Parents Bar shorts, a yes or no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
Our gym permits them.......I have friends at other gyms where they are not allowed except for the older girls.....
We have a large gym with many boys and girls, and a lot of traffic.......

My DD wears them, and I have told her to keep wearing them for practice.....I can't imagine working out everyday for hours with basically a bathing suit on..
Before meets, the girls usually do a few practices with just their leotard.

What do your gyms, and girls prefer?

Our gym doesn't allow them. Old gym did, but it was an easy adjustment for her since no one else wears them.

What are bar shorts?

DD wears shorts at most practices. And during summer crop tops and shorts are almost everyone's preference. It's pretty rare to see a Leo at all from about nov-mar.

Both gyms my daughter has been in do not allow shorts of any kind. I think most competitive gyms if not all in our area do not allow shorts.

Our gym allows them only during bar work but only for the older girls. The girls can wear sports bras and shorts from July-Sept but only if it's really hot. The A/C in our gym is very rarely turned on.

Absolutely no shorts if on team. Rec kids can wear them. The coach feels that you should train the same as you compete.

Absolutely no shorts if on team. Rec kids can wear them. The coach feels that you should train the same as you compete.

Genuine question, what does that mean? Our kids wear long sleeve Leo's for competition. They would absolutely roast in them in training.

I don't see how shorts have any effect on training. And a lot of the time the older girls feel more comfortable wearing them. I'd be pissy at a gym who put a blanket ban on training appropriate shorts. I have issues though.

Our gym allows bar shorts for practice, but its mainly the older girls who wear them. They stop wearing them the week before a meet. I've also never seen any of our gymnasts, team or rec, wear just a sports bra and shorts. At dance, yes, but not during gymnastics.

DD's gym allows gym shorts and DD wears them all the time. There are times though when the beam and floor coaches will ask them to remove their shorts when doing routines. Level 10 girls will sometimes wear tank tops/shorts to Saturday practice but they are the only ones allowed to do that.

Daughter doesn't like regular Leo's by themselves so she wears unitards ot Leo's with matching shorts.

Only time she wears just a Leo is meets and if she had a choice there it would be shorts to. She just gets she doesn't.

Genuine question, what does that mean? ..
I don't see how shorts have any effect on training. And a lot of the time the older girls feel more comfortable wearing them. I'd be pissy at a gym who put a blanket ban on training appropriate shorts. I have issues though.

I'm not the coach so this is just how I interpret it: I think she means that you cannot wear shorts in competitions so the coaches do not want the gymnasts to wear in practice and then "feel" strange/different when having to compete without them. I don't think the younger girls would have any problems but I could see my own 13 year old and the older girls feeling bare without them. By just not allowing them, it is one less adjustment they have to make when competing. [and my DD hates her comp leotard because it feels tight and has long sleeves. She would love it if she could compete in a tank. You are right though - I cannot imagine training in long leos.]. Since the girls have never used shorts, I don't think they perceive it as a problem. There are gyms around us who do allow shorts and the girls seem to perform fine so I guess it is just coach's prerogative.

Kids wear them at dd's gym. I've seen them on girls at all levels. And I've never heard of any restrictions on them during practice. My dd only has 1 pair though and she doesn't wear them that often.

No shorts or shortalls allowed for pre-team or team girls at all. In the winter sometimes we allow the girls to wear suitable warmup pants FOR WARMUP but then they have to go. :)
For us it has never been a problem. Gymmie grew up watching her sister dancing ballet first, no shorts allowed there either, so it was never an issue. We also don't wear undies under Leo's (that makes me cringe to see whether it's at gym or at the dance studio.... No undies necessary under Leo's!!).

All I can tell you is why we eliminated shorts. Several years ago I had a group that was brought up wearing shorts, (before I took over). This was a monumental problem when we went to meets or asked them to go without shorts during meet run through (they were 15 ish). The kids were so worried about what they looked like and embarrassed they could not compete. Yes it was that bad. Since then (about 10 years now) we do not wear shorts unless it's cold and they can wear leggins, (which isn't very often since we live in SoCal). We have one of the larger boys team in state and honestly the girls don't know any different. They workout in complete confidence and no one cares, not even the parents.

Our gym encourages them for bars. Dear lord the kids legs get so beat up they need that extra protection. My girls pretty much wear them to every practice. Maybe a practice before a meet they nix them.

Our gym allows them only during bar work but only for the older girls. The girls can wear sports bras and shorts from July-Sept but only if it's really hot. The A/C in our gym is very rarely turned on.
How do they do bars in sports bra and shorts... ouch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back