WAG L7 without giants?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks vagymmomma as well.

It really is about teasing out, doing it well and doing the most difficult skill that you can do well.

Sounds like if difficulty is not a factor, do the lowest skill you do really well.

Actually... by L9 a very talented bar worker such as Taylor Russon (western national bar champion this year) omit giants in favor of higher valued in-bar skills. She competed them as a L7 and L8 but dropped them for L9.

It was a nice routine, great H stand work. Beat my kid by .025! Doh! I remember her vault that day being super big.

Wow, it's interesting the difference between countries! Here in Australia, our Level 7-10's are scored execution out of 10 and then their D score is added on, in a modified program of the FIG rules. The composition requirements at each level guide what skills they do, and you can pick up bonuses from Level 9 on. In Level 7 you have 6 counting skills, Level 8 has 7 and then 9 and 10 have 8 counting skills.

Hence, the push here is to have the highest D scoring skills you can, but to compete with high execution scores if you can. Most of our Level 7's compete with a giant, and are now working on a blind change/reverse giant to add in for Level 8 or 9.

I'll have to go and watch some USA beam routines, as from Level 8 our kids are doing lots of D skills so they must look very different with the nature of your scoring.

Oh there I am in the video. lol.

This is off topic, for which I apologize, but your new avatar photo is absolutely stunning.

To redeem myself, I shall report that at DD's gym, too, it's "no giants, no L7," and the girls do not compete L6. Some of our L7s, however, compete giants that are still very much in progress. DD, who is headed into her second year of L8, spent much of the summer cleaning up her giants, and they are much better now than they were. I'd guess that some gyms might have moved her up but not had her compete giants at L7.

I'm very curious to see how the boys' side will work, as the coach will be moving boys up to L8 who don't have all of their group requirements covered on every event (DS is likely to be missing one on hi bar, though I am thinking now that he might make it on rings). We have one guy pointed toward L8 who's having a lot of trouble with giants right now. I sure hope he gets them cleaned up, because I don't think it's possible to do even the most minimal hi bar routine without giants, is it??

This is off topic, for which I apologize, but your new avatar photo is absolutely stunning.

To redeem myself, I shall report that at DD's gym, too, it's "no giants, no L7," and the girls do not compete L6. Some of our L7s, however, compete giants that are still very much in progress. DD, who is headed into her second year of L8, spent much of the summer cleaning up her giants, and they are much better now than they were. I'd guess that some gyms might have moved her up but not had her compete giants at L7.

I'm very curious to see how the boys' side will work, as the coach will be moving boys up to L8 who don't have all of their group requirements covered on every event (DS is likely to be missing one on hi bar, though I am thinking now that he might make it on rings). We have one guy pointed toward L8 who's having a lot of trouble with giants right now. I sure hope he gets them cleaned up, because I don't think it's possible to do even the most minimal hi bar routine without giants, is it??
Thanks, it's Carly throwing her pak at state. :). Ya The boys definetly do a bunch of giants!

In fact, DSs L8 high bar routine looks (to my mostly untrained eye) to be just a boatload of giants in various directions!

We had a girl relatively successful at L8 without giants this year - but she can do them well, just scared. The bars skills she did instead were much harder, in fact had she added the giants her bars routine would have had a higher start value (had she been in L9) than one of our girls competed at L9...and she fell a few times consequently. I think she spent the summer deciding if she would giant or quit - and I think she's now gianting (I am now out of the girls loop, with DD having made the opposite decision....)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back