple dried cranberries in their mouths and run out on the floor type of thing. My dd has had to do this when break gets pushed back late and she starts to get really tired, a few nuts and some dried fruit shoved in will get her through until break. She goes down fast when it happens so this is important for her.

3. When during training do they get the break? (If they train 5-9, break is at 6:30 for example) - usually about 2 hours in but varies by what the schedule is that day.

4. Do they have a microwave/kettle/toaster/anything else available to use? No.

5. Do they have a fridge to store food in? No

6. Are there any restrictions on what they can or can't bring? Encouraged to be healthy but what that means is left up to the discretion of the parents.

My oldest goes 5-9p (T/W/F) and 1130-330 Sat. They do get about a 10-15 min break. I am not aware of the time but around the halfway point. There are microwaves for the girls to use. The fridge kicked the bucket so for now no fridge. The only food restrictions is no popcorn. Although it is suggested to bring healthy no mess snacks.

My youngest (L3) gets no breaks during the week (4-7p) and just a short break on Saturday (1130-330). Healthy snacks no popcorn.

**No popcorn rule is new since someone made a huge mess and no one wants to pick up**

1. How long is your gymnast's training and what time of day? Coaches perspective here. Girls team level 3 and up work out for 3 hours. Optionals are sometimes 3 1/2 hours.

2. How long is the break? When during training do they get the break? No breaks, although girls are sent to get water every 1/2 hr (every 15 minutes if it's hot). They are encouraged to bring a water bottle and carry it to event so they can drink between turns. When girls first move into level 3, they are encouraged to bring a quick snack that they can eat at the 1 1/2 or 2 hr mark if they are hungry. They tend to phase this out on their own within a month. If gymnasts have health issues, they are allowed to snack as necessary. For example, we have a recently diagnosed diabetic. She tends to go low on floor and vault, so she goes and checks her blood sugar and eats a snack.

4. Do they have a microwave/kettle/toaster/anything else available to use? Do they have a fridge to store food in? Microwave and fridge are officially staff use only, but when kids are there all day, I've seen them use it. In the summer, some groups have the option of double workouts 9-12 or 10-1 and then 4-7. Some parents can't pick up and drop back off, so their pre-teens/teens will stay at the gym, read, eat lunch, and help with summer camp a bit. I know I've seen some use the fridge and we haven't stopped them.

6. Are there any restrictions on what they can or can't bring? No. We will suggest bringing something "healthy," but leave that to them and their parents to define. Exception being severe allergies. For example, one year we had a level 3 with a severe peanut allergy. We asked other level 3s not to bring peanut-snacks to meets, because, if they say, "high fived" her with peanut dust on their hands...bad news!

DD practices 4 hours 3 evenings a week. They have a snack break that lasts less than 10 minutes after their second rotation (so about 2.5 hours in). The girls grab a quick snack, use the restroom, grab their tiger paws or heel cups (if they use them and depending on the next rotation), ice anything that needs it, and generally act like silly little girls.

They bring water bottles from event to event and can drink at any time as they wait at a station. DD drinks anywhere from 20-40 ounces during a 4 hour practice (more in the heat of summer).

About 1/2 the girls bring their own snack. The gym also provides snacks - things like yogurt, cheese sticks, pretzels, fruit snacks, etc. Basically kid friendly, quick easy snacks. Somewhat healthy, but definitely wouldn't pass muster from everyone here. There us a fridge, but it is for the coaches and the gym provided food. Some girls bring a lunch bag with an ice pack. No microwave - honestly snack breaks aren't lon enough for that.

1. How long is your gymnast's training and what time of day?

My youngest trains 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours each time
2 x evening training
1 x morning training

My oldest trains 3 days a week for 2 hours each time
2 x evening training
1 x afternoon training

2. How long is the break?

During normal training they only get drink breaks and toilet breaks after each rotation.

During holiday raining time they would get a snack break if the training is over 3 hours each session and they are required to take a packed lunch if the training is from morning to afternoon.

My oldest took part in a training camp and they had breaks for lunch that was provided and they also got an evening meal.

3. When during training do they get the break? (If they train 5-9, break is at 6:30 for example)

Hard to say but if they train throughout the day they break for lunch around 12pm - 1pm, half an hour to eat and half an hour to let their dinner go down.

4. Do they have a microwave/kettle/toaster/anything else available to use?

I don't think so but they do have a cafe area with all the above stuff but haven't seen the gymnasts use it, the coaches might do though.

5. Do they have a fridge to store food in?

See above
I think they have a freezer or fridge freezer in the gym somewhere, perhaps in a storage cupboard.

6. Are there any restrictions on what they can or can't bring?

I don't think so, except for no fizzy drinks during training.

DD trains usually for four hour blocks. After school during the week, in the morning on Saturdays, and after church on Sundays.

5-10 minutes max

3. When during training do they get the break? (If they train 5-9, break is at 6:30 for example)

A little past mid-way through practice.

Their break area has a refrigerator/freezer as well as a microwave.

Yes.

No list of food but I have witnessed coaches suggesting healthier choices from the snack bar. It seems like they stress healthy choices for the gymnasts who are already fit. I remember hearing a coach "jokingly" scold a very thin child for choosing potato chips one day but then not saying a word to a chubbier teammate which seemed counter-intuitive to me but whatever.

That being said, the girls are allowed to bring birthday celebration treats and nothing is said if that treat is cupcakes or cookies. But fruit makes the coaches happier. And sometimes the coaches give frozen treats as a reward. And even a couple of "fun-size" candy pieces for a special reward. As the mom who is driving the kid home to dinner, the candy drives me up a wall.

4 hours. 4pm-8pm

15 minutes. Sometimes a little longer. Also water breaks between rotations.

Varies depending on the training day, but between 5:15 and 6:30pm.

No. Though if there were a kid with some kind of special dietary need, perhaps they could arrange to use the one in the coach's lounge.

No. But same as above - might work it out for a special case of some kind.

I've heard other parents say we are nut-free, but I have never heard that from a coach or in our contract, and plenty of kids bring granola bars, so.....other than that, we are periodically encouraged to "supply healthy snacks such as dried fruit, yogurt, seeds, and plain water to drink.." But different coaches have made other 'recommendations' in emails before, such as Jerky, Granola, Nuts (yes, nuts), Cheese...

Trains M-F. 2:30-6:30pm everyday. No official break. She keeps crackers or something quick to pop in her mouth when they go to a new event and she has a second to grab some out of her bag/locker.

3.5-4 hours, no snack break but they drink regularly and are allowed to put something quickly into their mouths while they are getting a drink. Nuts are banned. My daughter doesn't bother to eat so I have stopped packing food for her.

There is no fridge or microwave.

Development and foundation levels take snack breaks, but they are mostly quite young so they may need them more.

I also wish the coaches would remind the girls to wash their hands before eating. My daughter never remembers on her own, even when I remind her at drop-off.

A tip I got from another gym mother that I now use for school where everyone forgets hand washing, is to put a little packet of sanitizing wipes in the lunchbox. Then they cannot forget and it is better than nothing for cleaning hands before eating.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back