Parents why do some parents record all kids' scores?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
There are always a couple of parents that I notice recording everyone on the team's scores. Why is this important to them? Of course I cheer for the other kids but I'm not at all interested in their scores and don't really understand why anyone would be. I do notice cut-off score for placement in various age-groups, etc -but I don't worry about how other teammates did. Curious why some people seem so interested in this.

some parents do it for team scores. some do it because they don't like surprises at the awards. But honestly, I think a lot of parents do it to keep them busy and less nervous during the meet. And the higher the level, the more nervous you get. Both for your own child and for teammates.

I can only answer for myself but I use an app to record scores because I love numbers and data and it's an easy format to allow me to record all scores and keep them for the entire season. I can easily see team scores, season averages, season high lows , etc. And I don't have to keep track of pen and pencil!

There have been several times when my team mom friends have asked to borrow my phone to check their daughters scores for one reason or another. It's just a personal preference. I have every score my daughter has ever received. In a spreadsheet. With graphs. :)

I wouldn't really sweat it. If you aren't into the numbers, then no worries. Just don't think those of who are into them are nuts!

The brother of one of my dd's teammates recorded everything. He loved to sit there and analyze everything as the meet went on.

I myself love statistics, graphs, trends. I just don't like to know the results of my dd's meet in progress. I like to be surprised :)

I don't keep track of other kids scores. That's too much work and I don't care how kids I don't know are scoring. Just our little group.....

At my old gym that was my "job". I recorded all the scores for our team and then emailed them to someone else who put out a newsletter and/or sent scores into local newspapers. I only did it one year, it was a giant pain in the butt.

I try to record all my DDs friends scores because she likes me to do so. She keeps a book of meet memories and it all goes in there. Plus she has used scores to try and cheer her friends up occasionally. Like she would say to someone how even if it wasn't her best AA day, her beam and vault score went up... Same way she would say they improved something even if the scores don't reflect it...

I think some parents do it for altruistic reasons and some do it for competitive reasons (I've known both types). I personally like a little excitement at awards so I never write anything down. I can usually always remember my DDs exact scores so it's kind of fun to hear them call the placements and hope each score they call is lower than hers as things go up. Most of the time everything ends up online w/in a few weeks anyways, so why spend so much effort at the meet writing stuff down that you can just look up later. And, just like with watching practice, writing down scores isn't going to make your kid score any higher ;).

At my old gym that was my "job". I recorded all the scores for our team and then emailed them to someone else who put out a newsletter and/or sent scores into local newspapers. I only did it one year, it was a giant pain in the butt.
I do it because it is part of my job. I track all the scores for our team for all levels in all sessions at all meets. I also track their placements (noting the number of girls in each age group and noting ties) and team placements.
Then, I go home and enter them into a spreadsheet and create a journal entry for the team website about the meet. I discuss the positives about each JO level and Xcel division.
For each group, I list: # of Personal Best Event Scores, # of Personal Best AA Scores, # of 1st Place, 2nd Place, and 3rd Place Event Finishes, # of 1st Place, 2nd Place, and 3rd Place AA Finishes. Any 9.0+ Clubbers (gymnast, event, and score)
Any Y Nationals Qualifiers.
# of Team Best Event Scores, any Team Best AA Scores and Team Placement.
I attach the spreadsheet (important info highlighted or a different color) and post the journal entry on the team website.
I have been doing this for the last 6 years (this will be year #7).

I frequently have parents ask me about scores they may have missed or if that was Suzy's best ever Floor score ... and even the HC will ask me if Rosy has qualified for Nationals yet... or what she needs in the last event to qualify.

I do play with the numbers at home because I am a numbers geek, but that is just for fun :)

I am one of those who writes down random scores. I mean RANDOM. Scores for girls not on our team, not in my DD's division...there is no rhyme or reason to it, and no I am not a stalker, as the session sheets go in the trash as we leave the building. I also have no idea where my girl places, and always assume she does not. Ironically, at one meet I even forgot to write down my OWN child's score in something, and couldn't remember if she had a .75 attached to it or not. HAH!

So why do I do it?
It keeps me calm. I seriously do not like the sport; it gives me hives...but my DD adores, loves, and worships it. Thus I must be a participant in terms of a bystander. So if I see a girl finish a great routine and wow, what a score!--I write it down. Good for her, I think to myself! If I didn't have this silly irrelevant randomness to do, I think I'd lose my mind.
I also like to doodle. But I can only doodle so much before I get jumpy, so I do both. Keeps me sane. My DH has gone from thinking I was insane to thinking this was the best thing I could ever do, because it keeps me from gnawing off my arm...:confused:

Keeps me busy during a meet and keeps my mind off...everything else. Most scores are available on mymeetscores.com or host sight so not trying to really track anything. But I get crazy nervous during meets so if I can do something to help that then great.

At our first few meets I thought the parents who did this were crazy. And now I'm one of them.

I have to admit... along with the girls on our team, if we have scratches that I didn't know about in advance in YG's session, I will use those spots to keep track of girls from other teams that are competing against YG - but just the girls I know. (If we don't have scratches and I happen to catch a score, I will write it at the bottom of the page.)
We compete against the same teams year after year, so I have gotten to know some of the girls and their parents. Their parents are aware that I am doing this and even help me if I miss a score, lol. I like to know ..."Ok, there are 12 in her age group and she won't finish lower than 6th place" or something like that. I can't follow ALL of the girls, especially at the Ys where the meet is split up into 2 separate gyms and you only see 1/2 the competition.

I use an app, and keep track of my little guy's group that competes together. It's my role in our little group of parents, one is our "super cheerleader", one the photographer, etc. It is nice to see them improve each meet.

some parents do it for team scores. some do it because they don't like surprises at the awards. But honestly, I think a lot of parents do it to keep them busy and less nervous during the meet. And the higher the level, the more nervous you get. Both for your own child and for teammates.

^^^^^ This. ^^^^^

:D

It gives me something to do so I'm not nervous. All you really have to do is go on MSO if you wanted to track somebody besides your own child.

There are always a couple of parents that I notice recording everyone on the team's scores. Why is this important to them? Of course I cheer for the other kids but I'm not at all interested in their scores and don't really understand why anyone would be. I do notice cut-off score for placement in various age-groups, etc -but I don't worry about how other teammates did. Curious why some people seem so interested in this.
Every parent I have ever had that does this is just trying to stay busy. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back