WAG PE waivers/alternatives?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
My DD (4th grader- CA public school, L 6, 20+ hr. week) was excused from PE last year and until now. We have a new school principal who noted CA has a state mandated PE requirement and he is now saying DD needs to do PE. On Friday, she will have one hour of PE 2-3 followed by practice 4-8:45. Tuesdays similar PE 2:30-3. Yikes!

The PE teacher is a good person and a friend and is investigating alternatives. I thought I'd help her by reaching out here. Does anyone get their child excused from public school PE or provided some alternative? Especially in CA or other states that require it?

Thanks! I feel like DD was holding her energy/schedule together (barely) until this. She is really bummed and I'm losing sleep worried about her. To make it worse, I'm on a business trip and she was sent to PE Tuesday before I even learned of this change! Our babysitter said she was in tears at pick up :( Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be so appreciated!

The girls here in our area have to do PE as well, but they just take a summer PE class instead of doing it during the school year. Much easier to fit it in and the girls said they actually liked it. May be worth looking into.

I agree it is senseless, but we have trouble in our state too. It was twice a week in elementary, and then one semester for an hour each year of middle school. She will absolutely have to do another semester in high school in order to meet State graduation requirements. I've had no luck getting around it, and I only know of one gymnast that has ever been exempt and she was actually on an Olympic team.

All I can say is that my dd got used to it, and ultimately she was a bit of a favorite of the teacher. And best of all, she had LOTS of fun showing up the boys :)

Same here - DD did 2 hours a week in elementary school, now 1 hour every day. Your DD will get used to it. She says she likes PE. The nice part of it is that they do line dancing, fencing, and archery as well as running, flag football and basketball - so she really likes getting exposed to other sports/activities.

No PE exception in many districts around me. I've even known a few gymnasts who were injured in their school PE classes and ended up missing meets/weeks of practice over it. It it absurd that serious gymnasts have to do PE in school (I'd rather my child spend her PE time working on arts activities like music), but I have a feeling the "exceptions" would get out of control w/ every girl who takes a two hour a week rec gym or dance class calling themselves a gymnast and getting out of gym.

We are in CA. None of the elementary or middle schools we looked into allowed PE exceptions. Some of the high schools did. Their reasoning for not allowing waivers were that (1) it messes with the schedule and creates an air of favoritism and (2) PE is required by law. None of either of my DDs teammates were able to be waived except for those who went to private school.

ETA: the girls middles school had daily PE, an hour a day, and had to run a mile 2-3 a week in addition to regular PE activities. My DDs had to deal with Osgood Schlatters and Severs, respectively, and arguing with their gym teachers about the runs was an ongoing battle.

The only way to get out of PE in our district is with a doctor's note. And even that had to have specific language in as to why she should not be doing PE.

Our elementary school won't let you out of PE for anything on any basis except short term with doctor's note (as in "Suzie has a broken leg and cannot do PE for the next 4wks"). No other excuses.
In middle school, so far our experience has been favorable. They only do one semester/year of PE but it's every day. it *is* mandatory but my older DD was let out of it and other electives scheduled for her instead because of an ongoing foot injury exasperated by running (she's a serious dancer, foot is fine to dance 20hrs/wk on, not good for running).
This is gymmie's first year in middle school and I have spoken to the counselor about potentially be able to do study hall or something instead of PE as I really, really don't want her to get hurt in school PE during competition season. Hopefully that will work out!!!
I know many states allow "partial homeschooling" for PE. Likely most schools won't tell you this because every child NOT in class means less $$$ for them.... but look into it, it's possible in many cases. :)

I know that our middle school is allowed to opt out of PE based on the number of hours a child is in a sport each week. DD thought about it this year, but decided against it. She's got a full courseload of advanced honors classes (and a high school class - in 7th grade), and we talked, and I said that I'm not one to ever take the easy way out, but that if she opted out of PE, she'd end up with another elective... one that would add homework. (she wouldn't get the option of study hall - otherwise I'd be all over that!) She's already up until 10:00/10:30/11:00 most nights.
And she's finding it very fun beating the boys in the situp challenge ;)

In CA, it's up to the school district as to whether it wants to offer independent study PE but they are allowed to offer it. Some info is here: http://www.cde.ca.gov/pd/ca/pe/physeducfaqs.asp . Here is a link to a sample independent study request form, from the Santa Monica- Malibu school district, and there are others online, just to give you an idea of what is asked of the students to qualify. http://www.samohi.smmusd.org/physical_education/ispeapplication.pdf
Our gym owner is very agreeable to completing packages for gymnasts to be submitted to schools to meet the standards. I know several of my daughter's teammates have qualified for independent PE at their public schools, though they are middle school and high school students. Maybe ask your principal if s/he will consider it if you submit the info to demonstrate compliance with state standards? If they are not willing to budge, maybe there's not much to lose by going to the school district to make the request?

I'm in CA and my daughter stopped doing PE in 3rd grade. The first year I worked it out with her teacher and then the principal and the the district. She changed schools for 4th and 5th and I've filled out the paperwork and both teachers said we could just do it informally.

We are in CA as well. In elementary school there was no formal option for not doing PE, though I understand some parents were able to work something informal out. In middle and high school our district has a formal process for requesting what is called "off campus independent study" for PE. It requires at least 10 hrs./wk for middle school (15/wk) for high school of outside practice in an individual sport and competition at a regional or better level. There are additional requirements for dance, but I don't know those offhand. The gym has to sign for DDs attendance and the HC has to meet all the requirements of a substitute teacher. This year that meant that I paid for him to get a TB test. There is an application form each semester and then you turn in the attendance and evidence of competition at the end of the semester. Application asks for lesson plans and goals for the year. Takes a bit at first to get everything down on paper, but after that the process went smoothly. I think all of our middle school girls in this district are doing this.

My DD (4th grader- CA public school, L 6, 20+ hr. week) was excused from PE last year and until now. We have a new school principal who noted CA has a state mandated PE requirement and he is now saying DD needs to do PE. On Friday, she will have one hour of PE 2-3 followed by practice 4-8:45. Tuesdays similar PE 2:30-3. Yikes!

The PE teacher is a good person and a friend and is investigating alternatives. I thought I'd help her by reaching out here. Does anyone get their child excused from public school PE or provided some alternative? Especially in CA or other states that require it?

Thanks! I feel like DD was holding her energy/schedule together (barely) until this. She is really bummed and I'm losing sleep worried about her. To make it worse, I'm on a business trip and she was sent to PE Tuesday before I even learned of this change! Our babysitter said she was in tears at pick up :( Any thoughts, experiences or advice would be so appreciated!
We brought it up to our principal and we were told it has to be presented to the BOE.

I'd definitely look into getting the doctor to write a letter with the wording needed to satisfy the school people. 20 plus hours of gym plus all that school sport could be risky, particularly if she is entering/in puberty and her growth plates are inflamed. I've been pulling my daughter out of PE for the last 2 years on and off to make sure the load on her body is manageable. Some teachers have fought it, and others have been very understanding. I have found this is one topic I have to really advocate on though. An injury from playing a casual game of netball that knocks her out of gym for a few months is just not worth it.

I will be trying towards the end of this school year and will get a note if I have to.....I'll let you know how it goes.
I find that if approached a certain way, the schools actually CAN feel happy about being part of the athletes success.......but the school can be unhelpful if they choose...

I just had a meeting with DD teacher, (she was having some stress about HW deadlines) so I asked the teacher if there was any way we could help her, and stay with teachers program.......first of all, the teacher almost fell over when she found out what DD was ACTUALLY doing from 4-8..... She didn't realize what KIND of gymnastics......anywho, keep to the deadlines as much as possible +/- a day or two.....she is in DD corner now and wants to go to the next meet.

Here in FL (at least in my district) for middle school, you can sign a waiver saying you participate in a sport and they'll exempt you from PE. I can see that being a recipe for disaster for the amount of people who would lie but it's helpful for the kids who really do practice many a hours a week! They really don't do much in middle school PE here anyway, it's pretty much a zoo with 60 kids to one coach! I actually know a kid who got beat up in PE class...

Lol sport is the one bit of school my kids loooove. They'd kill me if I pulled them out of it.

Would love if homework time was an alternative though.
But would hate them missing out on trying all the sports they get to. Think it's so important when they do a high hours sport.
Chance to try new sports, find sports you might want to move to, bond with friends, show off your strength, lol!

PE is state mandate in Illinois high schools. Exemptions can be granted for many reasons and in 11th or 12th grades including participation in IHSA sport (club sports do not count), band and others. The legal language is on the il gov website. My daughter had an injury and I asked her doctor to write note requesting exemption from PE for entire year. Other high schools in Illinois are more lax with the rule than ours. My son is also a gymnast and freshman. He was just injured in PE requiring doc visits and time away from gymnastics. I would not want to take him out of PE nor would be want to - just too much fun for him. The PE program is very good for the most part. But just don't want to chance future injury for daughter and she needs the study time. For us, I would not consider taking my child out of PE before high school unless maybe on elite track.

On another note, my daughter was just injured in gymnastics. She is out for a while. Having her out of PE means she doesn't have to worry about making up missed PE time - which is required at our high school. So for her it's just cleaner to have her out of PE altogether.

The rule is outdated in my opinion and desperately needs an overhaul.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back