Parents To Wear or Not To Wear? That is the ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Taurus

Proud Parent
Hi All- Long time reader, 1st time poster! Here's my question- what do you all think is the proper etiquette for wearing medals at the awards ceremony? #1 You want your DD/DS to keep them on as a respectful nod to the sport and other competitors? #2 You understand that it may cause your child to be embarrassed a bit to have them on while others do not have any? #3 You couldn't care less bc you are just so tickled that your darling won!! - pls comment as this has become quite a hot topic around here lately!!

Do you mean during award ceremonies having the gymnast keep the medals on while they are going up for more medals or do you mean after their division has been awarded should they keep them on or take them off? Personally, I have seen gyms and gymnasts do it both ways and I don't feel one way or the other about it. Those girls worked hard for their medals and if they want to wear them, I have no problem with that.

If they want to wear them they do, if they feel uncomfortable because they have them while others don't, they take them off. Not my medals, not my choice (and as a parent, I really don't care if they decide to wear them or not.)

All of our girls wear them proudly, but it's never been an issue! On occasion, one of dd teammates won't medal but there has never been any animosity between them or their parents. Dd has felt sad for those who don't medal and has been there to hug and support them.

I think it also depend on what level you are talking about. The higher the level, the less likely that everyone receives something. Also, there is a better understanding of the sport once you hit optionals.

There were definitely more tears (from the girls) in compulsories than in optionals (from my experience). Just my opinion though.

The reason why I ask is bc I see some yank them off their necks and drop them on the floor during the ceremony, while those who haven't placed are sitting around them- just wondering if this was seen as disrespectful

My DD takes hers off once she's off the stage. She doesn't like the feel of the ribbon on her neck. I don't care but it makes me bat crap crazy when she forgets to put them in her gym bag.

On this same note.... Am I the only one who hates the clanging???? That sound makes my teeth hurt!

My dd wears them until she gets in the car. I've never noticed anyone taking them off during the awards ceremony, but she's only a couple of meets into her second season, so I don't have a ton of experience to base that on. :)

My ODD isn't one to get a lot of medals, so she definitely wears them when she does. In fact, she wore her regionals medal until she went to bed that night, hours later. My YDD has a sensory thing and takes them off as soon as her awards session is done. I don't let her take them off before that.

We usually get ribbons (except at the bigger meets -Championships ... and Y Nationals- if we are SUPER lucky). The girls keep hold of their ribbons and wear their medals until their age group has concluded. Then, for ribbons, they put them in their bags or give them to their parents. For the medals, about half the girls keep them on until the entire award ceremony is over... or until they get to show HC... or until they get home... or however long they want. YG wore hers last season until her session was finished. Then she came and laid them in front of me - as I was at a table getting ribbons set out for the next session!!! Luckily, hers had her name stickers on the back and i was able to put them in her bag for her :)

Ok I'm throwing this out there- I told my own that she needs to keep them on until we walk out of the gym door - I told her that it was disrespectful to the other competitors, her team, and to the gym that gave them to her, to just rip them off and drop them on the ground in front of others who were wishing they had them - after we leave, she can do whatever w/ them bc they are hers and she has earned them but until she learns to remove them without a hundred other pairs of eyes on her, to pls keep them on as a show of good sportsmanship - but it was brought to my attention that it might be seen from other competitors as showing off ..

Ok I'm throwing this out there- I told my own that she needs to keep them on until we walk out of the gym door - I told her that it was disrespectful to the other competitors, her team, and to the gym that gave them to her, to just rip them off and drop them on the ground in front of others who were wishing they had them - after we leave, she can do whatever w/ them bc they are hers and she has earned them but until she learns to remove them without a hundred other pairs of eyes on her, to pls keep them on as a show of good sportsmanship - but it was brought to my attention that it might be seen from other competitors as showing off ..

Interesting perspective. My daughter says that her coaches specifically tell them not to wear their medals during awards. They must take them off and put them on the ground or in their gear bag, so that if they are called up on the podium again, they will only be wearing one medal at a time.

I have no idea of the logic for that, though.

After awards, many put them on and take photos, while others just leave them in the bag.

I have not seen any issue between girls with more/fewer/no medals - I don't think this is the reason coaches instruct them to take them off between awards.

Maybe the clinking is considered disrespectful? So that you can hear the names of all other gymnasts being called?

Ha! My DH calls her "reindeer" when she comes clacking in after a meet! It's prob just me being old school and in my sport, one didn't get a medal at every meet - but there was a post awile ago about someone witnessing a young girl trying to stop crying bc she didn't get a medal- I showed my girl that post & it made her cry/ was trying to teach her some emphathy for others, but I'm guessing nowadays, w/ so much being handed out, I should just Beetle it & Let It Be

I woudn't be too happy if my DD took it off in frustration or anger in how she placed. In that case I would have a talk with her on sportsmanship. Otherwise though I don't care. My DD takes hers off pretty quickly. She doesn't like the added attention that she thinks medals give her.

This is so interesting. All these years and I have never put any thought into this. I guess I let my daughter do her thing. I too would be upset and a conversation would definitely be had if she yanked it off and threw it on the floor, even if it was just the perception that she was upset about her placement and not actually what was going on. Respecting her fellow competitors who all worked their hardest that day too is very important. We emphasize being gracious and being grateful and respectful no matter where she places. If she wins then the high fiving and jumping up and down can wait until we get to the car and on the same note, so can any tears.

All that said, there has definitely been more than one time that she is still wearing them, clanking and all, when we stop to eat afterward. She proudly walks right into the restaurant showing them off. And not only when she wins. Some of the most special medals have come after a hard day or overcoming something or a clean routine that has been problematic. She is proud of them and worked hard for them, she should enjoy them in the way that feels best for her.

In two years of compulsories I have never seen anyone take the medals off during awards. Ever. Not saying I would necessarily think poorly of it, just have never seen it. They all have kept them on during the entire awards. 2 different states, many different clubs and meets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back