Coaches How to start an Xcel program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

scootch

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter goes to a noncompetitive gym. Her coach has talked about her possibly competing at Xcel level. I used to coach gymnastics years ago, so much has changed. What would be the steps for a new gym to start competing Xcel? Thanks.

Get a copy of the Xcel Code of Points.
Look into leotard / warm ups / bags / meet prices as well as USAG and State registration fees.
Talk to parents about if they would even want a team- have a meeting. Give parents some rough numbers. Find out how many meets they would want to attend, how far they would be willing to drive, etc.

If you could "pre-evaluate" the girls to see where they are currently based on competing both maximum and minimum skills, you might have a range of divisions to consider starting with (not everyone would necessarily need to start with Bronze).

Do you know off hand the approximate costs of USAG and STate Registration fees? or is that all just in the Code of Points. He is having me do some of the initial research as he is having some surgery this week. Not sure if several kids will compete or just a couple. Thank you.

Do you know off hand the approximate costs of USAG and STate Registration fees? or is that all just in the Code of Points. He is having me do some of the initial research as he is having some surgery this week. Not sure if several kids will compete or just a couple. Thank you.
State fees vary by state. You could look up your state USAG website to find out.... I have seen as high as $15.
USAG fees for Introductory Athlete (Xcel and JO L1-L2) is $20 (annually).
IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE THEM:
The coaches that will be "on the floor" with them at meets have to have a Professional Membership $89 (annually) ... plus a background check (minimum of $21.25 every 2 years)... plus U101 - Safety & Risk Management $65 (every 4 years) ... plus U100 - Fundamentals of Gymnastics Instruction (free).

You have been great. I really appreciate it. I can navigate through some of that information to help him out. I do know he belongs to the USAG THANK YOU!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back